Listing Critique for a Newbie in the Adirondacks, NY

Rose2552
Level 2
Syracuse, NY

Listing Critique for a Newbie in the Adirondacks, NY

Hi community!!

I am so excited to have listed my cabin on Airbnb and have had two wonderful experiences and two bookings that have caused concern (extra guests, overusing amenities, not cleaning up dishes etc.). I'd love it if I could get some feedback on where to tighten up my listing to try and prevent the breaking of house rules. Looking forward to whatever feedback I receive.

With smiles, Rose

🌟Listing link: Cabin in Woodgate · ★New · Studio · 1 bed · 1 bath

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 12.07.41 PM.png

[Content modified by OCM]

17 Replies 17
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Rose2552 

Congratulations!  So Cute!  Your a new listing and not your listing just maybe work on vetting Guests.  No were do you even give a thought of more than two, but yes when your new and self check in the vultures come out, lol

The only things maybe is I wouldn't mention larger groups yet until you get 2 adults with no problem Haha,

I was thinking a cabin in New York that II can bring my fur baby.  I haven't lived back east for a while but that should be a big plus.

Maybe set up doggie dishes and a doggy bed.  Also just a thought charge a pet fee.  Pet owners expect it dogs shed or pooped where I didn't look and we aren't careless but we aren't paranoid.  Non pet owners also want to feel I am Cheaper.  Everything is perspective.

Thank you, Marie. 💕 I appreciate your critique and feedback. 😁At this particular moment it means so much to me because one of the vultures has landed. I am currently in a nightmare with my current guest. As I am a couple's cabin, I only allow two people as you mention. Well, my current guest has broken every rule. There are currently 8 people sitting around my fire pit that they previously left unattended and required the fire department to come to extinguish. I have sent messages to the guest about guest capacity and have reached out to Airbnb providing numerous pictures of all the people at the cabin. So needless to say, I take all your feedback seriously!! I am working on updating my rules because my fourth guest is one of the vultures you mention. AND, she got the discount as being one of the first three guests to book. Lesson learned. I worked so hard to create a great experience for my guests and this guest has me second guessing whether I should be doing this at all. So my big question is: How do I vet guests? 🙏 💕

@Rose2552 

I won't guarantee this is best but this is how I deal with rule breakers

ABB is the platform my business uses.  It is my business not ABB business.

I have to manage my business just as if they rented on any platform.

My Guest limit is 2 they exceed my limit.  I don't believe in financial penalties all that really does is say you can break the rules if I catch you 100 dollars

You break my rules I just show up and say reservation cancelled leave now.  No discussions no debates.ABB CS is support for things ABB is involved in they don't know you, the guest or your listing.

Thank you!!! I have already taken your advice: Instant Book is off, I took out the ask permission if you want guests to visit, and added a pet fee. So if I understand correctly, if your guests breaks the 2 person rule, you go there and tell them to leave? The piece of work at my cabin right now would refuse to leave and I am worried when I go there tomorrow for check out time, they aren't going to leave. I have put a call in with my local police because my reasoning is if there are more than two people, the others are trespassing. The police don't see it that way because they basically said it's my problem. So, no sleep for me tonight; and tomorrow I'm going there not sure what to expect. But, I totally get that I need to realize I don't work for ABB...this is my business. I am feeling incredibly heartbroken at the moment because I'm not sure I am cut out for this. I am appreciating your kindness to take the time to share with me. 😁💕🙏

@Rose2552 

For me my first vet is communication  I don't need a book but can they carry out a simple conversation How are you?  Why interested?  Guests aren't  doing you a favor neither vare you doing  then a favor..Something mutually beneficial.

Then I have a good idea of my market.  I will ask mure questions especially unusual for my market.

My max is also two.  I do not accept an unnamed guest.because only 2 been easy for me everyone gas a profile and added to ege reservation.  I learned the hard way each guest must have a legal ID Bhat matches profile name.  Yes some people argue I have had two this weekend.  Your asking for a  name not their bank account. They know my name and ABB has reviewed my ID What is the secret?

