Airbnb Local relationships

Answered!
Laura2714
Level 9
Cottonwood, AZ

Airbnb Local relationships

What you can do as a host to help Airbnb public relations.

I personally let local businesses know that I recommend there businesses and that other hosts do too.

Today I spoke to local pizzeria owner, Vinny. I said,

“I have been personally recommending your pizza place in Airbnb to my guests for 4 years.”

He thanked me.

I said, “there are 10 other local hosts that recommend your pizzeria on Airbnb.”

He smiled, and engaged me in a conversation about Airbnb. He also told me the secret of his pizza was the handmade dough.

I told him, “yeah if you know anyone else with an Airbnb ask them to recommend your place in the Airbnb app under recommendations.”

I turned a local business owner into a supporter of Airbnb.

I recommend his business and he will recommend my business. 

1 Best Answer

Sales is all about storytelling. 

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Laura2714
Level 9
Cottonwood, AZ

Vinny is from New Jersey.

I’ve set my guidebook to about 1000 guests with Vinny’s as a recommendation. 
Their are 10 other hosts that recommend Vinny’s sport bar pizzeria.

That is potentially 10,000 people who have received a personal recommendation from a local to go to Vinny’s.

A small business owner in a small town, Will remember that when the issue of Airbnb comes before the city council.

If Airbnb could use their magical algorithms to tell Vinny how many personal recommendations hosts have given him.

I know we could count in his support at the next city council meeting about Airbnb. 

He understands the value of face to face recommendations. Also, the value of making his own dough from scratch, every morning. 

He will also tell his friend, local businessman from New York, ‘Crazy Tony’ (that’s his name and what he prefers to be called)

He’ll say when Crazy Tony walks in to watch the Yankees.

”Those Airbnb hosts have me 10,000 personal recommendations…”

Crazy Tony will say,

”how much did that cost you Vinny”

Vinny will say,

“Free Advertising, Tony ….that Airbnb is a Thing.”

Crazy Tony is on the City Council.

Is Airbnb reaching out to Vinny or Crazy Tony about how Airbnb Superhosts, support local businesses?

It seems to me that if Airbnb wants to win these local political battles. We need allies. We need the local small business owners to speak to the city councils (by whatever name) on our behalf. If we go to the city council as Airbnb hosts that is one thing. But, if the small local business owners go to the city council and advocate FOR Airbnb that would be a win.

#1: Airbnb hosts need to go to the business they recommend and let them know that they as representatives of Airbnb are supporting their business. This opens up an opportunity to have a face-to-face educational moment with a local business owner as a local business owner.

#2: Airbnb corporate needs to send a thank you letter. Yes, paper letter to local business owners in areas with political struggles that gives the business owners a real number in what we are doing for there individuals small businesses. Using the algorithms Airbnb can tell small local businesses exactly:

* how many people their business had been recommend to personally. A personal local recommendation.

* how much each of those recommendations is worth in real advertising dollars. 

example:

Congratulations, Vinnie.

Your Sports Bar/911 tribute pizzeria has been recommended by 10 Airbnb hosts as the best pizza place in Cottonwood, Arizona. Those hosts have recommended your small local businesses to 1000 hungry travelers. 

Vinnie the local Superhost have given your business 1 million dollars of FREE Advertising.

Thank you for serving the guest of Airbnb your delicious homemade dough.

Don’t mention politics or the Mets. 

Airbnb's local relationships have created a problem for some cities and towns, as their decision to allow short-term rentals has disrupted local rental markets, decreased the availability of affordable housing, and has caused an increase in rents. The proliferation of Airbnb rentals has also caused a disruption in the housing market, leading to a decrease ** in the number of available long-term rentals and an increase in short-term rentals. This has made it more difficult for local residents to find affordable housing, resulting in an increase in homelessness, displacement, and gentrification in some areas.

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]**

Airbnb liked sending gifts. They could send the recommended community business a sticker. 
People absolutely love stickers. They put them on the window buy the front door.

This would visually show the local business support for Airbnb.

When I was young I collected stickers. Stickers are cool. And, cool business collect stickers and show them off by the entrance to the business. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Laura2714, what a great story to hear! I see you've shared some great ideas here too 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Sales is all about storytelling. 

Honestly, I sent Vinnie and blast email with great graphics & a link to a Wiki site with great stats on his business. 
Vinny had read a bunch of bad press on Airbnb & misinformation from Crazy Tony.

Vinny hit “spam” on the blast email. And, never reads it. I continue to send him amazing email that go straight to his spam box for months. 

It’s just not great storytelling. 

It’s the Art of Storytelling.

Hello Laura,

That's a great idea to help with Airbnb's public relations! Building strong relationships with local businesses can benefit both parties, as you have demonstrated.

By recommending local businesses to your guests and encouraging them to do the same, you not only support the local economy but also promote a positive image of Airbnb.

It's also great that you were able to engage in a conversation with the pizzeria owner about Airbnb, which can help to dispel any negative stereotypes or misconceptions. Keep up the good work!

Best Regards

Olivia devid

The approach you described in fostering as an Airbnb host can be closely aligned with principles from life and relationship coaching. Here’s how:

Building Trust and Connection

Much like how life coaches build trust with their clients, engaging with local business owners builds a sense of community and mutual support. By recommending Vinny’s pizzeria, you established a trust-based relationship, which is crucial for any successful collaboration.

Mutual Support and Reciprocity

In life and relationship coaching, mutual support is key to achieving goals. By recommending Vinny’s pizzeria and encouraging other hosts to do the same, you created a network of support. This reciprocity, where Vinny may also recommend your Airbnb, reflects the give-and-take dynamic vital in coaching relationships.

Communication and Engagement For more detail below **

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.