Bad renter who ignored rules and hid an extra guest.

Roy728
Level 2
The Villages, FL

Bad renter who ignored rules and hid an extra guest.

I had a renter who booked for 2 guests, then had 3 staying the entire 4 days. He tried to conceal it but my security camera outside revealed the truth.

He also allowed smoking and ignored my exit instructions. The camera is disclosed in my listing.

I waited until he had vacated and gave his review, which I believe was good, before I confronted him. I asked him to pay the $25 per night fee for the extra guest. He became irate and vulgar in his message reply and threatened to change his review. 

I have not reviewed him yet, as he has just now agreed to pay the fee that I requested through ABnB. I was waiting as long as I could before the time ran out. 

I told him I would go easy on him if he made things right, but he said he would not be affected by a bad review, but he said I would ne negatively affected.

I see now that he has agreed to pay, but I am now seeing that a renter can change his review within 48 hours if it has not been published.

I am reluctant now to go easy on him since I may find that he has changed his review to a bad one. 

Is there a way to find out if he changed his review. I don't have to see it yet, but if he changed it after I confronted him, I imagine it is bad.

Suggestions?

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Roy728  No, there is no way you can find out if he changed his review.

Sometimes you have to weigh whether it is worth pursing additional charges to a guest for an extra person, or some damaged item, or simply letting it go and leaving an honest review to warn future hosts.

And what do you mean "go easy on him"? Your reviews of guests should always be honest- if a guest has ignored your house rules and guest counts that needs to be mentioned. 

Also, hosts or guests telling one another that they won't leave a bad review if they pay up or refund, or whatever, is extortion. Good reviews are not currency to be exchanged for anything.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why on earth didn't you call the guest out on the first day you saw him breaking your house rules. You could easily have sent him a request saying you noticed four guests staying in a property booked for three and that he must have made an 'error' so you are sending him a request for the extra guest @Roy728 

By saying you will go easy on his review you are not only misleading other hosts who consider this person as a guest but you are breaking Airbnb's T&Cs for reviews and leading yourself open to them suspending your listings.

I know you are an experienced airbnb host, but would suggest you familiarise yourself more with how Airbnb works. The Airbnb Help Centre is good for the basics around how Airbnb works including a section on how the Airbnb Review system works.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Roy728  One thing I noticed when looking at your profile is that your responses to reviews are odd. 

To one guest who left a totally positive review, you responded about silverware, which was not anything mentioned in the review. I assume it was mentioned in private feedback, which is never something you should respond to in the public review. Only address the public review itself.

Then to another guest who simply mentioned that it was an older home, but wasn't complaining about that, but did mention that the cleaners could have done a better job, your response was

"Apparently Betty is used to staying in fancier places that look like model homes."

That's a very unprofessional way to respond. You shouldn't speculate on a guest's state of mind.  And if a guest mentions a cleaning issue, a response which makes you look like an attentive host would be, "I'm sorry you found the cleaning to be lacking. I've not had that complaint before, quite the opposite, but will check with my cleaners to find out what might have happened."

Good hosts accept criticisms and suggestions graciously. Your responses appear on your review page, not the guest's and are read by prospective future guests.