Listing feedback for long-time host

Answered!
Sally10
Level 9
Mill Valley, CA

Listing feedback for long-time host

Hi, I am Sally I've been hosting for 13 years. I absolutely love Airbnb and I use a few other platforms as well. 80 percent of my booking are from Airbnb. I've been seeing all their amazing renewed homes bought and wow totally done over to a cost. I would never and could never afford. So take a look at my sweet get place I am "Magical Mill  Valley" coined the phrase.

I will never sell, I am a fast quick learner senior lol.

Please tell me what I should do to update it just a little? because my guest love it due to the fact I have kept it this way, but I have to keep up. It's a lovely duplex, I travel a lot. Looking for suggestions. Doing a new photo shoot in Sept. 

I trust you be frank that is why I am asking. I think I am at the age of baby boomer 70's. 

P.s really looking forward to this xoxoxox

View on AirbnbHome in Mill Valley · ★4.93 · 3 bedrooms · 4 beds · 2 bathrooms

View on AirbnbCabin in Mill Valley · ★4.95 · 3 bedrooms · 3 beds · 2 bathrooms

**[Title and content updated for relevancy]

1 Best Answer

Hi @Sally10  You are my dream host. I wish I could have my house like this! 

I read all your reviews, clearly you are doing something right and targetting the right market as no one has complained and you've kept your ratings up! That's not easy, sometimes you can get a guest group in who complains not realising what they have booked. You've positioned carefully about not being a 'new luxury place' (I get that as I have to do the same).

What do you want to "keep up"? Have you received private guest feedback given nothing publicly said?

I'm assuming that you are already maintaining as you go, but if not, I had experienced hosts advise me, comfort is everything and wear n tear is not. So if chairs or beds start to become uncomfortable, time for new ones. If floors or walls are showing wear, sand them, replace them or repaint them etc. If bathroom cabinets or showers are showing their age, maybe start with a bathroom. Although I'm not convinced spanking luxury new bathrooms for all the investment, are worth it in an airbnb. I've stayed in all sorts of airbnbs and the best ones were the funky, not neccessarily luxury bathrooms. Better off throwing the money into additional features.

I'm impressed with the amount of white you have, clearly its keeping clean. I just cannot imagine keeping my place with white furniture given we get family bookings at a farm with lots of mud when it rains. 

Do you look after the property yourself, clean it yourself, anything you notice that would annoy guests that they haven't told you? Spa (so much work and cost yikes!), dry sauna, Sonos wired sound? Whatever ideas have you had suggestions on? New features like EV charging ? Pool table, outdoor games table?

Ask some friends for their thoughts as well. Although they will be biased by what they like, not what your target market is. And that's the trick. I advise on go to market strategy for a living/day job, and its all about knowing and meeting your target market's needs. It seems to be you are already doing this. And when in doubt, go and speak to a customer. They'll tell you! 

So can you reach out to guests in the last 12 months with a personal message asking for any feedback on what they suggest you could improve? To me, thats the best place for input. Sounds like from your reviews, some will answer. If you get even 20% response rate out of 50, that's a good sample!

Don't ask your builder (I did that, they give advice that would help add value to the place but that's often the opposite to what an airbnb needs!)

Good luck

Kind regs

Mary

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Sophia
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Sally10, I love seeing your passion and enthusiasm for hosting 😀 the energy you exude is truly positive, it's great to see this! 🎉

Your listings are gorgeous, I love the cosy cottage feel 😍

I hope you don't mind but I edited your post to add a direct link to your listing. This way fellow hosts can view it easily and provide some feedback 🤗

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks, @Sophia,

I appreciate your response.  And adding it toSophia, thank you for your response. Your input is genuinely appreciated, and I love that you edited and added it to a direct link. xoxo Very thoughtful. 

Hi @Sally10  You are my dream host. I wish I could have my house like this! 

I read all your reviews, clearly you are doing something right and targetting the right market as no one has complained and you've kept your ratings up! That's not easy, sometimes you can get a guest group in who complains not realising what they have booked. You've positioned carefully about not being a 'new luxury place' (I get that as I have to do the same).

What do you want to "keep up"? Have you received private guest feedback given nothing publicly said?

I'm assuming that you are already maintaining as you go, but if not, I had experienced hosts advise me, comfort is everything and wear n tear is not. So if chairs or beds start to become uncomfortable, time for new ones. If floors or walls are showing wear, sand them, replace them or repaint them etc. If bathroom cabinets or showers are showing their age, maybe start with a bathroom. Although I'm not convinced spanking luxury new bathrooms for all the investment, are worth it in an airbnb. I've stayed in all sorts of airbnbs and the best ones were the funky, not neccessarily luxury bathrooms. Better off throwing the money into additional features.

I'm impressed with the amount of white you have, clearly its keeping clean. I just cannot imagine keeping my place with white furniture given we get family bookings at a farm with lots of mud when it rains. 

Do you look after the property yourself, clean it yourself, anything you notice that would annoy guests that they haven't told you? Spa (so much work and cost yikes!), dry sauna, Sonos wired sound? Whatever ideas have you had suggestions on? New features like EV charging ? Pool table, outdoor games table?

Ask some friends for their thoughts as well. Although they will be biased by what they like, not what your target market is. And that's the trick. I advise on go to market strategy for a living/day job, and its all about knowing and meeting your target market's needs. It seems to be you are already doing this. And when in doubt, go and speak to a customer. They'll tell you! 

So can you reach out to guests in the last 12 months with a personal message asking for any feedback on what they suggest you could improve? To me, thats the best place for input. Sounds like from your reviews, some will answer. If you get even 20% response rate out of 50, that's a good sample!

Don't ask your builder (I did that, they give advice that would help add value to the place but that's often the opposite to what an airbnb needs!)

Good luck

Kind regs

Mary

Mary's advice is good. 

I sometimes stay in my Airbnb and always thought the pillows weren't amazing, but no one ever said so. 

Then one day, a guest had left behind all new pillows!  amazing!   

Then, a few weeks later, someone complained that we should get new pillows.  Lol, we already had them. 

Then someone else, the very next day, said how amazingly comfortable the pillows are. 

Moral of the story - every guest has a different view.  Don't jump on one criticism - only deal with it if it is recurring, and if you can. 

But if you scores are good and your bookings are good, who cares?  

A follow up on my own posting.

I had cause to ask some previous guests of mine about improvements.

Fascinating what I got back! Wasn't a lot and certainly so true all guests have different perspectives...so I ignored some....but I did get a few gems including one that was a safety issue which we will address (ie very slippery outdoor tiles near the pool). So it was a maintenance issue rather than an 'improvement feataure' issue. Some said nothing, even though I gave them a list of additional wishlist features of the expensive investment variety!

Sometimes you don't have to do much at all but just get the basics and comfort right, keep up your maintenance and address any safety risks

Heather289
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

It looks amazing, and your ratings are great anyway.  I would just leave well alone