Guest Questions

Beverly213
Level 2
Omaha, NE

Guest Questions

I'm new to Airbnb hosting. Currently, my home is listed for Instabook. I have 9 bookings so far and only 2 have a profile. I can't find anything about my guest other than their name and phone number-is this normal?

Also, my home is listed for 8 people. I have security cameras at the front door and garage. What do I do if more than 8 people sleepover? How do you decide if you should even do anything at all? What options do I have?

New Host Beverly

9 Replies 9

@Beverly213  You don't have to use Instant Book (I don't recommend it for newer hosts), and also you can change the settings so that only guests with verified ID and positive reviews may use that feature. The rest will send requests.

It's normal that new and unreviewed listings attract a higher share of first-time guests, partly because the savvier guests are wary of scams and aim for listings with established reputations. But new listings are also magnets for dodgy bookings, including people planning unauthorized parties. With a home as spacious and affordable as yours, you'll have to be extremely vigilant against that. 

Your House Rules should specify that no unregistered guests/visitors are permitted on the property at any time. If you catch someone breaking that rule, it's better to terminate the booking and remove the entire group than to wait it out and increase the odds that it will spiral into a situation out of your control.

Beverly213
Level 2
Omaha, NE

Thanks, Andrew for your info. I will check that out more thoroughly. What can be done if more guests show up/sleep than permitted?

@Beverly213  The bottom line is that you're the boss of your property, and nobody has a right to be there without your consent. But if you need to exercise your right to remove unpaid guests or end an unruly booking, all Airbnb can do for you is process a cancellation, which usually involves refunding guests for any unused nights. They can't get in there to do the dirty work. 

If you're not comfortable confronting guests to enforce your rules, you might want to enlist a co-host who has some skills in conflict management. Whether local law enforcement will extend any help definitely varies by location, but as a citizen you can always contact them to ask hypothetically how they handle this type of situation.

You might ultimately find that you need more capacity to vet your guests and take a real security deposit than Airbnb offers, so I'm not 100% sure it's the right fit for you. You'll ultimately need a strong grip on how you're going to run your business and keep the property under control; the happiest hosts are the ones who accept that Airbnb is nothing more than a tool they use to advertise. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Beverly213 Agree with everything Andrew said. Further, you would be wise to have security cameras installed that allow you to keep an eye on comings and goings. If you can swing it, do in person check in and require all guests to show ID. At least until you're experienced and established.

"No parties or entertaining without clearing it first through the host" in your house rules needs to go. Be unequivocal about parties, and also about unauthorized guests. They are not allowed. Full stop. The key to success on Airbnb is to screen your guests carefully, learn what red flags to watch out for, and set your listing up carefully and thoughtfully, to discourage the wrong type of guest.

None of this is to scare you, but you need to go into this with your eyes open. I also recommend new hosts spend some time on this forum having a browse, read the help pages on Airbnb, and be familiar with all terms and policies as well.

Dear Colleen,

Thank you for responding. Yesterday I put, "No parties or entertaining without first clearing it through the host," because I have had two guests ask about hosting a baby/wedding shower. I am ok with that, just no parties. I can still remove that wording if you feel I should.

I thought most hosts were Instabook, that is what is recommended on the Airbnb website. I will also change that setting.

Thanks again,

Beverly

@Beverly213 Airbnb announced a ban on parties and events and if you are seen to be encouraging them in any way shape or form, your listing could be suspended.

https://news.airbnb.com/airbnb-announces-global-party-ban/

If Airbnb recommends you do something, it’s generally best to do the opposite. Their main concern is guests and bookings, not hosts. Guests pay the high service fees and bring in the money, not hosts. 

Hi Colleen,

Thank you so much for that link. I will update my listing and House Rules. If guests ask about showers, etc. I will send them the link you provided.

Thanks again,

Beverly

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Beverly213  If you are going to use Instant Book, which I don't recommmend, it's imperative that you check all the requirements available in order for guests to book. 

And even if a guest IBs, you need to communiate with them to get a sense of their intentions and them, if they have entered the correct guest count, read your house rules, etc. 

Have you done this with those 9 bookings?

Also, you have not written a proper listing description. Go back and edit and fill out all the available fields. There is no information at all about the house itself, you haven't said anything about the type of guest groups it would be suitable for (and who you would like to attract). 

And I hate to tell you, but that light colored wall to wall carpet is going to get dirty in no time. Airbnbs need to be as bulletprooof and easily cleanable as possible.

Thank you Sarah for your feedback. I will update my listing description.

Beverly