Rentals being listed that are nowhere near search City

Kristen-and-Mike0
Level 2
Arroyo Grande, CA

Rentals being listed that are nowhere near search City

Hi all-

We’re having an issue that hasn’t been solved and it seems Airbnb doesn’t understand the reason it should be. When you input our “City” there are rentals that are 50-100 miles away that are listed in the results. We are actually IN the City and are listed below these listings. And btw our “City” has a population of a few hundred. I def understand expanding the search results outside the immediate area, BUT to list places far, far away when there are actually cabins available IN the City, makes zero sense. 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kristen-and-Mike0 Airbnb seem to have a complex SEO that prioritises what it wants ie Instant book, flexible cancellation policy, and possibly support to larger hosts. As a result these weird anomalies seem to occur I am afraid.

Completely agree. So very sad. It seems they completely disregarded what the travelers wants 🙁

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Kristen-and-Mike0 

I feel the same way about this as you do and have lost count of the number of times I've tried to point out through feedback and on the CC how frustrating it is for the guest to be shown places not in the town requested and how disappointing it is for a host to see other places tens of miles away showing up in the search BEFORE your own😡  By all means show these places but only AFTER those available in the town requested.

I also feel it's unfair to show a listing with a score of 3* (no not taken off Airbnb) before other listings with far better guest comments.  Where's the logic?  Why are those hosts with good reviews not put forward by the algorithm and those with very much less favorable ones are??  Why bother in that case being a good host if there is no reward for our efforts?

In my case, views are down dramatically from last year ( 8 times less) and also for the stats of appearing on the first page so it just feels like an extra injustice when I see places pop up well outside the search area and mine doesn't even show up on the map.

But I fear that our concerns just fall on deaf ears unfortunately 

I wish you all the best for this season,

Joëlle