Can we communicate  and be respectful to each other because the preliminary designs the future experience

More to think about! My current vulture was new to ABB at the time of her booking. I had no idea about vetting and was so excited to get bookings. In total I have 14 bookings and they came in quick. I am a three-season cabin so I close at the end of October until April and only listed in August. Thankfully most of my other bookings have reviews and 5-star ratings, so feeling thankful for that. Do you think it is too late to ask for the second guest name now? Very few have given the 2nd name. In fact, the bookings where I have both names are hosts!! Lol. And, you are so right about communication! This guest didn't respond to anything I sent except when I asked if she'd like me to leave out dog bowls, treats, blanket for the couch, etc. She said she didn't need anything and then instead of a bringing a dog guest, she brought 7 other people, Lol. Your advice has been invaluable. I know there are going to be ups and downs but this situation really took the wind out of my sails. Hopefully the changes I've made to the listing will help. Thank you!!! Thank you!! Thank you! 🙏😁💕

Branko38
Level 2
Skopje, North Macedonia

@Rose2552 

Asking for guests names we do it starting with the "booking confirmation" message and then remind them again 7 days before and finally on the day before. Some of the guests doesn't read messages at all, while some communicate perfectly. That depends on the person. Some just don't care.

Here is how our message looks like when we are asking them on the day before check-in:
"

Hey (guest name),

Preparing for your visit in Macedonia with us we noticed that the second guest is not included in this reservation.
Would you mind please sharing this trip with him/her? We really need this information.
There is a button on the top of this thread called "Share trip" that you can use for that.
The platform is going to ask for email/s of the guests that are going to be a part of this trip. With insertion of the emails, the other guests are going to receive an email and a link.
By following of that link, he/she will become automatically a part of this reservation.
If some of the guests are minors (less then 18) then we need their name and surname as in passport, and a picture of the passport too.

Thank you in advance!

(Host first name)

* The guests that are traveling with you are not required to have an Airbnb account but just a working email that they check normally.

Bill1234
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Hi there @Rose2552 ! Looks like a great listing and an awesome place to stay!
Professionally: I would not allow pets, and I would raise your nightly rate immediately and NOT allow more than two persons at a time.

Personally: I would prefer a de-cluttered place. Your photos are good quality, but it looks very, very cluttered and very personal. Yeah A simpler looking space is easier for the g

housekeeping and I would recommend a Schlage ENCODE keyless locking system (which you can monitor on your phone) and a high-speed Internet connection and advertise it as a business retreat for professionals and a retreat for couples only.

Cathy1183
Level 2
Texas, United States

@Rose2552 I'm still pretty new myself, but am a long-time AirBnB guest. I did not offer a discount and will not to this day. I never had instant book on and will not book someone until I have had at least some sort of  conversation with them. I do this because, as a guest, I have always sent a message telling who I am and why I am visiting, even if I instant book. I won't book anyone who isn't verified and won't book anyone who hasn't filled out a profile or doesn't have reviews, unless I have conversed with them through messages. I'm super cautious because my guest house is right across from my house on our ranch, and I spend a lot of time alone here part of the year. I don't want anyone here that I am uncomfortable about. 

Earlier this summer I had a booking request for the entire month of august and the guest asked me for a discount for long-term booking. I talked with some local host friends and all of them had bad experiences with long-term bookings. I told the guy I would not offer a discount because my place is priced very fairly already and that I would need to know a bit about his plans, why he was staying in the area, etc. His story was acceptable to me but he again wanted to know "how low will you go on the price?" Don't know how to explain except I think if someone is trying to talk me down on the price, they probably aren't my kind of guest. He ended up not booking after all. 

Your story is making me think I need to contact our sheriff's office to see how they would handle an STR squatter and/or trespassers! Best of luck to you!

Cathy

Brooke421
Level 2
Mammoth Lakes, CA

Hi @Rose2552 , so with any unit not just being a new host it's not uncommon to need to work out quirks. So dont feel bad!

I recommend charging a pet fee $50-$100, to not only cover possible issues/damage but to encourage guests taking this seriously. 

For rules, I highly suggest that when your guest books you send a message saying thank you for booking, I will send details as we get closer. Please review rules and guide book on ___ page ahead of time, and reach out if you have any questions in the meantime. 

With your check in message, reference any important details including checkout time. I also recommend a night before checkout message, where you outline the required check out things: start dishwasher, remove all trash etc. And it's important that you note in this message that additional fees may be imposed if everything is not done. 

