New security camera policy is unreasonable

Conrad76
Level 8
Boston, MA

New security camera policy is unreasonable

I presume all hosts received an email from Airbnb about security cameras, in which it says, "You’re not allowed to have cameras that monitor indoor spaces." That is completely unfair. The basic Abode security system that I have has a motion sensor with a camera that takes a snapshot if the sensor is triggered when the alarm is on, to get a picture of who or what is moving in the hallway. I disclose this in my listing, and I have a small curtain that guests can pull to cover the camera if they are concerned about privacy. Airbnb is essentially forcing me to get a different security system. How are other hosts dealing with this?

209 Replies 209

Exactly. I have one inside camera (it is part of the security system to take a pic of whoever in the hallway triggers the motion sensor only when the system is armed). I have a dish towel nailed to the wall next to it, and a sign on the wall telling guests they can cover the camera w that towel for their privacy if they want.

Then rent an entire unit without the host, family and other guests in the house.. Us home share hosts must be protected.

We have outdoor only Amazon blink. We can turn off the entire system or individual cameras. Our policy is to turn off the entire system after guests arrive and we see they were able to find the lockbox and open the door, and put them back on overnight, usually 10pm to 7 am. Unless like the case 2 weeks ago we had 2 guests ask for more toilet paper on their second night there- we left 4 rolls. Putting the outdoor cameras back on revealed what we suspected, several non registered guests and visitors coming and going throughout the week. 

If I were in a shared space with strangers, I would appreciate security cameras.  

Andrea2460
Level 9
Hallowell, ME

Where the security camera footage goes depends on the security camera.  Some cameras send footage to a cloud but unless you are willing to spend extra money on cloud storage it just goes away.  Other cameras do not go to a cloud but you have to pay extra for a memory chip but I don't think hosts in general are interested on spending extra money for a camera footage library.

Share0
Level 4
Albany, NY

Also I reside in NY where its a one party consent to use cameras. How is Airbnb going to tell NY hosts who has a home share what they cannot legally do? Check y'all state laws. Airbnb cannot override it. 

Share0
Level 4
Albany, NY

Screenshot_20240316-174848.png

Share0
Level 4
Albany, NY

Screenshot_20240316-174834.png

I just wrote to AirBNB advocacy at:  getinvolved@airbnb.com

I would encourage EVERYONE to write to them. Here is what I wrote:

I wanted to make another comment, that I IMPLORE you to re-assess the recent indoor security camera ruling. I am asking that you consult with good hosts to come up with a solution that benefits ALL concerned; Guests, Hosts and AirBNB alike.

If we can have a way to disable, or for the guests themselves to have control in disabling any interior cameras, then those cameras can be there for the times that the residence is not being hosted, which is most of the time for me. I must have security when the house is vacant, but I have no need for those cameras when the house is rented. Tearing out a multi thousand dollar system is really a bad option, and jeopardizing the security of my property is not wise. 

We are in partnership; you at AirBNB and ourselves - the property owners, and ultimately we are responsible for the safety of our investments without which we will not have properties to rent together. My home was broken into by a homeless drug addict vagrant who stayed there very recently and, thanks to footage obtained, the Police were able to apprehend the culprit and prevent further break ins and damage in my neighborhood.

Can we PLEASE not come to a better arrangement? For example, the cameras could be disabled prior to a guest’s arrival AND the guest can be provided with a physical method by which they themselves can shield / cover the disabled cameras for more additional confidence? I am sure that you would have OVERWHELMING support from our community for a thought out policy, one that could be embraced by all of us Hosts.

By the way, this aforementioned scenario is how it has operated for me since I have started and I have had NO questions from guests, ZERO complaints or comments, and all of my guests have even appreciated the additional security that we provide to them during their stay.

Please do not let a few bad apples ruin everything for all of the fine Hosts out there that bring favor and success to the AirBNB platform.

Sincerely,

What is the use of cameras if you yourself disable them before arrival of guest or let them hide? How will you protect yourself or the house from people like the one you have mentioned. There has to be dignified policy from AirBnB protecting firstly the hosts and then the guests because there wont be a guest unless there is a host. Thanks

There are two uses that I see here... one is for the security of the property when it is vacant and the other is to monitor security while it is rented. Each have their needs and purposes.  While mine fall into the first category, hosts could always think through a solution for the second that would be acceptable by all concerned.

I have both a shared house and apartments.  Each apartment has one interior camera that points to the entrance door and access hallway.  There is another door that separates the hallway from the rest of the apartment.  I can put a deadbolt on that door and then there should be no expectation of privacy in the hallway.

I wrote a letter to that email address, thanks for the suggestion. I encourage others to do so as well.

Can I quote you for my press release

Greg-and-Raquel0
Level 2
San Marcos, CA

Agreed!! Especially if the host resides on the property, discloses, and confine’s security camera location to designated common areas.