Airbnb not respecting cancellation policy, is this normal?

Adib16
Level 2
Rabat, Morocco

Airbnb not respecting cancellation policy, is this normal?

Hi hosts, i have a question.

i had a long term reservation(87days) that has been cancelled.
By referring to airbnb policies: i should be paid for 30 nights, but airbnb just told me that the guest didn't pay so there is nothing they can do for me. Here is the reservation informations:

Reservation date: Sun 23 May 2021
Cancellation date: August 23 (8 days before arrival date)
Arrival: Wed, Sep 1, 2021
Departure: Sat, Nov 27, 2021

So basically, i end up wit 0 reservation for the next 3 months since my calendar was blocked, and airbnb refuse to honor their own policies. I mean it was their job to charge the guest in advance, otherwise the guest will simply block her credit card and they will be fine! do you think this is normal? has anyone had the same experience? Thank you!

241485879_1738873169834985_8105871287642225524_n.jpg
Screenshot from 2021-09-07 19-52-22.png

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Adib16 Yep - thats how it works I am afraid. I have said it many times and will say it again here - Airbnb is just not suitable for long term stays because they only collect the 2nd months rent at the end of the first month and they do not charge a security deposit.

@Mike-And-Jane0 what about the first month? Because the refund is about the first* 30 days.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Adib16 Wow - That is either taking Airbnb incompetence to a whole new level OR their long term stay offering is even more flawed that I thought. Often you will get cancellations a few days after a booking is made when Airbnb find they cannot get the money but 3 months is really stupid.

Your only hope is that the guest paid 50% up front and then failed to pay the 2nd tranche but don't hold your breath for any payout from Airbnb.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Adib16 @Mike-And-Jane0 

I don’t get it.

I thought credit card transactions could be confirmed instantly.

Possibly the credit card was stolen? Or the guest somehow managed to get the charges reversed?