Vacancy/occupancy sensors

Vacancy/occupancy sensors

Hello! We are currently working on a new property with floors for temporary rental. Regarding property security, I would like to know your opinion about using occupancy/vacancy sensors in properties. Do they work well? Are they frequently installed? Do they have any risk of false activation? Thank you!

2 Replies 2
Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Vantaa-Capital0 ,

In my opinion, any equipment, whether a camera or a sensor, is an intrusion into privacy. I prefer the traditional system where guests actively announce their presence by inserting their room card into a slot that lights the room and turns on the air conditioning.

Regarding public spaces, especially lighting, I prefer time-based or illumination-sensing systems rather than those based on movement or presence. I favor low, continuous light in corridors over lights that follow me as I walk through a hotel corridor.

Again, this is just my opinion, and some may disagree.

Hi Vantaa,

Occupancy/vacancy sensors are a practical choice for rental properties, offering benefits in security and energy efficiency. They are increasingly popular, especially in settings where managing utility usage and enhancing security are priorities.

Benefits:

Energy Savings: These sensors can significantly reduce energy costs by ensuring that lights and electronics are not left running in empty rooms.

Security Enhancement: By lighting up areas upon detecting movement, they can deter unauthorized access and improve safety for guests.

Installation Frequency:

They are commonly installed in both residential and commercial properties due to their effectiveness in reducing energy consumption and improving security.

Potential Drawbacks:

False Activations: There is a risk of false activations, especially if the sensors are overly sensitive. This can be triggered by pets, moving curtains, or even external movements near windows.

Privacy Concerns: It’s crucial to ensure that guests are aware of the sensors and understand that they are for operational purposes (like energy saving), not for monitoring their activities.

Recommendations:

Appropriate Sensor Selection: Choose the type of sensor based on the specific needs and layout of each room.

Inform Guests: Clearly communicate the presence and purpose of these sensors to guests, focusing on their role in conserving energy and ensuring safety.

Regular Maintenance: Regularly check and recalibrate the sensors to maintain their accuracy and reduce false triggers.

In conclusion, when implemented and managed well, occupancy/vacancy sensors can be a great addition to rental properties, aligning with both operational efficiency and guest comfort.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish management