Anti Russian Propaganda Blitz

Danny435
Level 2
Regina, Canada

Anti Russian Propaganda Blitz

While I commend Airbnb for closing it's services to Russia over the invasion into Ukraine, and applaud the 1000's of hosts who have opened their Airbnb's to Ukrainian refugees. I'd love to see  Airbnb open Russian listings up for a short period of time so the Airbnb community, in a coordinated effort, can blitz hosts with facts about the Ukraine invasion to counter the Russian propaganda. I don't know if this is logistically possible on the internet given Russia's crackdown on information,  but possibly by telephone.....

5 Replies 5
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Danny435  To be honest, I struggle a bit with this.  Many Russian citizens do not support Putins actions at all, and although on a completely different level to the Ukraine they are also suffering due to all the Sanctions placed on their country.  Imagine for one moment that you are in the position of not being able to voice your opinion without fear of arrest.  At the moment, sanctions and withdrawal of services are a way of applying pressure to Putin.  Amongst these many sanctions, payments by use of google pay, Apple Pay, PayPal, MasterCard, Visa etc etc amongst many others have now been halted within Russia.  Generally speaking, only internal payment within Russia is available either in cash or by using Russian Banks.  I think it would be impossible for Airbnb to operate there, even if they wanted to, under these circumstances 

@Kate867 @Danny435 @Sarah977

Western sanctions against Russia are totally ineffective.

It is Russian sanctions against Nato and EU countries that are highly effective which is why the Russian Economy will narrowly escape a decline in GDP this year.

The Russian economy will post moderate growth or in the worst case scenario it will post zero growth but it won't decline in any significant way (even a moderate decline in Russian Rubles will be an impressive growth in USD terms as the Russian Ruble is now (after two months of sanctions) at its strongest level of the last four years!

Western economies (especially EU nations and the UK) will all decline by 1.2% to 4% in 2022 according to even the rosiest of prediction (this I write before the inevitable collapse in global equities that I think will happen this summer) along with 15% - 40% inflation for the 'little people'.

The issue is less the economic war between two blocks, more that the West is pursuing a clear anti-Russian agenda with unprecedented crackdowns on freedom of expression, banning of Russian tennis players unless they denounce their government and military, scrapping ballets and opera performances because they were written by Russians in the 19th century and other such ridiculous and draconian acts of insanity.

This is what we witness in the Orwellian nightmare that is unfolding in a Western World that refuses to see the writing of the wall and insists on 800 million 'enlightened' Westerners dictating to 6.7 billion non-western citizens of the globe.

The Western World continues to promote its societies as moral and free (hence effectively above the law as they can't do wrong) despite that past and present experience suggests it is immoral and increasingly authoritarian and anti-democratic.

A free and fair election is a necessary factor in any viable democracy but it is not sufficient of itself if it is complimented with logic defying tyrannical and inhumane policies.

By cutting off all Russian and Belarusian hosts and cancelling bookings from countries that freely visit Russia and also by not compensating all Russian and Belarusian guests who found themselves (both hosts and guests) in a situation entirely out of their control Airbnb exposed itself as yet another typical American Corporate that uses lofty idealism of a global community as a cynical PR tool to increase profits.

Of course Airbnb can't be blamed for withdrawing from Russia and Belarus (it is impossible for an American Corporate to operate their under current circumstances) but it could give a grace period of 2 to 3 months so that both hosts and guests prepare themselves to the new reality without leaving them high and dry.

@Summit-View0 An interesting perspective on the Russian invasion of Ukraine.  Whilst there is a level of propaganda on both sides I am afraid the greater truth lies with Ukraine than Russia. Any sanctioning of Russia and its citizens is fine with me.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Danny435  Airbnb is a booking platform, not social media designed to "blitz" hosts with news information.

@Sarah977 

Airbnb is a booking platform but it is also highly politicised (just like Starbucks and other left wing of the democratic-party cheerleading corporations).