Mandatory guest identification on check-in (India)

Answered!

Mandatory guest identification on check-in (India)

I host a couple of Airbnb properties on the Malabar coast. Local law enforcement is stringent about maintaining a register for mandatory entry of guests. A couple of guests were not happy about this stating that Airbnb had already verified. Any insights or advice about this will be greatly appreciated! 

1 Best Answer
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Michael8120 I ask for IDs from all guests and I think all hosts should. They are not too happy but the quality of my guests improved dramatically. I do it by choice. This what has worked for me:

1. It is my description prominently
  2. It is in house rules. This means it comes up again for them in the process of booking
  3. As soon as they book, I send them a scheduled message thanking them for the reservation and reminding them about this rule

A small handful still complains when the time comes to provide the IDs and at that point I tell them that because my guests satisfaction is of outmost importance and I want to make sure my place is a good match, I put it in the listing; a page comes up at check out when they can still back out; and they get another message immediately upon booking with another option to not stay with me. If they insists that they are worried about their privacy or how info is stored, I tell them they are right to worry about it and that is why I give them all these warnings in advance so they can make a decision that my practices are not for them but nothing can be done now. That usually shuts them up

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Michael8120 put it in your house rules that it is mandatory that guests supply you with XXX as required by the local police. That way the guest cannot really complain.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

That I have done , but guests hardly pay attention to the house rules here in India.Thank you for replying ! 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Michael8120 I ask for IDs from all guests and I think all hosts should. They are not too happy but the quality of my guests improved dramatically. I do it by choice. This what has worked for me:

1. It is my description prominently
  2. It is in house rules. This means it comes up again for them in the process of booking
  3. As soon as they book, I send them a scheduled message thanking them for the reservation and reminding them about this rule

A small handful still complains when the time comes to provide the IDs and at that point I tell them that because my guests satisfaction is of outmost importance and I want to make sure my place is a good match, I put it in the listing; a page comes up at check out when they can still back out; and they get another message immediately upon booking with another option to not stay with me. If they insists that they are worried about their privacy or how info is stored, I tell them they are right to worry about it and that is why I give them all these warnings in advance so they can make a decision that my practices are not for them but nothing can be done now. That usually shuts them up

@Inna22 

Thank you, wow, that's a lot of ways to get the message across. The third point is something I will implement. Much appreciated ! 

Hi Inna22,

I have hosted since 2013 and always have Airbnb do the asking for ID.  I live in Long Beach, California and when I stayed in Scottsdale earlier in the month, I was asked to upload my DL or passport into the app by the Arizonan Airbnb host.

I think this is a good idea and may implement on my end.  It depends on the conversation I have had with the guest. It is a great safeguard, but it is also a big sign of no trust in the vetting that Airbnb has already done.  

That being said, I did have a young guest who tried to change his identity and when I called him on it, he never checked in.  But shouldn't Airbnb provide that to the host upfront?  It would be great if you could click on a booker's profile, see their ID, and any reviews. ID should be a requirement for any booker - instant or otherwise.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes tell them it's a legal requirement from your government and that they won't be able to check in without having done so . @Michael8120 

@Helen3 Thank you for replying😊 Yes this makes sense , shall do this .