Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Airbnb using credit card for false transactio

Petr830
Level 1
Hlavní město Praha, Czechia

Airbnb using credit card for false transactio

My credit card was used by airbnb for a transaction that I never made. The customer care rep 'Jhon' just sent an standard email saying my friends and family has used it. They refuse to give the name on the account where this booking was made. Noone has my credit card details.

Did anyone else had been victim of this scam? Its such a shameless little scam airbnb is running to steal money

8 Replies 8
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Petr830 

Just dispute the charge with your credit card company. They will close that account and issue you a new card.

You should do this immediately.

This sort of thing happens all the time. Store clerks and other thieves write down the information and sell it.

I assume that Airbnb will have to eat the loss, although they might pass it on to the host.

PLEASE: your personal information is compromised and if you don’t cancel that card you might become liable for the fraudulent charges that have yet to be made.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Brian2036 Airbnb are VERY clear in their T&Cs - If they are not paid the host is not paid. Sadly, in cases like this, if a reservation is made with stolen card details and the stay goes ahead before the cardholder initiates a chargeback then the host has hosted for nothing.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Thanks for that. I suspected as much.

If this sort of thing is becoming common it’s a good reason not to accept last-minute bookings.

The banks here are very secretive about what they do about credit card fraud. I suspect that they don’t do much of anything to hold the perpetrators responsible.

The problem is enormous but apparently the banks’ profits are even more astounding so they ignore it.

Petr830
Level 1

I already cancelled my card. But bank will not refund the money as it was a real transaction made by airbnb. And Airbnb refused to help me saying someone else used it. It is impossible as it's a new card and I didn't give anyone my card details. 

It's unacceptable that such a big company will be involved in fraudulent activities. Either airbnb is stealing money or their IT system is so poor someone else is stealing our card information

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Petr830 Your credit card wasn't used by Airbnb to make a booking. Someone somehow accessed your credit card info and used it to make a booking on Airbnb.

Petr830
Level 1

Airbnb accepts that they charged the card, but just send an automatic email saying someone else used your card. This is totally unacceptable.

DONT PUT YOUR CARD IN AIRBNB

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Petr830 

It’s common for thieves to use stolen credit or debit card numbers to make small purchases on eBay, Netflix, Amazon or similar platforms in order to verify that the card is valid.

This has happened to us several times in Panama and once in the US. The bank reversed the charges every time but refused to reveal the perpetrators.

I’ve never heard of Airbnb being used for this purpose but maybe it’s becoming a new thing.

If you hadn’t noticed this fraudulent charge the next step may be for the thief to send himself cash through Western Union.

If you hand your card to a cashier and moments later you see them scribbling away on a scrap of paper they may be stealing your information.

It’s best never to allow your card out of your sight.

Petr830
Level 1

If you google airbnb community, many people has gone through this. Generally amount is not so big that you can file a police complaint. That's the game. Small amounts from many people, not sure who is responsible but your card information is being stolen from airbnb