"This home is in the Bottom 10% of Eligible listings." Seriously?

Sudha33
Level 2
Mount Abu, India

"This home is in the Bottom 10% of Eligible listings." Seriously?

While everybody is talking about the Top 1/5/10% property highlights feature that was rolled out in the Summer 2024 release, nobody has raised a concern about the "Bottom 10%" label that was introduced along with it. Just like the "Top 1%" label, the logic for this "Bottom 10%" label is very subjective. There are no clear metrics that shows why a property has been categorized under it.

This label adds a negative tag to the property, which overrides the overall ratings and reviews that we have gathered over months/years. For example, a guest would be willing to consider a property with an average rating  of 4.7 with some good recent 5-star reviews. But once they see this label just above the reviews, they will definitely not book it. I mean who would want to stay in a Bottom 10% property, right? This will also take away the opportunity for hosts to improve our ratings in the future. No bookings means no new 5-star ratings.

I wonder what value AirBnB is gaining out of tagging their host's property with such negative labelling, even when the property has a good enough rating to be on their platform? If you want us to delist, just let us know.

Disclosure: We have been impacted by this Bottom 10% label and our conversion rate has gone down to 0%  (despite having 86% first-page search impressions and 9% search-to-listing conversions). And if you think you won't be impacted by it, remember it is just a matter of 1 biased negative review from a guest to override your overall rating and get you tagged as Bottom 10%!

24 Replies 24

Thank you @Zheng49 for the support. This becomes more interesting when listings with lower ratings than yours do not get this tag, but you do (It is happening to us). This becomes a very subjective thing, especially if the low rating is given by an over-demanding guest, for things beyond your control.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Clearly I didn't say it was bad @Zheng49 I was trying to help @Sudha33 understand why he was in the bottom 10%

Airbnb sees 4.6 as poor ratings . If you look at his ratings he's being marked down for areas within his control such as cleanliness , check in and accuracy .

if you're in business (not in school) and you know some customers are unhappy with the service you provide. You look to address the issues causing unhappiness ie issues with cleanliness rather than ignoring them and continuing to attract negative feedback 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Sudha33 and others who have shared on this thread, 

We believe it’s important to provide guests with all of the information they need to decide whether a listing is right for them. To support Hosts who want to improve their listing quality, we’ve added more tips and education to our Resource Center as well as a quality webinar for eligible Hosts.

Quality isn’t just determined by a listing’s overall rating: There are many factors that we use to understand more about a guest’s stay, including subcategory ratings, Host cancellations and quality-related customer service issues. We use all of this information to determine where a listing sits on the quality scale of all listings across Airbnb. 

I hope this helps provide some clarity however, if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask. 

Rebecca 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello Rebecca, thank you for taking the time to address our concern. I have a few follow-up questions and hoping that you could answer them for the benefit of this community.

1. How far in the past do you review the parameters for to assign these Highlight labels? Is it 30/60/90 days or more?

2. Once a tag is assigned, how long does it stay for? Does it get removed automatically or only based on fulfilling some parameters? Can hosts get visibility to those specific parameters?

3. If hosts need to score a few 5-star ratings to get rid of the negative Bottom 10% label, how will that work, since we won't get any more bookings? (Check our conversion insights mentioned earlier). So while we appreciate AirBnB providing resources for hosts to improve the ratings, it won't make a difference.

4. Has AirBnB considered the potential misuse of this new feature? A competitor can have their friends/family stay for 1 night, leave a negative review for 1-2 parameters, without using any language that flags your community guidelines. Based on the recent low score, a Bottom 10% tag is assigned to the property, which overrides the overall rating. The hosts have no option to get the review removed.

PS: We have 0 host cancellations and 0 security/privacy issues reported by guests. So we're pretty sure this tag was assigned due to a recent negative review from 1 guest.

Thank you for your patience and time. It seems like we are stuck with this label without any clarity or way forward.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Sudha33 👋

Thanks for your patience whilst I got you some answers. 

1. How far in the past do you review the parameters for to assign these Highlight labels? Is it 30/60/90 days or more?

To qualify for a highlight, a listing must have received at least five reviews within the past two years.

2. Once a tag is assigned, how long does it stay for? Does it get removed automatically or only based on fulfilling some parameters? Can hosts get visibility to those specific parameters?

