Are the Standards to be a Superhost too High? And other Thoughts...

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

Are the Standards to be a Superhost too High? And other Thoughts...

I am a Superhost and have been for a long time now. So this is not coming from a sense of bitterness.

But it is coming (I guess) from a sense of stress at having to maintain this standard.

We just got a 3/5 rating as a bathroom had a spider web in it.  Does Airbnb do anything to educate

guests that a 3/5 rating is basically death?  I think not.  Occasionally we all get a 1/5 and yes now we can

dispute that, but 6 years ago when I started, we could not.  Everyone gets the occasional 1/5 if you host long enough and

that can really hurt your ratings!  And hurt your livelihood!

It is a pandemic and we are doing our best to clean to a very high standard.  It is also rainy season in Japan,

so little critters can find their way into guest houses unfortunately.

Airbnb seems like a very caring company.  In my YouTube videos about it, I emphasize that.

We have navigated through a pandemic, my whole family is still alive (at the moment), but having to contend with

extra things like getting a 3/5 rating for a small spider web seems over the top.

What do others think? Is 4.8 reasonable to be a Superhost? Or should it be lower.

Would 4/5 be more realistic, or 4.5?

Would Brian Chesky score a 4.8 as a CEO.  What would you give him? Is he a Super CEO?

I digress, but I think you can see my point.  It is very difficult to be a 4.8 CEO.  It is also very difficult to

be a 4.8 host.  We are 4.9.  ( I say We, because it really is a team effort).

Mr. Chesky,  I would probably give you a 4/5. Because some of the promises you have made over the years, have not

been kept.  "Guests will be required to have a proper profile picture." and things like that.   Brian, one of my guests

had a paper bag over his head as a profile picture.  I also have read many disturbing posts about Airbnb not keeping its promises

of paying hosts for damages.  "Airbnb fights like hell not to pay." - wrote one poster on a Facebook forum for hosts recently.

Airbnb should bend over backwards to help hosts when the shxx hits the fan.  We are the backbone of your company. And yes it 

is your company now, as you made the ruling that we are independent contractors. I felt that decision was a mistake, but I am

not the CEO.

If you are going to hold Superhosts to such high standards, really you should hold yourself to them as well. Or cut hosts

a bit of slack as we cut slack for Airbnb for not being perfect or not keeping its promises at times.

Curious to hear what other hosts think?  I feel at this forum, many people hold back, so it will be interesting to see how honest

others can be on this platform, even though big brother is watching.

51 Replies 51

@Sarah977 @Emilia42 

I have only 13 reviews  although I have more than 13 stays  because few  did not leave me a review.     So my math I think is still correct .   I just checked on my superhost rating  it still says

4.7       End of June is coming up soon for another quarter rating evaluation.     Should I be contacting them  at all   maybe if it still hasn't been updated in a week?

@Jennifer235  Count your reviews again. Like Emily, I count 16 reviews in what will be the previous 365 days, which is what the July 1 assessment will be based on.

I went back to count every reservation and clicked on details to see if indeed they have left a review.   And I found the missing link.  Thank you.

This is very time consuming.   Can you tell me what is the fastest  way to count each guest  star rating  they had indeed  left me?   Thanks.

@Jennifer235 The fastest way is to check your Superhost stats. The computer has already computed the average for you. 

Kate572
Level 2
Ballarat, Australia

I agree 4.8 is a little to high - 4.5 sounds fair, as you don’t want it so low that the majority of properties would then be super hosts and that would take away the vibe of being a super host! I believe the reason why guests get the scoring so wrong is because they are asked to score curtain areas if their stay first, which is perfect! But then at the end they are then asked for an overall score, this is the problem as doing the individual scoring asks them to remember specific things about the stay and that’s good. But the overall score is the only one that matters for the score on us as hosts - let’s say everything in the property was at super host status, but the weather was terrible so the guest marks us low as an overall mark because of the weather! Air Bnb please consider taking off the overall score. We as hosts don’t have an overall score on the guests, please make it fair! 

Sylenka0
Level 2
Warsaw, Poland

Not a super host however also experienced with guest which eg. claims that furnitures are too pod. But what does not make sense to nie is rating location. If you want to visit Alhambra why did you make a reservation in Mexico? Because the place in Mexico was cheaper, right? 

Alison848
Level 1
Neston, United Kingdom

It is impossible for me to reach superhost status. 100 days stay is required......short term rental in Greece is only legally allowable for 90 days pa. 10 stays are required .   As my house attracts a mixture of 7 10 or 14 days stay I usually achieve my 90 days ( non covid years) in 8 to 9 stays.   I have had one bad 1* review in 5 years of hosting which was to do with water infrastructure I can't get rid of it. Lost cause.