Bait and Switch (Change is needed)

Bait and Switch (Change is needed)

We're James and Joshua. It's a pleasure to have a moment of your time. Recently, I( Joshua ) began a quest for a stay in West Hollywood, California. A comfortable nice stay where I could feel welcome to express myself. I chose this location for it's known community inclusion and closeness to my friends and family who live in the West Hollywood province.

The host: "Grace" states: I've been hosting with AirBnB for over 5 years now, I take pride in always presenting my guests with A+ service and cleanliness. Traveling is my passion, and I know how important it is to feel comfortable, and safe while traveling, which helps me make those things my TOP priority!"

This listing originally clearly stated it was located in: "West Hollywood,"
it bolstered this front and center.

Both listing's state they are located in West Hollywood, however, when I made my reservation, I received this email.
"Address:
xxxx Orchid Ave. #303 Los Angeles, CA. 90028
Please Note, It is NOT [xxxx] N Formosa Ave, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90046.

This is done for city regulatory reasons."

West Hollywood in particular has many regulatory requirements for Airbnb'ing your property. This could be true however the actual property on Orchid Ave, isn't actually located in West Hollywood. It's located in Hollywood, 1.5miles away from the address provided. 2000+ Meters, or 8 times greater than the Airbnb regulatory guidelines that state's a property must be within 250 meters of the listings address provided.

I reported this to AirBnB immediately, this listing was a scam, and I it's victim. This is the classic bait and switch. I was lured by the appeal of staying in West Hollywood, a place known for it's prideful inclusion, luxury shops and upscale living. A walks distance from the greatest attractions of Hollywood. The actual location is still technically in Hollywood, however it's quite a step down from the listed address, and while it may feature some attraction near it that are LIKE what originally I sought to experience, it's not actually located in West Hollywood and there is the lie. That's the nature of a bait and switch. This property isn't in West Hollywood, and isn't a cute bright yellow stand-alone condo like shown on google, It's a studio apartment located in Hollywood in a big dark gray building. How is this in any way shape or form,  reflective of our host Supposed top priorities, " To feel comfortable, and safe while traveling". It's not and it's not reflective of the Policies Airbnb has for it's host.

Most people wouldn't have known the difference and from their reviews, you can tell this listing has deceived quite a few users who were scammed like me by Grace, if there even is a Grace, her no named Co-Host and her cleverly advertised non-west (((Hollywood)))Condo's. However, upon further investigation, I did see there's a 50 year old man by the name of "Craig. E Shapiro" who apparently resides in the unit. 

This the kind of behavior that pisses me off and enough is enough. I'm requesting that Airbnb do more, and put an ending to listing and host who have no respect for the Policies and Regulations that are provided by their county as well as the platform Airbnb. They ruin this experience and create negative one's that tarnish the brand and create challenges for others that seek to use the platform for it's intended purposes. Our ambassador is bound by rules and regulations that govern his abilities and actions and he is accountable to those actions. Just as host should be.

This practice of Fraud is dangerous to the user and greater community, and should be treated with immediate delisting and termination as it endangers others. In communities around the world this is happening and thankfully I hadn't checked in. I ask that Airbnb uphold is userbase to the same standards as their employees and to take actionable changes that put an END to bait and switch.

Airbnb informed me my refund would be issued immediately and that's excellent, however I won't stay silent about my experiences with this scammer. Airbnb stated it would further it's investigation of the Host, as their listing's featured multiple reviews, and would request their listing be updated to reflect the accurate details. This isn't enough. Bait and switch listings have plagued the AirBnb community. It puts users at risk of harm and places us in uncomfortable and unpleasant situations we shouldn't have to endure any longer. It's time Airbnb listened to our voices and put to action more severe consequences for violators.

This is our story and I hope other's will speak up so we can enact change our community needs. Thank you for listening.
photo_2022-10-12_19-20-10.jpgProof 2.jpgProof.pngproof3.png

1 Reply 1
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Joshua845 

"this is done for city regulatory reasons"

Seems fraud to me.