Alteration request

Nigel57
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Alteration request

Hello , i think its unfair that Airbnb pass the buck of reservations alteration to the host.

If we are able to set the cancellation policy, why are you allowing guest to make alteration request? If we deny their request, they'll be unhappy. And they might leave us unfavorable reviews. They might leave reviews out of spite. They might just make up a story in the review and give host negative review.

I think all alteration or refund that's initiated by guest should be handled by Airbnb. Its unfair that you put us in a difficult position involving money. Money is a sensitive matter. If we do not refund guest or fulfill guest reqyest that's related to money, im pretty sure they'll be unhappy. Some guest are fine. Some are not.

Case in point, the message below is by one of our guest when we deny their alteration request on the day they checked in.

" I understood, however according to Airbnb they say that "If anything unexpected comes up during your stay, we recommend messaging your Host to discuss a solution first." It's possible if both parties agree on a solution in the resolution center. Please let me know if this is something you'd be open to. "

Do you see every single messaging you display for guest, youre passing the buck to us? And if we deny, we get bad review. I strongly think that Aribnb rep should be handling alteration request. Or alteration request should be in line with CANCELLATION POLICY that you have allowed us to set.

End of rant. ( I am getting 3 or more alteration request per week and its really frustrating that Airbnb is allowing guest to alter reservations making my life difficult and stressful to deal with the guest or their potential unhappiness and the bad review that will ensue )

1 Reply 1
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Nigel57 the alteration request is a tool you yourself can use , to extend a guests stay or shorten it if you wish or need to , as determined between you and the gust so learn the regulations and use it to your benefit . it is a request only . Some guests disregard your cancellation policy or double book and cherry pick. they fail to realise that we are not hotels and even though we have extra rooms they are not rented separately , nor do we have multiple properties, mostly . some hosts do , of course and may be able to accomodate people more easily , but if you are already booked on either end of the stay then it is not changeable , and you simply need to politely tell the guest so . That is hosting .If it is not an issue for you , then you can send an alteration , but be careful , never send a refund , ever . Let the alteration do that . there is a scam at the moment and maybe you are being targeted . some people are just trying to get money back for reasons of their own . just go on your merry way . If you want to keep your strict policy then just remind the guest when you message that cancellations may attract fees. but these are not generally cancellations but adding and extra day or turning up a day later .I guess it is designed to get around cancellation fees . I use a flexible policy so realistically people can cancel up to the day before and that is usually when people will ask to change days . all the best . you can do this . at least you have bookings . Lucky you H