What Happens When Airbnb Ambassadors Violate AirBnB Rules?

What Happens When Airbnb Ambassadors Violate AirBnB Rules?

Hi Everyone,

I'm stuck going in circles on a claim a guest filed.  Airbnb rules require the guest to first contact the host.  We were never contacted by our guest and then a day and a half after check-out an Airbnb Ambassador contacted us requesting time stamped photos to prove we cleaned the apartment prior to check-in.  See our correspondence pasted below.  

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2993/what-to-do-if-the-place-youre-staying-in-isnt-clean-at-chec...

"What to do if the place you're staying in isn’t clean at check-in?
ALWAYS message your Host to discuss a solution first."

---
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2868/rebooking-and-refund-policy

"BEFORE submitting a claim, whenever feasible, the guest MUST notify the Host and try to resolve the Travel Issue directly with their Host."

1) The guest did not contact me once regarding a very serious accusation. Your rules say he is obligated to do so. Yet the rules were not followed.

2) The AirBnB Ambassador did not contact me or advise the guest to contact me on October 15th as your rules demand. Your Ambassador did not follow the rules.

3) You explained to me that you plan to ignore your own rules and proceed with a guest refund if you do not receive photos from me. This is not how it works. PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW A GUEST CAN SUBMIT A VALID CLAIM WITHOUT FIRST CONTACTING THE HOST AS YOUR RULES DEMAND.
13 Replies 13
Dana-and-Mary0
Level 4
Mamaroneck, NY

I never take photos of a rental before the guest checks in... where did this expectation come from?

@Dana-and-Mary0   "I never take photos" Well, you should seriously consider starting to.  It's not an "expectation" but it's just good business. 

We have had these timestamped images bail us out of various snafus over the years.  It's also great for you to see/know that everything is indeed done if you are managing the property remotely.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Brandon157 

This is frustrating for sure, but it's typical Airbnb CS response to ignore your questions RE policy. 

I wanted to ask though, why do you allow 15 guests in a four bedroom listing? That sounds like way too many.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Brandon157 the "why" is that abb reps are beholden to no rules... it is the wild west and the negative application of the golden rule (he with the gold, makes the rules). In my experience, telling them that they aren't doing their job well is not a successful path.

and you have 12 listings, is this your first time realizing that no payout on ABB is ever a sure thing?

Here is how this thread ended.   In the past, I have had success contacting upper management, but it always takes about 8-10 phone calls which is quite time-consuming.  In the end, one can usually get a reasonable person on the phone.   I do think it's time to significantly reduce the usage of the Airbnb platform.  VRBO and Booking are looking a lot better theses days.

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Brandon157 

While I don't believe that hosts should have to take timestamped photos/videos prior to every check in to prove that the place was clean (although some hosts say they do actually do this), I don't understand why you told CS you were going to send the photos and then didn't. 

Sometimes, arguing about policy with a CS rep is like arguing about philosophy with a donkey. I am not trying to be rude about it. These are just people trying to make a living, but most are poorly trained, have no authority to make decisions, read from a script and have a check list which involves getting rid of you/closing the case asap. 

Personally, like you, I do persist if I feel I have been wronged and I usually get the result I want in the end, but a lot of time and stress goes into that. Again, what I don't understand is why you told CS you would send photos and didn't. You just gave them an excuse to disbelieve you or claim that your argument is not valid.

My cleaner had some photos of the cleaning done just prior to the guests' arrival.  We were working on how to figure out a method to determine the date/time the photo was taken.  Her phone is not very advanced.  

it's probably in the meta data anyway, which you could check by putting the pics into a simple reader on the computer. I can help if you need it. 

how does the CS person plan to read the metadata? does she want the time stamped on the front, like a 1980s photo? 

Hi Gillian,

Thanks for your input.  I was thinking the same thing (1980's photos).  The photos were not very helpful anyway as they focused on some maintenance/repair issues she was informing us about.  In any case, the photos were always quite beside the point.  It was the blatant disregard of specific rules repeated over several different policies (guests always contact hosts first).   We escalated the decision to upper management and are gaining traction there (quicker than expected too).  If you're ever in the Chicago area let us know and we'll see if we have any special deals to offer at our listings. 

@Brandon157  if that's all they want to see that's not hard to produce. I can't believe they'd accept that, lol. I suspect they say "date stamped photos" to scare people away, as that's not something that any phone offers.  

@Brandon157  also a receipt/invoice for the cleaning on that date might suffice too. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Did you also take date stamped photos after the guests had stayed so you could show the place was clean? @Brandon157 

I agree a receipt from your cleaning company for cleaning undertaken and confirmation from them that the place was cleaned to your normal standards will help. As will previous reviews from guests showing you have 5 star ratings for cleanliness.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

In any dispute with any guest, I have never been notified by the guest prior to a complaint being filed with Airbnb.

Yes, in one case or two, I've received messages from the guest regarding one issue or another (and always acted upon and solved) but inevitably, the few complaints guests have filed with Airbnb have never resembled whatever issue the guest had previously contacted me about. I always hear it from Airbnb first. 

It may be Airbnb policy to contact the host first, but I suspect that's rather unenforceable. Once a claim is set in motion, it doesn't really matter if the guest brought it up with the host first. It's a complaint. Now it's resolution time. Anything else is beside the point.