Listing was unlisted with zero communication

Alexander1253
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

Listing was unlisted with zero communication

Hi, posting here to see if anyone can provide any help with an issue of my property being unlisted without be given any reason why. The only information I've been able to gather is that possibly a neighbor sent a video about guests at my property. Of course they would not share said video with me, or even detail what it was of.  When I asked the guests about it, they sent me photos that they had taken of themselves which do not show any party, and they were clearly there to enjoy the mountain. They suspect the neighbor was racist or xenophobic and didn't like that they spoke Spanish while they were outside. 

Airbnb customer support is completely unhelpful in this matter and keep referring to the safety team who is "investigating". 

I've been a super host for years, have multiple listings, and have always held Airbnb in high regard, but this experience is changing my view. 

Also, how are hosts supposed to control the actions of guests? If I tell guests the house sleeps 8 and then they invite a friend over, does that constitute a party? Why is it the host that is punished when we obviously would not allow parties as it is against the rules of the platform and would be a surefire way to get your listing canceled. Someone who strives for super host and continues to get that would obviously not jeopardize their listing/income.

It's really frustrating to have this happen

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Alexander1253 

sorry to hear this .

If you host remotely then you can see whether guests are meeting your house rules in terms of whether they bring in people not on the booking  and partying  by installing CCTV.

did neighbours complain your guests were partying? What's your relationship like with your neighbours? Do they have your number in case of any concerns? 

Alexander1253
Level 2

@Helen3 

I haven't wanted to install CCTV as I think it's nice to have privacy. I have given the neighbors my number but they've never used it. They've usually been friendly to us.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you don't want to install CCTV it's going to be difficult to know if guests bring visitors not on the booking/party/break any house rules against late night noise /disapprove any false claims from neighbours 

most decent guests don't have any issues with outdoor CCTV.

Alexander1253
Level 2

True, but I guess I thought that was the guests responsibility to follow the rules, not mine to try and remotely enforce the rules.  I don't feel like I have much recourse if a guest breaks the rules.

My main concern at the moment is getting the listing back up and going. Is there anyway to get information about that? Airbnb has provided basically none, and no timeline or anything, so I'm just in the dark about it. I don't even fully know what the issue is/was, so I don't even know what I should be trying to prevent or do to solve the issue.