5 day cancellation policy.

Answered!
Angela2767
Level 2
Nelson Bay, Australia

5 day cancellation policy.

I have a guest who wants to change and move back 2 weeks, their reservation within the 5 day cancellation policy. If I agree, can they then cancel the new date with no penalty?

This is 4 days out on a peak season Christmas booking, How can I protect myself? 

Do the original 5 day terms still apply and carry forward should they now cancel the new date outside the 5 day policy?

Seems to be a bit of a neat trick to get out of 5 day cancellation policy.

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Angela2767 

You can protect yourself by:

- Not accepting the reservation change (there is no obligation to do so)

Or

- Message the guest the change is only possible in combination with a more strict cancellation policy.

Then change the cancellation policy on the listing to "strict" and sent the guest a reservation change request (new policy will be attached)

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/50/modifying-a-reservation-as-a-host

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Angela2767 Yes if the reservation is rescheduled outside your cancellation policy guest can then cancel penalty free. To make it worse they will likely wait a week so not only were the original dates not availble for other guest to book, but now more dates will be blocked off until guest cancels those. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Angela2767 

You can protect yourself by:

- Not accepting the reservation change (there is no obligation to do so)

Or

- Message the guest the change is only possible in combination with a more strict cancellation policy.

Then change the cancellation policy on the listing to "strict" and sent the guest a reservation change request (new policy will be attached)

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/50/modifying-a-reservation-as-a-host

What a great solution all round. Thank you.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Angela2767 Don't waste time even thinking about it, just decline the change request. You're under no obligation to accept. Even if there is no risk of the cancellation loophole, if moving a booking leaves you with abandoned dates that you're unlikely to refill, you lose.