Utilisation of wash cloth?

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Utilisation of wash cloth?

I am originally from Eastern Europe and have never even heard about wash cloth until I visited American relatives in a suburban town. This was many years ago but this is something I never got into a habit of using.

Now three guests in a row asked me where the wash cloths were. I provide bath and hand towels. I don’t mind getting them wash cloth. I am sure it is an inexpensive addition. However I have no clue how to set them up. One at each sink? One on top of each towel? Is it one per customer or stack/roll in the bathroom?

Has everyone who has ever been to my own home thought “that crazy Russian lady” (I am quoting Anna from another thread) doesn’t even have wash cloth?

1 Best Answer
Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I leave one bath towel and one washcloth on top of the towel on each bed. Two of each if people stay three nights or more. Then I have one hand towel on display in the bathroom that I change at least every day. If wet I change it immediately. I've grown up with one cloth for "upstairs" and one cloth for "downstairs". They hang on seperate hooks to avoid being used on the wrong "floor". I see my friends with children still practise this.

Cloths avoid excessive use of water. It also saves the bigger towels from being ruined. I buy mine at IKEA. 10 pcs at about 4 Euros.

Mariann 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

44 Replies 44
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Donna240

I have actually had guests use towels to buff their shoes, but those stains did not come out...

It's shocking to hear that someone would do that, especially in a private home. I guess there are just some people who think they're entitled to do anything if they've paid to use the space. sorry to heqar this.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia0

Lol. I find that young American ladies wear a lot of make up compared to more mature ones.That's not to say that many British girls don't do the same, but it seems to be fairly standard with girls from the US.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

House rule:  No makeup allowed on premises 🙂

@Sarah 😀😀

Mariann 🙂

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Inna22  I do 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels. 2 washcloths, 1 beach towel and 4 black make up washcloths per person. When I travel in europe I bring my own knowing in a lot of places I will not get them as they have no clue I want them. I can still do a two week trip with one carry on it's all a matter of how you pack, chose and roll the items, it does take some practice though.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Looks like I'm a bad host or at least a crazily un-informed one.. 

never offer washcloths, never liked them, and since reading an article ages ago on the study results of the unsanitary build-up of bacteria in them the thought of using them makes me gag... literally.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@And0rea

(seem to be getting tagging glitches again)

I don't use them either, but a lot of guests do and I guess that's their choice. I do of course wash them thoroughly between guests and those that don't come up properly clean get binned.

Having said that, I do use muslin cloths (much more gentle) to cleanse my own face (not body), but they only get used once (I have a huge stash of them) before being put on a hot wash, so I don't think they have a chance to build up bacteria.

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I don't provide facecloths (as we call  them in the UK).  Mainly because I never use one.  Correction - I did have one with me on my recent 30 month backpacking trip around Asia.  It got used for cleaning many things, but my person was not one of them.

I do tell guests that they are not provided in my 'reporting instrutions' email so that they know to bring their own, and I do provide and point out a couple of old, bleach marked towels in the cupboard that they can use for whatever nefarious purpose they wish if it will save my good towels from destruction.

"It got used for cleaning many things, but my person was not one of them." @Kathie21 thats too funny

The mysterious world of washclothes : utilization.

A common English pitfall in Italy. Whatever comes into your head, do no ask for a washcloth. Italians will surely give you a small towel to dry something else ... these towels in Italy are used not to dry the face or the body, but the buttocks after using the bidet !!!

Emily (bathroomtrotter)

@Emily352 I will make sure to put them away whenever I have Italian guests!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Don't hang them with the handtowels, you will have to wash them regardless as they will be ''used''. I fold and stack on a shelf. Some guests will use all, some none. I just fill the stack as needed.

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I leave one bath towel and one washcloth on top of the towel on each bed. Two of each if people stay three nights or more. Then I have one hand towel on display in the bathroom that I change at least every day. If wet I change it immediately. I've grown up with one cloth for "upstairs" and one cloth for "downstairs". They hang on seperate hooks to avoid being used on the wrong "floor". I see my friends with children still practise this.

Cloths avoid excessive use of water. It also saves the bigger towels from being ruined. I buy mine at IKEA. 10 pcs at about 4 Euros.

Mariann 🙂

Very interesting

Benedict Camberpruff