Answered!
Polly164
Level 5
Geelong, Australia

Listing feedback: Polly, Geelong, Garden Room

Hello!

I would love feedback on this listing: www.airbnb.com.au/h/gardenroomgeelong 

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 10.41.37 AM.png

I set up this listing many months ago, and the bookings were coming in fast at first. Guests loved the room, especially as it is next to the bathroom, and they get almost complete use of this (except for my one shower a day). The bedroom is large, has lovely views, and the storage is excellent. Guests also get free use of the house, and their own mini fridge too. 

Since May this year, however, I have not received any booking requests, and promotions are not receiving any views either. My other listings at the very same property are getting bookings and views. I am a SuperHost too, so the lack of views for promotions is frustrating. 

Over Easter I had a hostile guest stay in the room, unfortunately. They made multiple complaints against me, including false reports about safety and cleanliness. I had to write multiple reports to counter this. AirBnb did refund me for the trouble (of getting professional assessments about the guest's claims) and said that all the complaints had been resolved. I have also contacted Air Support twice now, asking if there is anything else going on with the listing that I might be able to fix? They've said no. 

I am so confused as to why my listing is not receiving views still! I have continuing five star reviews (I often upgrade bookings for the smaller room to this larger listing). I followed all of the advice of Air (professional photos, reviewed descriptions etc), the only exception being it is request-only (as I am sharing, I want to filter guests), but I respond immediately. I just cannot seem to attract even views!

Any suggestions? Is it possible my listing has been "shadow banned" on Air? Is that a thing? Is there a way to fix this?

Much appreciate any help might you might be able to provide. 

(Content modified by OCM)

1 Best Answer

@Polly164 

Someone else's great idea but works if you delete your pi8ctures and then upload the same in different order changes the photo tour.

Another idea, your reviews and your and focus on you and your house. Maybe play with your title and ad because sorry not visiting you haha I did see a couple of reviews that mention great location great restaurants.  Don't make a guest dig to figure about why good we are all to lazy haha

If you have a low rental rate that does effect Airbnb placement.  Turning on Instabook I do here and there.  I usually set my minimum notice higher 3  or 4 days.

It is not a duplicate listing if you do a new listing of 2 rooms for families   Using new host discount gets that listing on top but casually mention you have  1 room  listings

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Polly164 

I agree looking amazing,  

Sometimes lack of clicks is just a different cover photo or a  tweak to your title.

@Marie8425 Thank you! I’ll try changing the cover photo. Sigh. Ita so perplexing though. 

@Polly164 

No I just look at it this way my great photos didn't inspire.  Sometimes Guest just don't have a good eye lol.  They are still nice just not as good tasted as me haha.  I change mine around every few months because probably the same people on the platform and my picture gets old.  I don't take new pictures just reorganize

@Marie8425 Haha! I like your approach. I’ve just gone with the AirBnB recommended photo order, even though I think it looks odd. And I’ve changed the title slightly to more closely match the other listings. 

Six rounds of promotions and not one view though! I used to work in IT. This really looks like an AirB problem not a me problem. 

@Polly164 

Someone else's great idea but works if you delete your pi8ctures and then upload the same in different order changes the photo tour.

Another idea, your reviews and your and focus on you and your house. Maybe play with your title and ad because sorry not visiting you haha I did see a couple of reviews that mention great location great restaurants.  Don't make a guest dig to figure about why good we are all to lazy haha

If you have a low rental rate that does effect Airbnb placement.  Turning on Instabook I do here and there.  I usually set my minimum notice higher 3  or 4 days.

It is not a duplicate listing if you do a new listing of 2 rooms for families   Using new host discount gets that listing on top but casually mention you have  1 room  listings

@Polly164 

My brain moves too fast sometimes or maybe just my mouth haha

1 listing 2 bedrooms so higher than your 1 bedroom price but your higher in the room search results

Oh, I love these ideas:

1. A new listing for the two rooms together, or even a new listing for a couple with extra services.
  2. Switching Instant Book on and Off during different periods. I could do this at the moment as they would have to book ahead by a couple of weeks anyway (there is a booking in the whole house).

Thank you for all of your advice! 

