Your top questions about Airbnb Search

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your top questions about Airbnb Search

Search

Hello everyone,

One of the most popular discussion topics here in the Community Center is on how Airbnb Search works. We brought your most-asked questions to the Airbnb Search team and have gathered the answers for you.

I really hope you find the responses helpful. To read the responses to each question, please click on the 'Read more' buttons! 🙂

Lizzie

Answers to your top Search questions

You’ve created and published a fabulous listing and now your friends and family want to check it out. How do they find it? And among all the listings out there, how does the Airbnb algorithm decide which ones to show a traveler searching in your area? As we hear questions from hosts, two basic categories of questions emerge: What affects a listing’s ranking, and how can I find my listing online? So we took your most asked questions to the Airbnb Search team and have gathered the answers for you. Let’s dive in.

1. On search ranking, and how to improve yours:

What factors affect my listing’s placement in search results?

Read more

That’s a great question. We have an algorithm that looks at over 100 signals to decide how to order listings in search results.  Most of those signals have to do with things that guests care about, like positive reviews and great photos. If you think guests might care about it, it probably factors into your ranking! The reason is this: you’re most likely to get a booking request (or be instantly booked) if a traveler finds the type of place they’re looking for right away. We get a lot of information from the traveler about what they want for then show them listings that match their needs most closely.

Not every signal is weighed equally, and you don’t need to have a perfect listing or an unbeatable location for your listing to rank well. But there are some really influential signals that make a difference. Some of those include: how often guests click on your listing in search results, how often guests attempt to contact you from your listing page, how many booking requests you accept, if you use Instant Book, and how competitive your listing price is.

Why are listings with Instant Book prioritised ahead of other listings in the search results?

Read more

The main goal of the search algorithm is to facilitate bookings. And if a guest has an excellent experience booking and traveling on Airbnb they’re highly likely to use Airbnb again in the future. This helps travelers and hosts alike. We’ve seen for many years that—all other things being equal—travelers prefer to use Instant Book because they can book quickly, skip the wait time for hosts to respond, and avoid possibly being rejected. Because of the high booking success for hosts and guests, Instant Book gives your listing a boost in searches.

That said, many of you have amazing listings and use a Request to Book approach to hosting. It’s important that you know Instant Book is only one of more than a hundred factors in your listing search ranking. You can absolutely rank really well in searches without being an Instant Book host.

If I’m a Superhost, will my listing get a boost in search results?

Read more
Although we don't give an explicit boost to Superhosts in search, the factors required to become a Superhost do help your listing rank higher. Moreover, we give guests the option to filter their search results to only display Superhosts and occasionally showcase Superhosts on the results page.

How can I improve my listing ranking in search results? Are there any settings I can adopt to help my ranking?

Read more

The best way to immediately improve performance in Search is to enable Instant Book. Our research shows that guests prefer the booking experience that Instant Book provides. Even when they don’t filter for Instant Book listings, they often choose them over others because booking a place to stay quickly means they can get on with planning the rest of their trip. Other ways to quickly boost your ranking:

• Make a fabulous first impression. Make sure that your first photo is a bright, attractive, high quality, horizontal image of your listing. The more clicks you get from curious travelers, the higher you’ll rank in search results over time. An enticing and realistic photo is the very best way to show off your space in an instant.
  • Price your listing competitively. Travelers are frequently looking for a great value for their trip, and by using tools like Smart Pricing, or setting your own competitive price, you can get the benefit of well informed pricing recommendations.

Is it true that if guests add my listing to their wishlists, my listing will get a little boost in the search results?

Read more
Yes! When travelers add your listing to their wishlist, it does indeed help your search ranking! One individual wishlist may not make a visible difference but over several months, if many guests love your listing and choose to wishlist it, it will rank higher. We also use listings that guests wishlist to better personalize their search experience, so they’ll be likely to see your listing again in future searches.

Is it true that editing and tweaking my listing every day will help boost my listing in Search?

Read more
Repeatedly changing or tweaking your listing will neither help nor hurt your Search Ranking. If you’re happy with your photos, price, and description, feel free to leave it as is and wait for booking requests to arrive!

Can I pay to advertise my listing so it appears on more search results?

Read more
Airbnb does not offer pay-for-placement in Search. This allows us to generate impartial search results for the best matches between hosts and guests. But you can advertise, if you like. We’ve made it easy for you to find, copy, and paste the information needed to embed your listing on social media and your personal blog or website: On your listing page, you’ll see “Share” on the right hand side of the screen. Underneath that, you’ll see the embed icon. It looks like this: </>. If you click that icon, you’ll see the information you need to easily copy and paste your listings code on your personal blog or website.

Why am I on the last page on search? This way no one will ever book my listing?