I recommend creating a printed guide book, with unit details, rules and local tips and keeping it both in the unit and if possible as a pdf link you can share with guests in messages. You can also create this on airbnb as a guidebook, and use that as your shareable link. 

Communication îs everything.  Both informing you guests about expectations, requirements and in order to assess fees if things are extra messy, broken etc. If you do not note on the platform and in messaging that there can be a fee for skipped checkout procedures, you cannot charge the guest. This is very important. 

By sharing the rules in a before arrival message, printing them in the unit and having them available on airbnb you can help guests to have access to them and encourage people to follow rules. 

I also suggest, you put a note that says request if additional people. You do not have to allow them. You can also set up a fee for additional guests. So if someone wants to bring 3 people and you allow it, they have to pay an extra $ per night. 

Arman736
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hi Rose,

First off, I haven’t read other comments, so if anything here overlaps, it just reinforces its importance.

1. Your pictures are good, but the space looks a bit busy. I recommend removing the carpets, except for those under tables where people will be sitting. This will allow the beauty of the hardwood floors to shine through, making the space feel more inviting and open. It also reduces the hassle of cleaning the carpets after each booking. Overall, less is more—especially in photos, which are crucial for selling the listing.

2. To avoid unwanted guests, make sure you’re not using the Instant Book feature. Instead, have guests reach out to book. This gives you a chance to welcome them and ask questions about the nature of their stay (e.g., family trip), whether they will have pets, and confirm the total number of guests. Once they provide this information, you have it on record, and if they arrive with more people or pets than agreed upon, you can refuse entry since they weren’t truthful. I’ve done this before. Also, consider adding a note to your listing like, “This is a quiet, relaxing space perfect for unwinding. Absolutely no parties or events allowed.”

3. Read guests' past reviews. If you see any warning signs, discuss them with the guest, letting them know you’ve noticed these comments and want to ensure nothing similar happens during their stay. Once guests realize you’re aware, they’re less likely to take advantage, or they’ll move on to another listing.

4. Set a maximum number of pets allowed, and consider adding a pet fee per pet per night in your listing settings.

I hope you find these tips helpful. Let me know if I can assist further.

Cheers,
Arman

Hi @Rose2552 , your accommodation is very attractive, and the idea of warming up in front of the fire very romantic for couples. Unfortunately, this idea may have been yours alone. I share the opinions of all the people who have written so far. I only check in and check out in person, and also I don't accept animals, I don't accept direct booking, and I try to have a chat before accepting someone. I also check if they are verified identities or ask who they are travelling with. Here in Italy you go to the police and evict the person who has broken the rules. I advise you not to go alone to check out tomorrow but to call the police and I hope you solve this nightmare as best you can. I hope you will be more careful in the future. Best regards and let us know how you resolve it.

Carolina2186
Level 1
Manasquan, NJ

Dear Rose,

lovely and exciting listing!
Some guests will not follow rules regardless of how hard the host works to create transparency and a good experience.

from my end this is what I have done on my listing to help me with the concerns you listed. 
- minimum age is 25 

- add a  fee for anybody after your maximum number of guest.
- list house rules on various locations (welcome email, checkin message, behind main door and refrigerator door)

- after somebody books, send them a message confirming, no parties, those listed will be the only ones at the property at all times..)  

- don’t leave all amenities out. Leave only what you think is reasonable for them to use and all other amenities place them on a locked closet. 

Unfortunately I get few guests that are cleared on the rules but want to pretend they don’t know them to proceed with what they want to do. On my end, guests want to rent my house during weeding to stay and also host parties for their families. When I have to confront them they act as if they didn’t know and that they will follow rules but as soon as review time comes, they will retaliate against the host and property. When this happens some of the Airbnb customers service members do not take the time to help you to review the retaliation matters so who ends up hurting is your listing. 
Guests are provided with all information to decide if they want to stay at a listing. Some may complain as retaliation for not letting them use the property for parties and others will complain to see if you send them money back. Hosts need the support from Airbnb to be able to stand up to guests that do not want to follow the rules without fear of retaliation. 

Cedrick19
Level 1
Clarksville, TN

Very nice and cozy! This property looks so peaceful, tranquil, and serene. I love it.