hosting an infant in a non-childproofed place

Catherine103
Level 2
Honolulu, HI

hosting an infant in a non-childproofed place

Hi community, I have my place marked as not suitable for infants and children as I did not child proof it (corner bumbers, cupboard locks etc) and there is a balcony with a little outdoor couch and bar area that could present a fall risk. I also do not propose a crib. A guest asked if they could rent the place with her 1yo infant. I clarified with her all of the above. If she explicitedly says she's ok with it in response, do you think I am ok renting it out to her with the infant? Thank you

5 Replies 5
Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

I wouldn’t accept the booking. Your rules are there for a reason. Ultimately if something happens you are liable. It’s not worth it 

Bettye6
Level 10
McHenry, IL

Hi @Catherine103 ,

I have had several littles be part of my guest group & my place is not 100% child proof. I did toggle what I provide though I do not have child locks on cabinets, safety door knobs, no safety corner caps on tables & glass top end table.
When I was building my listing I talked to an attorney plus my insurance company & both gave me 👍🏻 to OK all ages. They both were in agreement that I have proper pictures showing my place & toggled what I could provide for infants. 

Anyone can get hurt & I provided due diligence in my transparency regarding children.

With that in mind I feel this falls into the 50/50 category. Some will allow & some won’t a myriad of scenarios. Follow your own gut to sleep better. Anyone @ anytime can have an accident on my property, which I could be liable for. Even when my family/friends are visiting.

My attorney put it this way, though I don’t have a pool, if I did an adult could accidentally drown or slip & get hurt. So would I tell my guests no pool, hire a life guard, etc. for fear of the potential of an accident? I can’t live in the what ifs. If I am that fearful of potential of accidents then I am in the wrong business.

If it doesn’t feel right or comfortable to you in any scenario of guests  then offer a polite  no.

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

No, I would not accept the booking. 

Had an absolutely terrible experience with this family of 5 that tried to cram their entire family into a room with maximum occupancy of 2 with only a single queen bed. They had 2 infants as well. 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Catherine103 👋

You've got some responses here from other Hosts. Did any of the answers below support you in making a decision with this guest? If so, it's always a lovely gesture to mark it as the best answer. It's like a big virtual hug to the member who supported you, and will also support other Hosts who are in a similar situation. 😊 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I wouldn't . I don't accept infants because I have a pond/open fire etc  @Catherine103 

The safety risks for your place exist whether or not the guest with the infant feels its okay.