Read more
It’s important to know that some searches, for example city-level with no dates, are not highly representative of how a traveler looking to book uses the website. Some of those searches can capture many tens of thousands of listings. Travelers that book tend to use specific dates, zoom in on the map, or look for certain amenities using filters. So there will be far fewer listings in the search results than with a general search with no preferences or filters.

If I have to decline a booking because a guest doesn’t meet my House Rules, does this impact my search ranking?

Read more

Because being rejected for a booking is one of the worst experiences for our guests, we do factor this into Search Ranking. However, we understand that sometimes you legitimately need to decline a traveler, and we take that into account. We’re most interested in how you compare to other hosts, rather than just counting your rejections.

A single rejection will not significantly hurt your ranking, but over time, rejecting more guests than other hosts in your market will lower your ranking. We find that a large majority of our hosts are able to accept most booking requests, and our best Request-to-Book hosts accept almost all of them. You can help travelers know if they should try to book your space by writing clear, detailed House Rules and keeping your calendar up to date. Make sure your settings and amenities lists also set accurate expectations.

2. On finding your listing online

I just created my listing and it appears as published on my profile, but when I search for it I can't find it. If other people search for it, they can't find it either. Why is that?

Read more
There is usually a delay of around 6 hours between the time you publish a listing and when it shows up in search results. This gives you time to make final changes to your listing settings before receiving your first booking request. It also gives Airbnb time to ensure every new listing is suitable for the marketplace. If you don’t see your listing within 24 hours, you can contact customer support to find out why.

I haven't received a new booking in awhile, so I searched for my listing and asked a friend to search for it too. Neither of us could find it, and it’s not showing up even when I add specific details and filters. What can I do?

Read more

If your listing is in a popular market with numerous listings, it may be necessary to apply several filters to show your listing. Don’t worry, this is how travelers search and they’ll be able to find your listing too! We recommend using dates on your search, and checking that they match your calendar availability and minimum nights settings.

A common reason Instant Book hosts (or their friends) may not see their listing is that they’ve chosen to require a guest have positive reviews in order to make a book their space. If you’ve chosen this requirement, it means your listing will show up as a Request to Book, not an Instant Book, listing for logged out users or new guests if the Instant Book filter is applied. This is because a logged out or new traveler will not be eligible to instantly book your place.

I can’t find my listing. Does it make a difference if I’m logged in or logged out?

Read more
Most listings on Airbnb should show up in searches regardless of whether you’re logged in or not, although the ranking may appear different. This is because Airbnb search is personalized, and when a traveler logs in we have more information to better match them with listings. One exception to this is for hosts who allow Instant Book but have chosen to require that guests have positive reviews. In this case, if the Instant Book filter is applied, your listing would not show up to travelers who are logged out. This is because we can’t tell if a logged out visitor to the site has reviews.

I can see the listing appearing on the map in the Airbnb app, but when I go to view the same listing (with the same filters) in the desktop version, it isn't appearing. Why is this?

Read more
Airbnb Search is personalized to help travelers find the best listings for their trip. Part of that involves looking at the device and location they’re searching from. This means that you may experience a different ranking of listings on different devices.

I have Instant Book activated, but my listing doesn't come up in the results. Isn't Instant Book supposed to boost my listing on search results?

Read more
Instant Book does give you a boost, but it sounds like there may be another reason you’re not seeing your listing in the results. Make sure that your search criteria match the settings and requirements you’ve established. Anything from minimum nights requirement to date range, number of guests or not having reviews can hinder you from seeing your listing in a search. And of course, if you require guests have previous ratings, then it may be that you haven’t traveled on Airbnb yourself or that you’re not logged in as a guest.

I can’t find my listing when I search for its title. Why doesn’t Airbnb have keyword search? Will it be implemented in the future?

Read more
Keyword search, and especially free-text search, is extremely technically challenging, but an exciting product to build! Rest assured that we have an excellent team that is always investigating how to improve the search experience, and we hope that changes like these will make it into the product in coming years.

The most important thing is this: you’re a unique host who offers a one-of-a-kind experience, because you’re you and your space isn’t like any other. We hope these tips and answers help you understand the sometimes complicated nature of matching unique travelers with hosts. Focus on what you do best, play up your strengths, and don’t worry about showing up first in search.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

424 Replies 424

Hi, Cecily

You said   people should be able to send a note to us without us having

to hit decline or accept when they have not even put in a date!

If they prospective guest has not even entered dates, then it is simply an

'Inquiry', not a Booking Request.

I have just left 'Inquiries' alone, there is no penalty when you have no idea what dates the guest wants to book

So - maybe I totally  misunderstand the problem.

In my experience the system will not allow a Booking Request without the potential Guest having entered dates for their stay (how could it without the potential for double booking)

By sending me a message I STILL had to hit the decline button

which is absolutely not fair, since they were not "booking".

