New policy on security cameras

Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

New policy on security cameras

In the new security updates, it is written:

"These requirements don’t apply to devices in common spaces outside your home that you don’t control, like cameras in the lobby of an apartment building."

My question is, if I own an apartment building, can I install a camera in the lobby (common space) facing the main entrance to the building?

Does ownership of the equipment indicate whether it is allowed or not?

8 Replies 8
Henry-and-Jeremy0
Level 3
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

I am in the same situation as you. I own the building and I have 4 rental units, and it is vital to have security cameras not only for safety reasons, it also serves as evidence for bad behaviors or should a crime be committed in the rental units, such as theft. The cameras can prove who entered their unit, show when my housekeeper was in the unit, etc.

My security cameras have caught everything from people smoking in the hallways and common areas, to people using their rentals for nefarious reasons.

And because I have other guests in the building, this keeps other guests safe. In fact, we have had guests comment on how we take security seriously and that provides peace of mind for them.

None of my cameras are inside the actual rental units. They are all very visible, and I have signage around the property that state we have security cameras.

This blanket policy is not well thought out.

I am also very upset about the new policy.  I have a home located in Maine with seven bedrooms, a common media room, common kitchen and common gym, plus two apartments next door.  In the common kitchen we have a gas cookstove.  In the past guests have accidentally turned the gas on without igniting it.  When using the microwave above the stove, some guests lean on the knobs and turn them without knowing it.  So there is a camera to monitor the gas stove to avoid a potential disaster.  And when a guest stole food from the common fridge, we installed another camera that points to the fridge.  In the common media room we have board games for guest use.  One was a very valuable LL Bean game worth $300 that was stolen by a guest.  We were pretty sure who took it but Airbnb would not cover it because it was in a common area, so we added another camera.  We added a camera in the gym also due to missing equipment.  In the apartments we have cameras just inside the entry hallway.  The apartments have beautiful, wide pine floors that dent easily, so we ask guests to remove their shoes in the hallway prior to entering the apartment.  The cameras are the only way to ensure compliance.  And we tell guests about the policy and the cameras in the check in instructions.  Maine has a state law that regulates security cameras and we have posted the law on the community board for guests to read.  I don't think the reason behind the policy is due to hidden cameras.  VRBO also does not allow inside cameras.  Recently VRBO has run advertising that is anti Airbnb and I think the new policy is a reaction to that advertising.  I used to work for a hotel and hotels have more than just simple security cameras.  They have a real time monitoring system with night auditors that keep an eye out for what is going on.  At least booking.com com does not have such a ban.  I might have to limit myself to booking.com, expedia and google.

Hi 👋 

I’m in Darwin, Australia in an apartment that I live in while hosting. I have been in a long thread of conversation with Support regards to this new ‘one size fits all’ policy. They are completely non-negotiable. I have a front doorbell camera (for camera use only) just inside the front entrance of my apartment that sits on top of the light switch (approximately 30cm distance from door). Very obvious location. Airbnb are attempting to forced me to relocate this doorbell camera to outside of my apartment boundary into a private access only foyer that is shared with 4 other apartments. This outcome will invade their privacy every time they are in the foyer. 
I emailed Brian Chesky directly and had no response. Support advised me he won’t be responding and that they have been assigned to handle all communication regarding this new policy. It would appear that the Airbnb founder has forgotten his humble beginnings. 
it would appear that Airbnb have passed the problem onto other people outside of their business model. 
How many hosts are in a similar situation to me that live in their apartment while hosting guests and are impacted by this new policy?

Same here - 2 rooms let in my own home.  if I had a Ring doorbell it would be on a public walkway, recording people who have not given consent, but I am not allowed to have a camera in my hallway, facing the inside of the door, recording only people who have given consent.  This is a disaster.

Andrey42
Level 2
Elizabeth, NJ

This policy is ridiculous and very dangerous for hosts that have shared spaces. I think we should start commenting about this and complaining on all their social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, X, etc. If a good number of people do this they’ll start to reconsider. 

Kate2192
Level 2
Darwin City, Australia

Have you contacted Support? I met a brick wall. 

I'd love to know where we could present a coordinated response.  They don't seem remotely interested in reviewing it.

I would like to hear any circumstance where a guest has reported actual harm from a camera in a shared area, particularly a hallway.  When I asked on a Facebook forum the only attempt at a (hypothetical) issue was a person who said they might like to walk back from the bathroom without a towel, but in the circumstance where I have a young woman staying in the other room this isn't behaviour I want to encourage, and if she complained I might need evidence.  "Guest feels icky about it" (which doesn't seem to apply in my home) doesn't seem enough to outweigh the tangible benefits that a disclosed camera can give.

I agree  as a host I don't feel comfortable  anymore  allowing strangers  in my home.  Camera is bought a safety measure  for host.