Bbq damage

Vincent901
Level 2
Whitefish, MT

Bbq damage

I have a small propane bbq at my rental. It was told to me that the guests were warming it up and there was a fire started in it they said was started by grease. It has been cleaned recently. It got so hot it melted the knobs off and smoke damage the outside of the building. I had a neighbor tell me he had to go over and tell the renters that the bbq was on fire. They didn't inform me untill there last day and I had to get a new replacement stove and have the house repaired for a flip day. Do I charge the renters for a new stove and cleaning.

1 Reply 1
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Vincent901 you can try, but be prepared for the guests to decline to pay, saying the fire resulted from the grill being unclean, and for Airbnb to side with them, and for them to leave you a retaliatory review.

I think in your shoes I would probably be more concerned with figuring out whether/how you can make the grill safely available in future. It must be cleaned before every guest, it must not be close to the house, etc..

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place