Tons of views but only one booking.

Matthew1970
Level 2
Owensboro, KY

Tons of views but only one booking.

I just purchased and upgraded a honeymoon cabin in Gatlinburg.   Its actually in Sevier county but unfortunately has a Cosby address. 

I have had it posted for a week with over 1,200 views now but only 1 booking.  

My neighbor has an identical cabin and is pulling 280-350 a night with 85% occupancy.  Their honeymoon cabin is equally as nice. I know the market is there based on several in that area, i just cant get mine to book, even with pricing set to half of theirs.   

what am i doing wrong? 

airbnb.com/h/matthideawayhaven

6 Replies 6
Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Matthew1970 

Such a great start with all the views! Your neighbor is more established, so give it time. Not everyone books last minute, especially for a special place such as yours. It takes time to build a business. 

@Matthew1970 

Hi Matthew -

I wish I had an answer for you...  I just looked at your listing, and you aren't doing anything wrong!

Your place and listing looks amazing!   I would just give it a bit of time.  We have been hosting our home in Oaxaca, Mexico for just over a year.  It seemed like it took a few months, and then things really picked up. 

I am sure you will soon will have  Superhost status and very successful Airbnb property!

Again, congrats on your amazing cabin and listing!

Best,

John 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Matthew1970  Your place looks really, really nice. You've done an excellent job setting up the listing. Getting established requires some patience, but as your reviews build, so will your business. 

I have one of suggestion, and please don't consider it criticism. I  make it in hope of enhancing what you've already done. 

Could you change up your title a little bit? The exclamation points are a bit emphatic. I understand that you're trying to attract couples, and you've named your selling points, but as long as guests engage (views), the amenities don't all need to  be in the title. I think your selling point is  that it's a quality property in a private and peaceful setting, yet accessible to all the things that people come to the area for. While people enjoy things like a fire pit and home theater, I don't think those are pivotal things that will make or break a booking decision. Once they click to view, they'll see all of your amenities. 

Could you try something like, Luxury cabin, private retreat w hot tub?  

It's a higher-end, quality property, so sell it with class. I guess I mean just tone it down a little bit. 

The property is beautiful, the pics are great, and it really should sell itself. 

The travel and hospitality industry has been all over the place since the pandemic started, and I think the current trend is still a reaction to the previous few years. I guess I'm trying to say that it's uncharted territory. It's also the holiday season, and in general, people make plans for that months in advance. I've been steadily busy since I opened in September of 2019, and now is the first time things are really, really slow. I'm in a touristy area as well.

Keep in mind, in particular, the demographic that you're appealing to are not bargain shoppers. They are folks who have money and will book what they like. I'm saying this to discourage you from lowering your price too much. As you get established- yes, but many hosts make the mistake of dropping their price to attract bookings, and that's not always the answer. Just be patient, and a year from now you'll be wishing for a break between bookings. 

Good luck! Kia

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Matthew1970 So imagine you are taking your newly married partner away for your honeymoon. You can stay at an established place with great reviews (your neighbour) for $X or you can stay at the place next door for $X/2 but with no idea what it will be like. Indeed it must be dodgy if it is this cheap. I suspect many people will go to your neighbour rather than risk a disastrous start to their marriage.

Hi @Matthew1970 

Your place is great with lots of amenities! (I would tone down the title though

as @Kia272 mentioned). 

Location & Guest Search Algorithm

I believe you pinpointed a possible problem yourself even if you are getting tons of views. It's your location. Your property is not appearing in guest search results for popular destinations like Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, or Sevierville. Airbnb's guest search algorithm changed dramatically last year. Hosts who had properties outside a major city or town were no longer appearing on the map in a general guest search. We don't know how far outside a major city/town the algorithm designates, but if your address is not that of a popular destination (you’re outside the city limits) then your listing won't appear in search results for those cities/towns unless the guest zooms way in and does a map search.

Most people are familiar with Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge but not Cosby, TN. Unless they search under Cosby, TN, your listing does not appear in search results? (I had to zoom way in to find it). It will not appear in a search for Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge (you're too far out). I fear with the current functionality of guest searches, you will not be seen in those guest searches no matter what improvements you make to the listing/price. If you were closer to the other towns, you would get even more eyes on your listing. I did a search on Cosby, TN and your listing appeared on page 1 with the *New* callout. Perhaps another Host who has experience with this issue of location address can offer their advice as well.

Solutions for Location Issue

Custom Promotions

You could try a custom promotion and see if Airbnb moves your listing up in search results. Can't hurt to try that.

List on Another Platform

Hosts experiencing this problem have listed on other platforms and their properties appear in a much wider search results map (radius) than Airbnb.

Try Using Social Media

You can use Instagram or a Direct Booking Site to showcase you listing and get more eyes on it. 

Try Changing Cover Photo

I would try changing your cover photo to the photo below for now. I would get a roaring fire going though and re-shoot the photo. The porch photo as a cover may not be working for you as it doesn't show the view looking out?

Cosby TN.png

I would try getting/using a twilight, exterior cover photo (similar to below) and see if that helps:

Cosby TN Example Twilight.png

It your Title and Photos aren't working, then try something new. Give it a few weeks and if what you changed still isn't working, change it up again. 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Matthew1970 👋,

Wow, so much great advice from our amazing Hosts. Are you planning to implement any of these suggestions, or have you already implemented them?

Please keep us posted.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad