August Smart Lock messaging through Airbnb

Denis130
Level 5
Lincoln City, OR

August Smart Lock messaging through Airbnb

In recent past, and possibly pre-covid used to be copied in on August Smart Lock's messaging to guests that invited guests to download their App with their link plus instructions.  That seems to have stopped and guests currently seem to be more puzzled on what to do.  I tried copy/pasting an older August message but the link never took so I now find myself creating instructions and walking guests through the process that August used to perform.

Is there a new method of including August Smart Lock App on Airbnb bookings that I am missing or don't understand how to get them to send guests their link that they used to provide? Did I miss an update on how August and Airbnb will perform together?

P.S. They still seem to have not solved their problem with their App not working on Android phones and I typically have to end up giving a guest a four digit access code to my August Keypad, which I feel is not much better than a key that can be passed around to anyone during their stay.  Am more understanding of the old silver-backs, like me who are technically challenged but when the young'ns start doing it I cringe a bit.

2 Replies 2
Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Denis130,

We started using August locks when we couldn't find Schlage Encode locks (our preference, but they are scarce).  I find that having a keypad gives  guests options just in case they cannot use the app.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

The August Keypad is my back-up to their Smart Lock, and even have an old fashioned key as final back-up (potential power outage), except the key can always be duplicated and used for entry at anytime, since there are no restrictions to making a duplicate key, at a key-making kiosk at entryways to a number of grocers such as Fred Meyer in Oregon.

I chose the August Smart Lock system App because it works through a guest's phone (not a key or keypad which can be potentially shared), and most people will not turn over their Smart-phone or iPhone to anyone, including their boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/partner, which provides me with higher security.