Airbnb - are you embarrassed yet???

Brenda328
Level 10
South Dakota, United States

Airbnb - are you embarrassed yet???

This, in part, is an AIrbnb message that I just received from a potential 'guest'.  I have removed the guest's name and location to avoid the public humiliation that they are actually due.

Hello! My name is 'First Name' 'Last Name' I’m a teacher in 'State'. My family is flying out tomorrow to Orlando. The resort that we were staying at is offering me is offering me a full refund if I want to cancel. Our other resorts house does not have a private pool. We are checking into our options. We will be staying two weeks and possibly more if there is a quarantine. Is there anyway we can get it a better deal on the price? Please let us know ASAP so that we can plan accordingly. Thank you, 'First Name' 'Last Name'

This was within less than an hour after I reduced my price over 60% to try to recoup some of my losses.  No, entitled guest, I will not offer you a better deal and since I have already fortunately turned off Instant Booking, I will not be accepting your reservation under any circumstances. 

The 'resort that you were staying at' is not offering you a full refund;  Airbnb is offering you a full refund of money that host is rightfully entitled to.  I know some other host right now will take your offer because we all have to eat, but I won't be a willing participant in shafting a host who in good faith allowed you to reserve their home months ago and now will receive $0 from you (when you are scheduled to arrive tomorrow) so that you can upgrade to a nicer home with a private pool for less money.

56 Replies 56

AirBnB is just inviting us to break up with them & prioritize new/other relationships.  They are behaving like a dishonest, soon-to-be ex that thinks you need them  more than they need you...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Wow. @Brenda328 good for you. It's heartening to see hosts having each others' backs.

Unfortunately, a lot of people will jump at the chance to save money, even if it is to the detriment of others, if temptation is put in their way. Even if deep down they know it's wrong, they will find a way to justify it to themselves.

Luckily, there are some decent guests still out there. Here's a message I received yesterday:

Hi Huma,

Sorry for the late response.
Of course I understand! Tomorrow I will cancel my reservation. I Wouldn't want you to lose your status as a Superhost (especially not for a year).  I understand that you have to follow the Airbnb rules. Also, I understand that it is a super hard time for everybody who's depends  (partially) on tourism for their income in these uncertain days. I really appreciate the offer of a possible refund in the case you might be able to rent the room (but I would also understand if you can't)  I will check with my school and also try to organize a possible refund with Airbnb.

Keep safe and all the best to you!!

Kind regards,

J

(ps. hope to meet you and stay at your house somewhere in the future! You, your house and your cat seemed so so lovely, and I'm truly disappointed I won't be able to go)

Raymond178
Level 4
Wellington, New Zealand

Appreciative, understanding guest. Sadly, many of guests consider Airbnb hosts to be making money at their expense, which is often not the case.  I often go above and beyond for appreciative guests, more than I perhaps should but feel they deserve it.  Sadly, in times like this most people will be looking after themselves first (understandable) and not consider how it impacts others.  My position has been there's a cancellation policy that guests accept, and we all take risks, so must accept the unknowns.  It would be better to have the option of offering a travel credit or rebook for a later date (non-refundable) as airlines offer.  I have had some interesting, most patronising messages, and others come up with all sorts of excuses to justify their right to a refund. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Unfortunately, Airbnb has also sabotaged this guest's cancellation. They have charged the guest accommodation fees, but at the same time sent me a message saying they will issue zero payout for the cancellation because they could not collect money from the guest. They are also telling her they will reimburse her the Airbnb fees as a voucher, not a refund!

janna.jpgjanna2.jpg

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

By the way, I received absolutely no previous communication from Airbnb about them not being able to collect money from the guest. The guest has received no communication about them not being able to collect funds from her.

I know you are probably not listening Airbnb, but please explain this. You are stealing money from the guest and putting it into your own coffers, whilst still leaving the hosts under that bus you threw them under.

I am not being dramatic here, but I feel there has to be some comeback. I am starting to see very clearly that this is the end of Airbnb. That is why they are money grabbing in this crisis. Trying to recover whatever they can as their ship sinks...

Thomas977
Level 10
Tønsberg, Norway

Message to Airbnb management: I expect, demand and plan on the basis that Airbnb will honor the current Covid-19 policy !!! :

«The host’s cancellation policy will apply as usual to reservations made after March 14, 2020, and to reservations made on or before March 14, 2020 with check-in dates after April 14, 2020.»

They're not honouring it. Airbnb have been giving refunds to guests outside of that period and will no doubt it extend it further into the future.  You can expect to see further cancellations and refunds, Airbnb just have not announced it to us and are keeping it secret.  I am yet to see all the wonderful assistance to hosts that's been promised.  @Thomas977

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Raymond178 @They have not announced it to us but they are telling guests quite freely to hold off their cancellations because likely they will extend it. Why not tell the host? There’s no transparency here...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I just realised this tonight when a guest told me that is what they advised her to do. For some reason, she thinks I will get all my money back from Airbnb anyway. Yeah, sure I will. When he’ll freezes over!

My neighbor, who uses Airbnb a lot, says she was under the impression that hosts get fully reimbursed by Airbnb for these cancellations.    In fact, when I tried to explain it to her, I could tell she didn't believe me, at first. 

I directed her to come and read the postings here in CC. 

@Michelle53 

Well, the CC will surely be an eye-opener for her!! 

Most guests are actually labouring under the misconception that Airbnb is doing their reimbursing too, courtesy of their global press releases, disingenuously stating, "...the company will refund.. "

@Susan17  She was also under the impression that the host she was trying to cancel was "sitting on her money, earning interest".        I had to explain the host payment system, too. 

@Michelle53 

Of course she does! How would it be any other way when Airbnb goes to great lengths to promote such false impressions? 

@Michelle53 Yeah, there was another post today by a guest who booked in July and is now trying to cancel an upcoming booking and said that the host has had her money since July.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I think that if a guest cancels with Airbnb because of coronavirus concerns and gets a full refund, he/she should not be able to rebook anything for the same dates.  This would be easy enough to implement in software.