The system may permit an 'Inquiry' (a Note) without them having entered Dates (though I believe dates a required to send even an Inquiry), but an Inquiry is just that, an Inquiry, not a Booking Request which you can 'PreApprove' otherwise you provide the answer to their question, The End, untill they turn the Inquiry into an actual 'Booking Request'

Once dates have been entered the system will not permit an actual 'Booking Request' (and possibly even an Inquiry) for fewer nights than your settings state (in your case 30 days)

Hi!

I am dismayed to hear that declining a guest puts a host lower on the search list.

Originally Airbnb said hosts would never be penalized for declining a guest.

I understand that "guest declines" may be one measure of a host showing prejudice against guests based on ethnicity, race, etc., which we never do.

But I think Airbnb should investigate these declines more before penalizing the host.

We always accept a guest's request unless the guest has made a mistake by not reading the listing information, i.e. we state clearly on our Tree House listings that we have a policy of not permitting children under 5 years in tree houses for safety reasons (the height of the tree houses). But many people just don't read, and request listings that once we've communicated with them, they say, "Oh, we don't want that." We can frequently find them accommodations in our one-story casitas so a booking results even though the guest's original request had to be declined, often at their request.

Making everything automatic takes some of the humanity out of Airbnb.

At the same time, I understand that Airbnb can't have actual human beings reviewing every transaction because the sheer volume.

All the best, Kathy

@Kathy-and-Bernie0, if you are deciding with the guest, that they should book another listing instead, you can change it from one listing to another, just like changing duration. You make the changes, adapt days and price, it’s sent, the guest confirms. Does not count as refusal. 

I say in such cases, that the guest should retract the booking, his card will not be charged. Magic words. Half of them retract the booking after a serious warning about things they did not read. 

When I have to cancel a non responsive guest, I do it on the computer, to be able to choose a reason. There is one about wrong dates, listing problems, feeling uncomfortable and spam. I choose Listing problems and write that I fear a fall (or whatever). It’s a bit of work, as you have to give a reason, write a reason for airbnb and write a nice mail to the guest not to scare them off the platform. 

If they book with uou afterwards, I guess it does not count the same way as a strict refusal. Some of mine book agsin too, after they got the wake up call, read the mail and complied wigh the requests to read the listing and  answer the original questions. 

Patricia770
Level 2
Newport, RI

why is there no way to search for a place without having to give an exact date and paying up front. I want to look for a place in Florida but I have certain questions that I want to ask the hostess before I book and I can’t seem to do that ..that makes it very difficult

why is there no way to search for a place without having

to give an exact date and paying up front.

Searches do not require dates (I just did it)

However, entering dates helps narrow the listing to places that would be available for your time period

There is no 'Pay UpFront' even before you find a space to Book

So I really don't see the problem

There is a Contact Host link on every listing. It was a button like the Request to book button several years ago. Now it’s a text link and a bit harder to find. But you can contact hosts before booking. Only, please, enter dates first. Everyone hates getting useless conversation about dates, that are not available. And requests for one from a family of five, when there are only beds for one or three. The basic information, dates, number of guests and maybe a budget range are really necessary in places with thousands of listings. 

Annie147
Level 6
Miami, FL

I just started doing this is March 2017.  Instant booking does have an advantage in my opinion. You're able to generate really good money (when you consider that some are one night stays with the same cleaning fees as for a week stay) for days in between listings.

We had a horrible experience with one guest which we would hate to repeat: he removed the fire alram, burnt the cigarette buds on our hardwood floors and yanked the tv off the wall and placed it in another room.

I sincerely was about to quit Airbnb because it took too long for them to resolve this issue. They paid my deposit and to this day I don't know if they removed the guest. His name is Gary Nixon. I hope he never anywhere again.

I'd like to think that this is an isolated incident; nevertheless; after countless hours of being on the phone with Airbnb I was able to take the following precautions which have truly helped while still leaving "INSTANT BOOKING" feature on:

a.- I have removed the entry code from the house rules/manual.

b.- I have stated in the listing that a photo ID will be required for ALL guests 18 or over and that this request will be sent after they book. They have the right to decline in which case we WILL decline the listing (note that this has NEVER happened, on the contrary, even under close proximity to the time frame that they will arrive at our place they have provided ALL ID's for any group.

