More support for sauna filter?

Robert5835
Level 3
Alexandria, VA

More support for sauna filter?

We have a sauna in our Airbnb (basement unit in our house) and I notice it gets great response from both sauna seekers, and those who didn't use it but liked knowing it was there. 20-30% of reviews actively call it out.  Seems to have both direct and halo effects.  Even if you didn't come for that or go in, it casts a getaway light over the whole of your take on the place. 

Makes me wonder why no filter?  I see that there was a thread on that a few years ago here, and sounded like no receptive ears at the mothership.  Seems very similar to something like a hot tub filter.  And judging by the response we get anyway, there are plenty out there who want it. Not to mention how sauna appears to keep growing in popularity, get discussed more in media, etc.  We LOVE ours, on the rare instance where we get to use it when the Airbnb isn't rented.  

Any thoughts on sauna as guest-attracter?  Either from hosts who have one, or those who don't but may have thought about it?  And/or any ideas about to take up the sauna filter cause with the HQ crowd anew?  

P.s. we have an outdoor ice bath too (100 gallon stock tank, think horse trough) but that's not available to guests and while I love it, I suspect would not be near so popular with guests:-).  

Emilie_1-1644926595793.jpeg

28 Replies 28

@Robert5835   I love how I can apply the "Ski In/ Ski Out" filter for listings in snowy Jamaica, but you're right - there's no "Sauna" filter, even for listings in Finland. 

I honestly have no idea what they were thinking. Saunas are a hugely sought-after amenity up here in northern Europe, but the kids in San Francisco decided that what we're really looking for in a holiday home is an Iron. What fun.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Robert5835 and @Anonymous, 

Thanks for sharing this idea here! I know you can filter for hot tubs but I hadn't realised myself saunas weren't an option until your pointed it out. This is something we can certainly relay back to the team.

On a side note, that outdoor ice bath is quite unique, I've never met anyone who had one of them - have your guests ever inquired about it @Robert5835?  

Thanks 🙂 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

YES PLEASE to a sauna filter!  Thank you for relaying to the team!  

Hi @Emilie, we haven't yet made that available to guests so I can't really say what reaction would be.  My guess though, much smaller group of people interested, but those who are would be enthusiasts. 

Ice bath is wonderful and I love doing it, but a lot more challenging for most to get their heads around than sauna.  

Put another way, I've heard sauna described as that rare thing... a bona fide health intervention that's also very pleasurable and easy to do.  Not too many of those out there.  Ice bath likely has some interesting benefits, and I find you feel pretty great after.  But for most, the pleasurable and easy parts are subject of some debate.

From a host perspective too, I suspect outdoor ice bath would be more of a hassle to manage, keep clean etc.  Unless you got one of the new powered ones which are nice.  But combo of pretty high price tag to invest in, and small (if enthusiastic) audience makes this a less appealing host move to my eye than say sauna or hot tub. 

R

A sauna filter benefits everyone.  I spent a frustrating morning trying to find listings including a sauna with no luck for my desired getaway.  Hosts lose revenue, airbnb loses revenue and guests miss out. I hope this omission is remedied soon.

Yes @Heather1425 , been there.  In the past as a guest, my move was to start with hot tub and piggy back off that figuring they may often go together.  Sometimes works, often doesn't.  For example you wouldn't find our place that way.  Yet once again this week, a guest who found us called out the sauna piece.  

"If I have my way, my future home will have cork flooring and a sauna."

Wish there were a way (@airbnb you listening?) to vote for new filters.  Seems like a low lift.  They woudn't have to show results, but they'd be getting data to leverage as they saw fit, and providing an outlet that indicates they're listening to frustrated hosts and guests who often think they aren't (listening that is). 

Thanks for adding your voice to the thread. R

@Robert5835  I see your listing is a "Plus" listing, so I guess you have no control over what appears as the cover photo? Otherwise I would suggest that you use the sauna photo (perhaps adding some colorful towels to the photo to make it more eye-catching and less monochromatic) as the cover photo.

@Sarah977 yes, the Plus thing happened a couple years ago.  Honestly I'm not sure what kind of benefit, if any, it really provides.  Seemed like something Airbnb was promoting a lot back then.  They tapped us on the shoulder, sent photographer, etc.  But I haven't heard much about it since.   

Anybody have a take on Plus.... +/- these days?  

@Emilie maybe that's a whole thread unto itself.  To Plus or not to Plus?  Or is Plus still a thing?

R

@Robert5835  I don't believe that Airbnb even supports Plus, anymore unless you're grandfathered in. It was one of those bright ideas Airbnb came up with, but then managed to implement in a way that was very frustrating and irritating to hosts who opted in. There are threads on it here if you do a search.

Hosts said they had to use the Airbnb photographer's photos, when the host's own photos were better, that the photographer didn't even take photos of the things the hosts thought were the best features, that Airbnb wrote the description and hosts couldn't change it, that they were told to do ridiculous things like chaange the color of the throw pillows or curtains. 

And some hosts said their bookings dried up and they went back to a normal listing- that guests seemed to be passing on Plus listings, assuming they would be too expensive.

Thanks @Sarah977, I reached out a while back and found it very difficult to even reach the Plus team.  Bookings had taken a dip but then seemed to stabilize so I forgot about it.  Good reminder that I should look at unplugging from Plus to get that flexibility back.  Appreciate it. 

Sure wish if they'd had a change of heart about the program that they'd have reached out and said "hey, we tried this, not working out as intended, here's what we recommend".  

R

I notice that even with this latest batch of "upgrades", there is STILL no sauna filter or category.  Hosts and guests have been asking for YEARS.  What's up with that?  

Is this available yet i want to use it 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Robert5835 you are in my region and I have actually thought about putting a sauna in at our cottage. I think it would be a real match for the vibe of the space. I would love to see a sauna filter. Just a question though-- any liability concerns? Do you post any signs for guests who might have health issues due to the extreme heat? Any trouble with burns? We get a lot of higher maintenance guests and I am wondering how much of a headache this would be. I love the idea!

Hi @Laura2592, there's a sign from the sauna maker prominently posted inside in front of where people sit, and we point people to that in the apartment guide.  

We actually first got the idea from an airbnb ourselves.  Did a spring break to one with a sauna, loved it, looked up the same sauna maker and put one in.  Funnily enough, to the goal of this thread... we originally found that house because of the hot-tub filter.  Turned out it had a sauna and we ended up using that as much or more.  

R