LA home sharing certificate

Kelli371
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

LA home sharing certificate

I am new to hosting, and my space is currently under construction.  But, in the attempt to get knowledgable and ready, I starting poking around the AIrbnB site to start my property's profile, etc.  I got to a certain point and it said that due to my address, I'm require to get a LA home sharing certificate, and after doing so, I"m to return to the site with the number before being able to proceed.     So, of course, I follow the link provided by Airbnb, I fill out the application and send in $189.    A couple weeks later I got an email denying my application because they could see that 1- the space is still under construction and 2- a certificate of occupancy is required, and I didn't have one yet.  

Fine, I thought, I'm too early, I'll circle back later, but guess what?  LA City is refusing to refund the money I sent to them.    

I was simply wishing to get the airbnb site up and ready, while keeping it inactive until I really can begin hosting.    

The purpose of this comment is to let you know I think it's **bleep**ty that airbnb has that as a step that is needed before a host can actually look around and get to know the hosting site before they are ready to start hosting.    So I have a couple months more before construction is finished, and I could be learning more about airbnb, but I can't until after the property is ready to share.

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes it's a shame you decided to apply  for a license before your property was eligible for one. No reason the city should return your application fee. @Kelli371 

Nothing to stop you doing your market research around supply and demand/what your competitors offer/ how Airbnb and other platforms work /how you want to decorate /furnish to appeal to guests you've identified as your target market . 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Kelli371 sadly you have been caught out once - But you could be caught out twice. when you are ready to get your permit and list your property do not publish until you are ready to open your calendar. Airbnb boosts new hosts in the search rankings for a period of time and it is vital you get bookings during this period to maintain your search position.

In the meantime look through the Airbnb help articles and this community centre to get up to speed with things.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

In a way it is a Godsend, there is a lot to learn and this gives you the time to do so; about Airbnb and especially LA which is a whole other story.