Adviced needed on Quebec new rules

Margarita368
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Adviced needed on Quebec new rules

Hello to the Community, would like orientation regarding the new rules in Quebec, meaning Attestation de classification, how is exactly the process and what should I do to reopen with the documents needed. What changes  do I need to post in my listing, if any?

Also heard an inspector will come to visit the apt? Need guidance with the process...Any host that already went through all this able to explain me? Thank you!!.

16 Replies 16
Audrey619
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Hi, I'd be happy to get your experience also, particularly if it is your primary residence.  I just received a $3,700 fine for "listing";  Anyone else received a fine?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Did you look at the information on Airbnb's website and your local government information on STR regulations before setting up your listing? @Audrey619 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/878/montr%C3%A9al

Hi, I would also like to get more information about this. I got a paper from a revenue quebec  for $ 3750. But I stopped accept guests since February 2020. I remember that AIRNB informed us in november by email that the new rules will come into effect from February. Therefore, I did not think that I was breaking something. And now I'm at a loss.

Hi, Audrey. I got a cease and desist letter from Revenu Quebec but no fine. I had not rented for months when I received the letter so I was very surprised. Perhaps the provincial letter government put agents out to scour the site in order to send out fines and letters. I own my condo and was rejected twice for the attestation touristique because of zoning. I find it really unfair-I own my home, reside in it full time and my neighbors have authorized me to rent.  I don’t understand why some Montrealers are allowed to rent in their primary residence but not others. We all pay city taxes after all...

My husband and I just received the same fine. $3,700 EACH!

Now I'm worried to get one from the municipality.

Hello, just wondering what you did with that? Did you plead guilty or not?

thx

Lenka

Hello, my wife and I also received a fine of 3750$. What did you do? Did you plead guilty or not?

thx for any infos

Lenka

Hi @Audrey619, did you plead guilty, I just get the fine today and I don't know what to do, this is crazy

Karine201
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Hi @Audrey619   , @Shane381  and @Sergey1 

I just received a fine for listing in last August. Is there a way to be non-guilty and not pay that fine? How to prove 7 months later? In that period, I was waiting for the municipality to review the zoning allowed (they would allow more zones that the urbanist told me) but everything was stopped because of COVID. The only thing the urbanist was able to answer was :calll back in 2-3 months to see if there will be changes... if I declare Guilty,  I read on CITQ website that I cannot  get a CiTQ licence for the next 3 years 😞

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Surely if you haven't been listing they can't fine you @Karine201 

Have you asked them what proof they have that you were hosting then?

Hello, the fine is for listing, not hosting!

Nando11
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

I have been hosting all along and may have to pay the fine, we'll see...

Hi there everyone!  So, listing in Montreal is very complicated.  My area has a list of boroughs and they tell you if it's possible.  My area was not on the list and I communicated with the permit office and all they did was send me a bylaw that makes no sense.  I reiterated that my area was not on the list and the repeated to send me the same quoted bylaw again.  So, if you list for 31 days minimum then you do not need a permit,  It is not considered a short stay at this point.  Anything under that is considered a short stay and must have a permit unless.... it is your primary residence and you live in the unit as well.  I will not risk the fine, seeing as you cannot proceed to get the CITQ permit unless you get the City of Montreal permit.  I tried calling the CITQ, no one answers.  When you email them, they just quote useless information.  So, I'm done with anything under 31 days due to this,   NOT worth the fines!  I'm sad to say..... : (,,,,

@Manuela986 I’m also listing my first ever unit on Airbnb for 32 days minimum due to these absurd rules and regulations. I am a little hesitant about it though because I’m not sure how popular monthly bookings are here and what kind of occupancy  rate should I except. If you have been hosting 32 days minimum stays in Montreal then I would love to get your insights about the potential and profitability  of such stays in Montreal.