Allowing guests to cancel booking under a strict cancellation policy-adverse consequences?

Answered!

Allowing guests to cancel booking under a strict cancellation policy-adverse consequences?

Looking for advice on whether there are any adverse consequences for rejecting a guest's request to cancel two weeks after a booking made under strict cancellation policy? They dont want a new date (which I was happy to apply a credit towards), just a full refund and then (maybe) they will come back later on. Its in 4 weeks time, a holiday long weekend and mid school holiday spring break but bookings have been slow to emerge after winter as all aussie travellers are overseas I think. Also guest has only one previous review (and this booking is for a group) so I thought I was taking more than enough risk. I had communicated 48 hours to cancel free at beginning and need to accept all terms incl house rules (my standard first message I now use which I got from this excellent forum). Anyway after getting no where with me they have gone to Airbnb (which I had also suggested) who have asked me to reiterate whether I can host them or not. I said yes I can. Is this the end of it? The only other time this happened where the guest was unable to provide new dates they took the financial hit and my dates were blocked. Am I correct in assuming that the dates will remain blocked as she has rejected my offer to reschedule? I am worried although its a 3 night booking they could still ask for their money back after turning up or something else?. If I decide she is probably trouble and I cancel the booking, do you think Airbnb will allow my first (ever) host cancellation without punity? I am a relatively new host so the SH status was hard to earn after a troublesome guest booking early on.

Top Answer

Here's what I do.  Tell the guest that you would really like to work with them.  Your cancellation policy will apply, but if you are able to re-book the dates, you'll gladly refund them, minus any service fees.  The sooner they cancel (do NOT cancel for them... make the guest cancel it!), the better their chances of those dates becoming re-booked.  (Once they cancel, your dates will automatically open up.) Keep in mind, your strict cancellation policy is there for a reason, it is what it is, and they agreed to it.  You don't owe them anything, you're doing this to be nice.  (You don't need to say that to them, just keep it mind.)  Let them know that you will gladly refund them for all days booked minus service fees once you get their payout from Airbnb... typically about 5-7 days after they would have stayed.  And that you would really love the opportunity to host them in the future.  

18 Replies 18
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Frances3408 Be aware that if you offer a different time then the guest can cancel that booking within the new cancellation time frame and receive a full refund . Do not offer to change the dates and do not send a refund or cancle . Let the guest absorb the refund with the penalty and after you receive this money you can offer a personal refund or another date at a discounted price. h

Thanks @Helen744  and yes thats exactly what I'm going to do based on the excellent advice here. Thought I was the only one thinking she could wriggle out of a future booking that way 😉 My calendars are blocked after end of Jan anyway so I can do a price and demand reset so for now there's not a lot of booking choices.

@Frances3408 The guests voluntarily agreed to your cancellation policy when they booked, so you really don't have to feel bad just because they feel entitled to something different. You can always make exceptions if you believe these are really great guests whose business will be valuable to you later on. But you know what? They aren't. They really, really aren't. Just say no. 

Thanks @Anonymous . Have spent the weekend thinking about this after the deadline I gave them lapsed without any further communication from them and second guessing if my messages were clear enough!. I was very good at saying no in my former profession so I need to remember that.