Advertising on the Community Centre.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Advertising on the Community Centre.

I am becoming quite concerned about the amount of advertising that is creeping into the Community Centre boards.

Just on this first page of Community Cafe there are currently two posts which are simply blatant advertising.

There has always been a policy to keep the CC free from advertising. It's not that I/we have anything against what these contributors are offering, and I am sure we would wish them every success. 

The problem is, where do your stop......the CC is seen as a considerable advertising magnet and if you allow one you have to allow another and then another until the whole community gets bogged down with ad after ad.

As a community we are here to help solve each others issue and support each other, we have to hold firm to our original principals and I request that the CC admin staff  keep an eye on these boards and remove any ad posts that pop up as they appear.

Cheers........Rob

@Quincy @Rebecca @Bhumika @Paula @Breanna @Sophia 

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Robin4 I reported the two I think you are talking about - Neither even seemed remotely relevant to Airbnbs even if advertising was allowed. 

I have some sympathy where folks are adverting their co-hosting services or cleaning services and perhaps there should be a section where individuals can do this. I agree though we don't want to become Facebook Marketplace.

@Robin4   Good morning, Robin, I just had my breakfast and checked my emails, many of which are from the Community Center. I don't want to miss anything I want to respond to, so I take time to check each email, I am now very concerned about all the advertising that is allowed on this platform. I was about to reply to SKI328 advertising vacuum cleaners, but saw your post, and I'm so happy to see that you too are addressing the same issue.

I hope Aibnb puts a stop to any kind of advertising. I thought the Community Center was a place for hosts to exchange ideas and offer support, but it is becoming a worldwide market place, and I'm not in favor of it!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Robin4,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and concerns (and also for tagging me). 

We understand and share your commitment to maintaining the Community Center as free as possible from advertising, as we have been trying to do for many years.

If you notice any further advertising posts, please do report them using our "Report inappropriate content" function, and our team will be sure to look into them. We do our best to ensure that the Community Centre remains a valuable resource for all members.

Thank you,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

One of the reasons this happens @Quincy  is because 

a) one of your forums has a title 'help with your business' this implies its for anyone wanting to promote their business. I did suggest you changed this to make it clear it was referring to 'help with your STR business' or 'help with your Airbnb business

b) you could post the community guidelines clearly showing advertising isn't allowed at the top of each discussion forum - again something I have suggested that hasn't been taken up

Putting in place these two simple changes would help make a difference 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you again for the feedback @Helen3. I can remember you having mentioned similar points before, which we've actually raised with the team. I will give them a nudge about this. 

-----

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Quincy  I know you guys try to protect the integrity of the CC but, with all you have to deal with you need the odd prompt every now and then!

Mate, I need another partner in the Huskisson Triathlon  next year, This could be the opportunity you need to spread your wings  and see a bit of the world. I have a great bike here for you and our cottage is at your disposal, I can guarantee you a great trip......give it some thought hey!! 

Cheers......Rob.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Robin4, hope all is well! We actually have a spam filter (as most communities have) in place which, thankfully, catches a great majority of ads/spam, but sometimes some of them manage to slip through. 

Re: the Huskisson Triathlon, this sounds great! Will send you a DM to request more info! 

-----