hosting back to back

Troopers-Landing0
Level 2
Minnesota, United States

hosting back to back

we are new this summer and have had 3 renters so far. our second renter was awful. we got money for almost $700 worth of damages. they agreed to pay it which is unreal to me. 

my question is- if we come to find our rental was not able to accommodate the next guest after a previous guest left it in such a way you would have to repair/extreme clean etc. before someone could stay there. How does airbnb help you help the guest with accomodations or how do i help the guest as a host? 

just trying to see if this has ever happened to someone and what you did. 

5 Replies 5
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Don't be under any illusions. Airbnb will scoff at that notion.

In fact, it's >your< fault for not preventing this type of thing in the first place, and having to cancel the next guest because of it could find you subjected to additional penalties for cancelling the following guest. 

Just don't let it happen in the first place. Scare them away before they book, or demand a hefty security deposit (funny how well they behave themselves when there's 1000 bucks to lose). 

🤨

@Troopers-Landing0   There are some situations where tight turnovers can be a safe proposition. For example, onsite Private Room hosts who only have to turn a bedroom and have a good general idea of what to expect. Or Entire Homes that are so minimalist you could practically clean every surface with a garden hose. Otherwise, there's always going to be the risk that the home can't be returned to an acceptable condition before the incoming check-in - not a risk you can afford when you're still building up your reputation.

FYI, if a guest finds themselves stuck with a cancellation at the last minute, Airbnb usually does NOT do anything useful to re-house them. So if you find yourself in this awful situation, you are the face of their vacation being ruined and they can still review you. That's pretty much the end of your hosting career before it's properly begun. And then there's also the Covid factor; conventional wisdom is that some time should elapse between one group vacating and another entering the home to reduce the transmission risk, even though the specifics vary according to factors like ventilation. Guests who choose a self-contained home over a hotel specifically out of concern for exposure would generally prefer to know that they're not coming in mere hours after a bunch of people checked out.

Since you're still in the process of sharpening your turnover routine, I'd suggest that you be extra generous with yourself on preparation time - think of the time it would take to do an extreme clean/repair session, and make sure that amount is blocked off between every listing in your calendar settings. This can always be re-tuned later.

thank you! this is so helpful. i agree. i think that is the way to go to make sure we can host with the best intentions and with covid have it cleaned to the best we can. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Troopers-Landing0  what Iwe have done is make friends with all hosts around us in the same street. Now if anything happens to any of us and we have to relocate our guests we have somebody to call. Same thing if someone has overbooking or gets an inquiry for booked dates. 

i like this too! i know of over properties but definitely should look at this more and connect with owners.