Approval of guests

Answered!
Marie321
Level 2
Malmö, Sweden

Approval of guests

Hi! I have been traveling with airbnb since 2012 and since 2015 been a host. I have a bad feeling now when Airbnb threatens to cut me off because of not approving all guest inquirys. My house is a bit off from the city so procentual I guess I get more non reviewed people then the people in the city. Two times I have pushed my own gut feel and approved guest because off the pressure from airbnb. Both  times went bad and both times there were no one from airbnb backing me up. One of the times I had to work hard for 1 year and 3 months to regain my superhost bagde for only ONE guest. This is my home I have had so many guests now I know when its the right people for the house or not. This is a two way street. The once I say no to will not be happy here either thy are ment somewhere else. This is my home not a place ive bought to make money through airbnb. Is there a way to get back the community feeling with airbnb or do I need to suss out another site to rent out rooms in my home? Its a shame as allot here is so well thought threw and the hole review money process is great! Could there be another division just as there is for fancy homes and work collection? A collection of real homes? Where the guests come not only to sleep but for the experience too? And they will pick a place they like because of the vibe too not only location and price?! I feel I run the airbnb the way I wish others do when I come to them. Stil I get punished by Airbnb. Doesnt feel right. Anybody having the same experience as I do? 

1 Best Answer

@Marie321 Yes, it usually works out 🙂 And hello from just across the bridge 🙂 

6 Replies 6
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Marie321 🙂

When receiving an inquiry (when the guest just asks a question using the "contact host link on the listing") all you have to do is to reply in order to keep your response rate high. Just completely ignore the decline button. 

If you get an actual request and you feel it would be a bad fit - make up some kind of story why you won't be able to host and ask the guest to withdraw the request.

Best, Sandra 

ahhaa I can ask them to withdraw?! I will try that, thank you @Sandra856 !

@Marie321 Yes, it usually works out 🙂 And hello from just across the bridge 🙂 

Hej hej från andra sidan! 🙂 thanks allot for your advice! 

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Marie321 

I've never done this myself, but on these boards a host ( i cant' remember who) shared this strategy when she wanted the guest to cancel/withdraw the request, not her.

She'd say, 

"Also I just have to let you know that in the last few days construction has started on a property near to my listing.  The road is now usually blocked, so you won't be able to park in front any longer, but there are parks only 800m - 1 km away and the hills aren't too steep.  The jackhammers do sometimes start at 6 am, but from your description it sounds like you are early risers anyway, so I don't think that will be a problem for you?  Of course you may still cancel if it doesn't suit, but really I think these will just be minor inconveniences.."

They all cancel/withdraw

Hahaha.. @Rowena29 😄