@Polly164 

This is also another great perspective not my idea but I try and use it.

Think of the Airbnb Platform like a magazine to the guest

the guest is looking at the picture and title to decide which is a good spot to consider.

The guest clicks on what peaks their interest.

When the guest reads your ad what sells them on the choice?  Why is your location Good?  What benefit to the guest?

Guidebooks also tell that story.  The guest probably only has a general idea of your neighborhood. What will give them memories to take home?

This is a good approach. However, it does not explain why I am not getting any views at all. The lack of views implies my Listing is not being shown in the promotional emails or search lists. 

@Polly164 

I have a feeling your struggle is really the first page impressions.  Everything else looks good a good number of reviews all positive but maybe attacking the other areas instead of lowering price makes you a valuable resource.  You have more and better reviews then me being on the first page constantly is what generates I am always full.

What do you mean by addressing the other areas? Do you mean things like Instant Book? 

@Polly164 What I am encouraging is your selling a product your rental.  If somebody has a product deeply discounted with a description that doesn't say what benefit you will receive what is your first impression?  Do you buy?  Do you spend the week looking for a problem?  Or do you figure so cheap I won't worry about damaging?  If you don't managed your ad you are just asking for trouble.   Ir isn't the same answer in every market.

Sometimes I lower my price sometimes I increase it and do better.  Sometimes I turn on Instabook for a few days.  You can't just post pictures, a guest can see your effort or lack of effort.  That is the guess's first impression of you,

Oksana127
Level 2
Riga, Latvia

@Polly164 I can understand your frustration, especially given that your listing was performing well earlier and now isn’t getting views or bookings. Based on the details you’ve provided, here are a few things you could consider to potentially fix this issue:

1. Shadowbanning on Airbnb: While Airbnb has never publicly confirmed a “shadowban,” it is possible that certain listings may be deprioritized in the algorithm due to issues like guest complaints. Although Airbnb has said your complaints have been resolved, the hostile guest incident may still have affected your listing's ranking.

• Solution: One thing you could try is temporarily unlisting the room for a few weeks and then relisting it. This might give it a fresh start in the search algorithm.
  2. Adjusting Booking Settings: Since you’re using the request-only feature, this might be limiting your audience. Many users filter for instant-book options, as it reduces back-and-forth communication, especially for spontaneous bookings. Even though you respond immediately, the mere presence of request-only may be discouraging views.

• Solution: If you’re set on keeping the request-only feature, consider experimenting with instant-book for a limited time to see if views and bookings increase. You could also set stricter guest requirements for instant-book to filter out guests who may not fit your preferences.
  3. Competitive Pricing: Check if there have been any changes in your local market. Prices can fluctuate due to seasonality, local events, or increased competition. If similar listings are priced lower, you might be unintentionally outpricing yourself.

• Solution: Review your pricing compared to similar listings in your area. You could temporarily lower your rate or offer promotions to attract bookings and rebuild your listing’s activity.
  4. Listing Freshness: Even with great photos and descriptions, Airbnb listings that aren't regularly updated might lose traction in search results.

• Solution: Regularly update your listing with new images, tweak your title, and adjust the description to include recent local events or improvements to the property. Airbnb’s algorithm may reward listings that show signs of being actively maintained.
  5. Guest Preferences: Some guests may be uncomfortable sharing a space with the host, especially when it's shared facilities like bathrooms. Even though you offer them nearly exclusive access to the bathroom, this may still be a factor.

• Solution: Consider emphasizing the privacy aspect in your description. Make it clear how often you’ll be using the shared spaces and if there are ways to offer more privacy.
  6. Request Airbnb Review: You’ve already contacted Airbnb, but it might be worth asking for a deeper review of your listing’s performance and visibility. Politely request if they can investigate if there are algorithmic factors at play that may be affecting your listing.

7. Diversify your marketing: Since Airbnb views are limited right now, you could try promoting your listing outside of Airbnb. Use social media, local tourism boards, or even Google My Business to direct traffic to your listing. Sometimes a little external push can bring in organic traffic.

I hope these suggestions help in getting your listing back on track! Good luck!

This is really helpful, thank you.