exact location revealing?

Answered!
Sergiu0
Level 1
Romania

exact location revealing?

Hello!

A potential guest asks me to reveal the exact address of the apartment i offer for hosting... can i do that?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

My home is a single family home. Showing the location within 100 meters would show my exact location. That's the size of my yard! If you don't trust that the host knows the distance from their property to public transport, don't rent from that host.

Revealing the exact location is dangerous. Period. If you need to know the exact location, get a hotel. I'm tired of people on here making excuses for needing to know the exact location of a property that has a private owner. If you don't like Airbnb's reasons for not revealing the exact location before booking, then get a hotel.

As a property owner AND someone who has used Airbnb as a renter all over the world, I stand by my reason that revealing the exact location to people who have not booked is dangerous. I do not, as a renter, want the owner of the property giving out the exact location of the place where I am staying to someone, anyone, who hasn't booked the property. That person could come there while I'm staying there and do anything.

People who need the exact location, for any reason, should book hotels. If you  have mobility issues and can't walk very far, stay in a hotel that is equipped to handle those issues. Sounds harsh, but it is true. Do you want, as a renter, complete strangers who haven't put up any money to find this location, to know exactly where that property with unsuspecting renters who potentially have a lot of cash is? Who may be women staying alone? I don't. 

View Best Answer in original post

180 Replies 180
Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

@Sergiu0 just tell him the two main streets like the intersection x and y 

I tried that but she still wanted to know the exact address. 

I was very uncomfortable, but I need the money, so I checked her references and reviews before answering. 

Dan259
Level 2
Quezon City, Philippines

Personally, i also want to know more about where i'm going to stay at when i book on airbnb. The huge perimeter of the circle on the map is a difference of a minute walk or a 20 minute walk towards the nearest transport subway. Take the area of Myeongdong in Seoul for example. The circle on the map sometimes stretches to the Namdaemun Gate which is a 20 minute walk to the subway. Also, sometimes this is being used by some hosts to make their place more favorable to guests because of location when in fact they far from transport, hangout, or destinations. I like the suggestion given by one in this thread--allow the hosts to declare their location to as near as 100m. And allow guests to filter hosts based on their declaration of perimeter as well. I know, a 20 minute walk is not that far, but I'd like to be sure and verify for myself when a host tells me that he's a minute from the subway and not 20 minutes. 

My home is a single family home. Showing the location within 100 meters would show my exact location. That's the size of my yard! If you don't trust that the host knows the distance from their property to public transport, don't rent from that host.

Revealing the exact location is dangerous. Period. If you need to know the exact location, get a hotel. I'm tired of people on here making excuses for needing to know the exact location of a property that has a private owner. If you don't like Airbnb's reasons for not revealing the exact location before booking, then get a hotel.

As a property owner AND someone who has used Airbnb as a renter all over the world, I stand by my reason that revealing the exact location to people who have not booked is dangerous. I do not, as a renter, want the owner of the property giving out the exact location of the place where I am staying to someone, anyone, who hasn't booked the property. That person could come there while I'm staying there and do anything.

People who need the exact location, for any reason, should book hotels. If you  have mobility issues and can't walk very far, stay in a hotel that is equipped to handle those issues. Sounds harsh, but it is true. Do you want, as a renter, complete strangers who haven't put up any money to find this location, to know exactly where that property with unsuspecting renters who potentially have a lot of cash is? Who may be women staying alone? I don't. 

Makes no sense. Renter needs to know approximate location listed on the map is accurate. Period. False to reveal location 4-5 miles away from intended spot renter was interested in. Ridiculous to state otherwise. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Devesh4 

As a Host it would be great if we had our Guests exact location and address to for an even playing field.

We are all entitled to Personal Safety in our homes and that must be respected.

Was the rest of your stay enjoyable & 5 stars?

Hi, no one needs exact location. Just approximate.

Airbnb should check credit history and rate the renters based on quantifiable data.

But for a renter to pay; then realize the location is 4-5 miles away is just in poor taste.

Some hosts write back “sorry slight error on the map” it’s not slight— it’s major; some are kind enough to ask is this ok? And cancel if not. Some don’t. Then you feel stuck and quite understandably and justifiably peeved that you feel hoodwinked. (Correct use of that pun lol)

Bob141
Level 2
Cottonwood Heights, UT

I also would like to know the exact location.  I've stayed at an airbnb that had great reviews.  But, it turned out to be located on a very busy street.  Zoom, zoom, zoom all night long!  I submitted a change request but ended up paying for two nights when I only spent one sleepless night.  To tell the truth, It may be the last time I use Airbnb

Ivonne31
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

theres alot of fake host profiles giving great reviews to fake guest Profiles its sad dont not give your info out until they book they then will have all the info they need to your location, guest please learn how to use your app or try the website, if that makes it easier for you have a good one

Melissa396
Level 2
Singapore

I wanted to know the exact locations so I can compare them on Google maps and take a look at the surroundings with Google Earth.

From a travellers point of view it is all positive 

From a host point of view it compromises their personal security and privacy

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

As a potential guest, one has the ability to message the host prior to booking to determine where their listing is in relation to town center or wherever you will be wanting to go, as well as if it is on a busy noisy street, etc. It is not necessary to know the exact address, which is a security issue for the host. 

Guests need to take some responsibility for their booking decisions without possibly endangering the host.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Guests must be reminded to ask questions via the Send a Message and not ever ask the exact address.

I've had a couple of Guests ask what the distance was from my home to where they had to go to so used Google directions & was able to give approximate walking & driving distance.

It's a good idea to screenshot a map of your area with maps / public transport stops in one's vicinity - if public transport is available as that helps with planning.

To those asking for an exact location, do you freely give your own home address to random strangers you meet on the street?

Didn't think so, Airbnb Hosts shouldn't be asked such things til it's booked.

Justin1214
Level 1
Santa Cruz, CA

Not sure if this thread is still active or not, but I had a question that's related to hosts waiting to give out the address. I'm about to travel to Mexico and need to fill out a tourist information card that requires the hotel name or address that I'll be staying at, but my host says they wont give out the exact address until the day/day before check in. Is this normal? I was pre-approved and have booked multiple weeks in advance, but this little hiccup is giving me some second thoughts of concern. TIA

@Justin1214 Is the address not in your itinerary details?