I'm still asking for clarification on this one, please bear with me and hopefully I'll have an answer soon. 

3. If hosts need to score a few 5-star ratings to get rid of the negative Bottom 10% label, how will that work, since we won't get any more bookings? (Check our conversion insights mentioned earlier). So while we appreciate AirBnB providing resources for hosts to improve the ratings, it won't make a difference.

As you have rightly said, to support Hosts who want to improve their listing quality, we’ve added more tips and education to our Resource Center as well as a quality webinar for eligible Hosts. We take several factors into consideration, including overall rating, subcategory ratings, Host cancellations, and quality-related customer service issues. We use this to daily evaluate all eligible listings on Airbnb and determine the top 1%, 5%, or 10% and bottom 10%. 

4. Has AirBnB considered the potential misuse of this new feature? A competitor can have their friends/family stay for 1 night, leave a negative review for 1-2 parameters, without using any language that flags your community guidelines. Based on the recent low score, a Bottom 10% tag is assigned to the property, which overrides the overall rating. The hosts have no option to get the review removed.

If you believe a guest’s review is unfair or retaliatory, you can dispute the review—no matter when it was posted. If the dispute is successful, the review and star rating associated with it will not be counted. 

I hope this helps and I'll come back to you either way re question 2. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you for the detailed response Rebecca. A few thoughts:

1. Eligibility for getting a Tag may be different from the actual metrics used for assigning the tag. If AirBnB really looks at reviews as far back as 2 years, then don't you think it will be a little unfair for hosts who have taken measures to improve their ratings recently? I believe it will be based on more recent scores/metrics and I was wondering how "recent" that is. Also, I just noticed that there are other listings who have a rating of just 4.0 in the same town as us, but they do not have this Tag.

2. We will wait for your response.

3. Since the tag has been assigned to us on 1st May, we have received 0 bookings. This is despite having 85% First Page Search impressions (No. 2 on the list) and 8% Search-to-listing conversion. This being the peak summer tourist season in our town, we're pretty sure that the Tag has a role to play in it. So my point is, if we do not get any bookings, it will not make a difference if we use the published resources to improve our amenities/cleanliness, etc.

4. We already tried this for a couple of reviews which were clearly retaliatory in nature, where the guest had unreasonable demands and then used the reviews to get back at us. We were ready to show proof for it, but the AirBnB support kept giving the same response: "This review does not breach our policies. We do not mediate between guest and host. You have the option to leave a response to the review." While it is unfair for hosts to be held guilty unless proven otherwise, we are still ready to provide proof of the biased reviews, but AirBnB isn't willing to consider them.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally @Sudha33 as a guest ...

I think it's a good thing that guests are notified when a listing falls in the bottom 10% of listings for an area.

hosts with lower ratings normally know why this is the case and have the opportunity to address any issues before it gets to a situation where they are labelled in the bottom 10%. 

@Helen3 I wonder if this new measure reflects the locality or a worldwide position. If the latter it does feel a little unfair as I suspect some countries get lower review scores than others. I hope it is a local top/bottom percentage otherwise it really doesnt add much to a guest's decision making. 

That's something we are also trying to figure out @Mike-And-Jane0 . We found out that there are other listings in the same area who have a much lower rating (4.0) than ours (4.61) but still don't have this tag. So now it has become a misleading classification. Also there are plenty of listing who are "New" or have 0 reviews and are hence perhaps excluded from the 10% calculation. So this seems like discrimination against seasoned hosts, who will ultimately get a few negative reviews over a period of time.

Hello @Helen3  I agree with you and as an experienced host, we have constantly upgraded our property and addressed all reasonable concerns raised by guests. But there are always things which are beyond our control, for example, a guest demanding a concierge/porter service to carry around their bags or a children's play area to keep their cranky kids engaged. We are a small property and do not have space to provide these services. We do not advertise these either. But then the guest vents their frustration in the reviews by making up reasons. A guest recently appreciated our property, the cleanliness and the amenities, but said the house is located in a "slum". This is just because a few houses in the neighborhood look different in this hill-town as compared to what you would find in larger cities. This review was then used by AirBnB to assign the Bottom 10% tag to us. There's nothing we can do about this kind of stuff, other than moving to some less stricter booking platform.