Out of the blue, Airbnb sent me a text with a "Pin", Not sure if legit.

Joe-and-Becky0
Level 2
Woodbury, TN

Out of the blue, Airbnb sent me a text with a "Pin", Not sure if legit.

I just received a text from Airbnb with a pin.  Not sure what this is about and not sure if this is legit.

Anyone else get this?  Can't figure out why I would need this if it is legit and why I cannot choose my own pin combination if so.

The exact text:

Airbnb PIN. Never share your code with anyone - Airbnb employees will never ask for it. Your code is...

51 Replies 51
Patti209
Level 2
Laguna Niguel, CA

Yes! Me too! What's up with this??

Jennifer715
Level 3
Lafayette, CA

Me too for the late few days ever since I updated my app.  Strange...

Chrissy35
Level 2
Port Willunga, Australia

I had one of these messages yesterday & again today. Hopefully @Les35 will get an answer from support

Les35
Level 2
Pleasantville, NY

I contacted Airbnb support and they confirmed that it's their issue, not an attack, and they're working on correcting it.

Yes I have recieved the same message. I contacted the support and all they said was they were aware of the problem but have yet to fix it nor do they have an estimated time for them to fix it. 

Merv61
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

As customer oriented as we all are as hosts, perhaps Airbnb would be equally service oriented and put out a general message to all of us about their progress. Not knowing whether I was being hacked, I spent a good amount of time changing passwords and reviewing forums such as this one. 

Jenny1344
Level 1
Port Macquarie, Australia

I got the message 3 times in the early hours of the morning. Check your rates! I believe someone reduced mine and then instant booked it. I have since turned off Instant Book. The co host / user activity statements should provide more details - I adjusted pricing on multiple days and it wasn’t even listed!!!

Following up, I started a thread with Airbnb CS regarding this issue on 2/8/21, and was left with:

"I understand that you would like to get an update about this issue, and we deeply apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. This issue has been reported to our Specialized team, and they are currently working on fixing the issue. As much as I would like to provide an ETA, we do not have specific time frame to provide. What I can only assure is that the relevant team is fixing the issue."

Still receiving these nearly 2 weeks later.

At this point @Stephanie @Lizzie or any other Admin, what can be done, or is being done, to resolve. Some of us do not have unlimited texts, and are actually paying money for Airbnb's faulty system. 

Jenn87
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

I too am getting these messages, constantly for the last week or so...

I received the same text as well. 

Alan526
Level 2
Katanning, Australia

I've also had the conversation with Support a few weeks ago regarding theses texts.  I was told that they are aware of the issue and a team is working on it.  But I'm still getting them every couple of days.    I'd be quite happy to ignore them but when you have a teenager and you get a text at 3am you look...

I've been getting these too. Checked for active sessions and they're all mine. I think the teo-factor authentication is saving my butt. It's annoying as a host, but probably smart. 

I contacted Airbnb Support and got two different responses from different people:

Hi Sally Kerecia here from the Airbnb support team. The messages you're getting with verification codes are due to a glitch in the system. It's nothing you have to worry about.

Then the next day:

Hello Sally,

My name is Anne, Support Ambassador from Airbnb.
I appreciate your patience about this matter and I apologize for the inconvenience that you've encountered but rest assured everything will be taken care of.

Thank you for reaching out to us, and for letting us know about this issue as soon as possible for us to immediately assist you.

I'm sorry you've received many verifications without your request. I understand that you are concerned about the security of your account. Please know that your information is safe with us.

We were able to receive reports about this, and we’re working to resolve it as quickly as possible. I just want to set your expectations as well that I'll be needing to report this concern of yours to our technical team and for that I'll be needing to close your ticket in able for them to have full access with your account.

Your privacy and security matters to us. We take all precautions to keep your information safe, and we adhere to the highest industry security standards.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding about this matter.

Regards,
Anne.

Still getting the infuriating messages in the middle of the night. 

Strange about closing the ticket in order for their technical team to have full access to my account. Ticket is closed but it’s not resolved and I can no longer reply to the ticket thread 😕

Katie1055
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

I’m having this issue this morning. Received two texts out of the blue. I can’t seem to find on the app how to look for my login history.