Airbnb Algorithm

Eric8698
Level 1
Munich, Germany

Airbnb Algorithm

Dear Community.. 

I would like to know how you fare on Airbnb searches and bookings. Are you benefiting from Airbnb's algorithm? Systems have become intelligent enough to run rankings, matches and suitability. But why do some properties disappear in search engines?

1 Reply 1
Karen4131
Top Contributor
Malmö, Sweden

Hi @Eric8698 

You host such beautiful places! Amazing views over the sea!

The reason some listings don’t show up on Airbnb is because Airbnb only displays 15 pages with 18 listings per search. For example, as you can see from the screenshot below, when I search for Margate South Beach, South Africa, there are over 1,000 listings.

This means that at least 730 listings are not being shown. I did an open search without any dates or other criteria. Airbnb always limits the results to these 270 listings in any given search, leaving the rest excluded.

Karen4131_0-1727945097305.png

However, when you start applying filters, like categories or specific criteria, the picture changes. For instance, I did a search using filters for 1 bed, a pool, and pets allowed, and this narrowed it down to only 166 properties. In this case, all listings that meet the criteria are shown, since the total doesn’t exceed the 270-listing limit.

Karen4131_1-1727945763440.png

The key takeaway is that ranking well is crucial if you want to appear on one of the the first pages, since many potential guests don’t click beyond that.

Try searching for "Airbnb search algorithm 2024" on Google; there are many great tips on how to improve your ranking. – And to answer that part of your question, I personally benefit greatly from understanding these criteria. I’ve tailored my entire listing, the way I manage it, and my communication approach based on them. Currently, my listing appears on the first page in 64% of searches, which I’m quite satisfied with for my area.

Note: Make sure to select Airbnb's Professional Tools under your account settings to get insights and data on how your listings rank, for example, if you haven't already done so.

Karen4131_2-1727947012504.png

I hope this helps. Good luck with your listings! Your listings have all the right qualities to succeed in the competition in your area! 👍

Best regards,

Karen