The good thing and reasoning behind this, is to hold the group accountable legally in any state. For what happened to us, if at that time we would have any or all ID's, we could have easily called the cops and file a police report immediately which would have stayed in their personal records. This is vital even if you cannot collect on all damages. It is perfectly legal that you ask for ID's. The key is in "Asking for them". They are coming into your home and you are within your right even if if only one person does the booking as happens in a hotel. Believe me, throughout the course of the conversation with the guests, they will feel more comfortable with you and so much enfasis will be placed in reading the house rules, that almost all of them will easily comply AND ALSO READ the house rules (which sadly a lot of guests don't bother to do.

c.- We will not provide an entry code even if they are at the door waiting unless we have ALL ID'S. Although a few time it's frustrating, they do end up understanding. I usually use the excuse (which is also matter of fact) that the reason I need to get all ID's is to ensure the same people that book are the same ones gaining access to our unit, and because; since we offer a bottle of wine upon each booking; we need to comfirm that all the group is over 21, otherwise, we will leave more snacks and no wine since in Florida it's ilegal to serve alcohol to anyone under 21.  Up to date, ALL have been NICELY compliant and understood. It also gives me the opportunity to VERBALLY explain to the booker that there will be legal consequences if there is damage to the property.

d.- The house rules are in the listing, however, this criteria allows me to email or text just that without making the guest find the rules in the portal, this means they literally receive it twice; which gives you as a host; a better opportunity to ensure that they follow your guidelines.

e.- For the most part, when I have had to deduct amounts from a deposit, the fact that all this is in place makes it very smooth for guests to accept the approval of any extra charge, as there is simply no excuse.

I hope this helps, because Instant booking is really a must for those hosts that rent an entire space and not a shared space.

Annie

I think everybody on here is slightly mad. You are opening your house as an Inn. Shared or not.

Guests have a right to the space and to live their life as they choose. I belly laughed when I read that one host 'thought' they smelt 'drugs'. Bwahahahaaaa 🙂

It's none of our business what our guests do. We must live and let live .. and by opening our house we forego the right to disapprove, discriminate.

It sounds to me that most conservative god-fearing people here would only be happy with a guest if airbnb supplied a 24 hour security guard to watch over them. Stop being so bloody paranoid!

If you really don't like a guest then do what I do .. shoot them and eat them.

Remind me to never book (or Instant Book) @Mutawintji0's place! 😉

@Jann3  You are so right, yet again.  A psychiatrist friend of mine once told me that those who suspect that they might be crazy seldom are -- while those are are certifiably crazy are certain that they are not.  Like you, that's one Airbnb destination that I'll be avoiding.  Being a discriminating host can have a variety of meanings.  I'm looking for a discriminating host when I travel, and I'm trying to be a discriminating host when I receive guests.  That has nothing to do with bigotry and everything to do with courtesy, consideration, and respect for one another.   Respect and tolerance do not dictate that I put up with people who, themselves, do not understand and practice those concepts.  I realize that there are some Airbnb hosts who are neither respectful nor tolerant, and there are, likewise, some Airbnb guests who are the same sort of narcissists.  Fortunately, I meet very few of them.  I intend to keep it that way.

Sorry I don't agree that they have a "right" to the space....they have a right to the space as long as they respect it. I am a heavy short-term renter as I travel a lot. I am renting a VRBO property right now and before that I rented an AirBnB space for a month. When I am not in my home in Canada, I rent my dwelling on AirBnB. As a guest, I have a right to the space as long as I respect it and respect the rules of that dwelling. Without mutual respect and a sense of being considerate of others, it doesn't work. Go to a hotel. Even then, disrespecting a dwelling will work against you because hotels can boot people out. 

Very interesting.  Since I have only 3/4 of a lung, I do not tolerate smokers, of any sort.  Not in my house, nor my yard nor in the same block.  Same with pets and pet poop.  Not in my backyard.  Sleep with your dog in your own house.

gnd

This is the cruelest argument I've ever seen ever. Yes, I agree , our guests have to know: no good but tasty. Ha, ha...Seriously, there is a kind of taking chance . Good or bad, open your heart, your house and pray to God 

Phil83
Level 1
Nashville, TN

I recently did a search on Brentwood Tn to find my listing and in my price range 18 listings appeared  NONE of them actually in Brentwood Tn. The majority of them in Davidson county which is mainly downtown Nashville and NOT Williamson County which is where I directed my search. It did list one in Williamson but in Franklin Tn at least 11 miles from Brentwood.  Why if I actually have a Brentwood listing did mine NOT show up at all??? In fairness NONE of the listings should have shown up as NONE were in Brentwood which is quite a large city.  Seems to me favorites are being played in the listing game by AIRBNB.

MaryBeth19
Level 1
Nantucket, MA

Reviews impact our standing as hosts i.e  super Host status and influence decisons being made by future guests.  I beleive the review system must find a way to allow for two factors  because not all reviewers are equal.

1.  Guests who are first time  (or maybe second time)  using Airbnb  have nothing to compare your listing to. There should be a question as to how many times they have used Airbnb.  Againt what standard or what experience is your listing being judged?

2.  Are guests familiar with your area?  I live in a very expensive resort area and have lost a star several tmes on the "value" question because the guest doing the review has no idea what hotels and other rentals cost .  Perhaps a question such as "have you ever stayed in ____________ before?" would help weight their response.

The star system needs to be refined a bit.