Avoiding the Foreign Transaction Fee

Terrence0
Level 10
Mount Prospect, IL

Avoiding the Foreign Transaction Fee

I have a suggestion for Airbnb.  Currently, they have a very inefficient policy that they pass off onto the traveler.

I have a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees (like many other avid travelers) - my bank covers these fees for me.  Airbnb charges foreign transaction fees to book based on location - in fact, if you are booking and you switch the currency to the local currency of the listing, you will see a 3% lower cost (the foreign transaction fee cost) than if you look at it in another currency.  For my last 2 trips I have attempted to pay in the local currency (for example, if I am travelling to France, I will try to pay in Euros), but Airbnb will not let me do this.  Instead, they force me to pay in US dollars because I live in the US (even though I want to and have tried to pay in Euros), then they take my US dollars, convert them to Euros themselves, charge me a 3% fee (which my bank would have done for me for free!), and then pay the host in Euros.  This is dumb and inefficient - even worse, they pass this inefficiency off on me.  Give customers the option to pay in the currency of their choosing.

225 Replies 225

I am upset with this hidden fee also. I will also use Booking.com next time. Have used them before, and can recommend them!