Why does a property that has not signed up to the Enhanced Cleaning Protocol still appear first in a search

Christine591
Level 4
Kritsa, Greece

Why does a property that has not signed up to the Enhanced Cleaning Protocol still appear first in a search

We have recently signed up to the Enhanced Cleaning Protocol as it is now available in Greece.  When Airbnb first launched this we decided to adopt this way of cleaning although it wasn't available in Greece at that time.  We felt it was very important to let guest's know we are committed to not only making them feel as safe as possible but our community and ourselves, so once it was available we had no hesitation in officially signing up to it.  As all hosts that have committed to this know,  it is very time consuming but worth doing for everyone's well being and to appear further up the list of properties available in a specific area (Airbnb's statement not mine). 

Can someone please enlighten me as to why when I do a search of my area without any dates stated or number of nights, the property that appears top of the list is a property that has not signed up to this protocol.   The owner of the property was also a Superhost but his listing no longer states this.  Ok he has good reviews and has maybe cancelled guest's due to the recent restrictions regarding COVID19 and therefore if he didn't state his reason for cancelling reservations he may have had his Superhost status removed.  My point is, why are the properties who have committed to this extra safety measure (and we all appear after this listing) not listed before a host that can't be bothered to look after tourists and his community?  The advice here in Greece from the Government is you can either clean a property normally but leave it unoccupied for at least 24 hours or have a strict cleaning regime similar to the one many have signed up to with Airbnb.  When you do both by choosing a preparation day in between, it's like a kick in the teeth to not be recognised for making that extra effort of safety.

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Simple answer is because Airbnb takes into account multiple factors to decide rankings for listings. 

As you know they also alternate where listings are placed.

Perhaps you have clicked on your competitor a lot, so Airbnb prioritise showing it to you, as you have indicated you are interested in the property. @Christine591 

Thank you Helen,  very helpful reply.