Airbnb Superhost

Pam5
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Malindi, Kenya

Airbnb Superhost

Whatever you nurture growsWhatever you nurture grows.                                            Its a rainy morning here and this gif just triggered some positivity in me.

Whatever you nurture grows whether its in business, relationship, kindness.....eventually it will grow and the results are so rewarding.

#Happyhosting #airbnbsuperhost #airbnbhost 

PamG
1 Reply 1
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Pam5 as you have mentioned, a buisness will blossom and grow if it is nurtured. For me, I asked myself before I started hosting was, how am I going to achieve a reliable postive outcome in this new adventure?

First of all, I set out a buisness plan that I could possibley achieve. I looked at what I had to offer? What I needed? What local rules to abide by? What Airbnb requires? What type of guests will be attracted to a beach side cottage? How long will it take before I go online?

After addressing this list, I reflected on our experiences of staying in Airbnb's and made a list of the positives and negatives of the homes that we had stayed in. 

It was time to start, first of all I had a dream and was positive that it was going to work. We had a small cottage that we built for us to use whilst we renovated our main dwelling. It was time to move and the cottage sat vacant for 3 months and I set about collecting items to furnish it. This was through purchasing new, secondhand and recycled items for each room and area to be used. Trying to keep it simple with comfortable furnishings and kitchen equipment, linen and a decorative beach side theme.

Next, was looking at what Airbnb required, taking photos and writing a description of your accommodation being offered and giving your property a name, setting our rules, reading Airbnb rules, our identity being checked and banking details, ticking boxes of what you have and don't have and lots more.

Next it was time to start looking at local govrnment rules and at the same time the state government had bought out new rules for registration for STR 's. Which they were enforcing with uniform safety standards for fire and environmental situations that could occur in your local area. These emergency signs had to be drawn up and set in the appropriate rooms or areas, extra fire alarms had to installed and tested.

After this was it was looking at our location and what guests would want or like to use in our beachside cottage.

This was the beginning, and the seed had been planted and was starting to grow. Shoots were appearing when bookings started to come in. This is where the nurturing came into play with being here to greet our guests and make them welcome. I feel this breaks down any barriers that might occur and we offer them a breakfast hamper as a welcome gift and then showing them through the cottage. This to me is the beginnining of positive relationship between both parties has started. Sometimes I feel you have to give a little to receive a little.

My reward has been positive reviews, rebookings, word of mouth to friends and relatives. Our buisness is continued to be nurtured by reviewing what needs replacing, repaired and updating items, prices and reviews. 

Lastly, I am still positive and I say if there are any warning signs that I am not enjoying hosting it is time to take a break or stop altogether.