Host account hacked

Matthew2134
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Host account hacked

I am an Airbnb host with 2 rented properties in London, UK. Last night someone hacked into my account and delisted both properties and cancelled all of my 17 reservations including one due to arrive tomorrow. I have contacted Airbnb about this but after 12 hours I have had zero response. I keep getting through to hopeless agents in the Philippines who just say that someone will contact me soon by email. 

Help!!!

4 Replies 4
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Matthew2134 👋

Has this been resolved for you now as it's been a while since you posted? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

No my problem has not been resolved. My account is still blocked and both my hosted listing are suspended. Airbnb has been absolutely awful their customer service is dreadful. They do answer their phones, but typically you just get an agent in the Philippines who knows nothing and has no ability to help at all (although they will keep you hanging around for half an hour before they admit that). They invariably say that the problem "will be passed to another team" and then you get nothing except text messages offering you their completely unhelpful Help system.

This has been going on now for 3 weeks. I actually think that Airbnb has given up and no longer cares about anyone. To date, I do not know why my account has been blocked or when they might deign to actually do anything about it. Their communication has been worse than useless.

I think it is time for me to quit Airbnb and rent out my apartments long term. This is extraordinarily stupid of Airbnb because last year I made about $80,000 and they made about $18,000 but all future income will now all be lost.

Hi @Matthew2134 

It does appear both listings are suspended? Is it possible that Airbnb suspended your listings and it wasn't someone who hacked your account?

Your overall rating for both listings was a bit low (4.63)? Did you have a recent issue with a guest? Sometimes Airbnb will suspend listings and cancel reservations without warning to Host for things such as:

Low Star Ratings (especially for cleanliness issues)

Guest Complaints regarding safety, discrimination

Neighbor complaints

Parties at the Listing

The account was definitely hacked in April of this year. I do not know how the hacker managed to bypass the 2 stage security controls. The hacker sent out various silly messages to guests using my account and cancelled 3 of my reservations. Airbnb then decided that this was unacceptable behaviour by me (although the actions were not done by me) and proceeded to cancel a further 14 reservations which I had in place without consulting me at all.

I had previously had 1 regrettable incident in February of this year when a customers bags which they had left in storage before checking in were interfered with at my property (by my own daughter unfortunately) and they left a one star review. Apart from this I have not had any problems with guests or neighbours and all of the visitors have been happy as far as I know.

Meanwhile Airbnb has not bothered to contact me at all and my account remains blocked after 3 weeks. I have basically given up on Airbnb, their customer service is non-existant and their communications are zero. I have now listed my apartments on other better managed web sites.

It is a pity that Airbnb which used to be a great facility has become so awful.