Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

AirBnb are making it harder to take care of your property

Katie601
Level 2
Daphne, AL

AirBnb are making it harder to take care of your property

My AC is about to give out. We have it on life support, but expect it to fail any day. Now, I’m order to cancel a guest and have it replaced (it’s 100 degrees F outside) I have to provide documentation BEFORE of the service. This is impossible. The AC company doesn’t understand the request, won’t do it, and now the days are ticking off and I’ll most likely have to cancel on someone very last minute. So my only choice is to cancel on this guest and be penalized by airBnb, who are starting to feel like overlords rather than business partners, or not take care of my home, or forge a document that the AC company refuses to provide. It’s absurd. I am so disappointed in airBnb. PLEASE make it easier for us to take care of our homes. I have NEVER cancelled on a guest in two years being a host - can’t they see my record and let me do so once so that I can take care of my private property without penalty?

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry I don't quite understand the issue. Why can't your air-conditioning company provide you with email confirmation that you have booked them in to undertake the work?

When I had an emergency which meant I had to make a last minute cancellation with a guest, Airbnb were happy for me to supply the invoice from the repair company as evidence of emergency work being undertaken.

Good luck.

Katie601
Level 2
Daphne, AL

Well that must be nice - my AC company says they can’t supply me an invoice until after the work is done. The scope of the project is too big for them to know all the details of cost etc, so they won’t invoice me until it’s complete. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Katie601   My personal experience is similar to @Helen3 when I opted to replace my AC system.  It is a big deal as like you I live in a very hot area (the desert).  I wonder if you have any choice about AC companies, but perhaps that might be a choice.  I am not clear why Air BNB is involved unless a guest complained and given the heat issue needed to protect the next guest from experiencing the problem if you were not able to get the new AC system.  Otherwise how would they even know?  Sorry if I am being dense.

Katie601
Level 2
Daphne, AL

Ok. So I was able to kind of “prop up” the AC with some antifreeze and basically, duct tape.....it’s a mess that won’t last long. I contacted airBnb about 10 days ago saying when I would be able to get it serviced, and that I would have to cancel this guest but because it was necessary and unavoidable, what should I do. They asked me to get an invoice and of course, as I have said, the company was VERY confused by that. “You need an invoice for services not completed?” Etc.....I really can’t use a different company as I’m contracted with these people for annual maintenance and repair. It’s all just exhausting. I want to be able to cancel the people, get the thing replaced, THEN send airBnb the invoice. But having to do it all before is hard as time is running short and the AC company isn’t really being helpful about it

@Katie601  Ask them to give you an estimate in writing that includes the date the work is scheduled, maybe this will be okay for airbnb.  

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry I am still really confused @Katie601  why are Airbnb asking for an invoice BEFORE work is carried out, surely they only need it when you submit the claim to cancel the guest under EC.

Why would you need to submit anything before. If you need confirmation of the job, any tradesperson will be able to provide you with confirmation of their appointment and an outline estimate.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I understand better the situation.  I would notify the guest of the problem and the steps you are taking.  Call Air BNB about the situation again, noting that unless the proof is provided, the host penalties will remain.  Then get the work done under your service contract and submit the required proof.  I had to do that when I fell ill and needed to cancel a guest (share home listing).  The penalty review appeared until I supplied the doctor's note with proof of illness.  No other penalties either.

Vicky383
Level 3
Hamburg, Germany

From Airbnb's point of view, they want to know you are really having someone to service the AC. Why would they otherwise care about the invoice. The AC company can confirm with you about the service and later you can submit the receipt to Airbnb. Ask Airbnb if that would work with them.

Sounds like you really don't want to break your track record of no cancellations. Perhaps you can be honest with the guests and see if there is something you can work out with them. Giving discount, hire portable AC, or other things.