When to post new home still under construction

Answered!

When to post new home still under construction

Hello all, I'm new to hosting. We are building a new home for us to enjoy and to rent (to help pay for it). It's a waterfront lake home so summer is key. The home isn't finished yet but we don't want to miss out on summer bookings. Home should be finished in May and we'd like to open the calendar up for bookings in late July.

Here's the question: do we post now with outside pics, views of the lake/mountains, possibly the house plans and of course all the "amazing" details, OR do we wait until it's done and fingers crossed we've not missed the boat on summer? Is posting a house under construction even allowed?

I'm leaning toward waiting mainly because what if something happens and the home isn't finished on time and someone has rented it? I do not want to do that someone and I know it's bad to cancel on guests.

Thanks so much for any insight.

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dena156  Don't jump the gun. One of the things you are rated on as a host is accuracy. If the photos don't match the reality, you could suffer for that in the ratings. 

And it isn't just "bad" to cancel bookings. You get penalized in many ways. 

Construction completion dates are not dependable, as you have acknowledged.

Don't be overly optimistic about timelines and trying to list before the place is really ready for guests. That could result in all sorts of issues.

And it would be a good idea for you to stay there yourself before your first bookings. 

There can be things you haven't thought of unless you spend some nights and days there yourself.

Like "Oh, goodness, that porch light glares right in the bedroom window at night. We'll need blackout curtains there."

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dena156 If your area is popular then listing in May for a July start should be fine. I would wait as guests really need to see what they get both in location and details such as furniture etc. Also bear in mind your listing gets a search engine boost for a week or two after you list. If you get bookings then success breeds a higher search engine position that continues post the originally boosted period so you can't afford to miss out on this.

Thank you so much for your perspective. We are in a popular area, which helps. I've been trying to put myself in a renter's shoes: I would want to know what I'm actually getting. Thank you again!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dena156  Don't jump the gun. One of the things you are rated on as a host is accuracy. If the photos don't match the reality, you could suffer for that in the ratings. 

And it isn't just "bad" to cancel bookings. You get penalized in many ways. 

Construction completion dates are not dependable, as you have acknowledged.

Don't be overly optimistic about timelines and trying to list before the place is really ready for guests. That could result in all sorts of issues.

And it would be a good idea for you to stay there yourself before your first bookings. 

There can be things you haven't thought of unless you spend some nights and days there yourself.

Like "Oh, goodness, that porch light glares right in the bedroom window at night. We'll need blackout curtains there."

Thanks so much - I really appreciate the help!

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Dena156   I would wait until you have a Certificate of Occupany and the contractors are done done done.  You can build your listing and put it on snooze until the CofO is in hand.

We built a home.  The expected completion date was April.  We were unable to occupy it until August.

Thank you so much!