Being able to see profiles for ALL potential guests before booking

Trayce0
Level 2
Bonsall, CA

Being able to see profiles for ALL potential guests before booking

I've searched the conversations, but can't find a thread on this, nor a solution, so if there are either of those things out there, please enlighten me.

I believe hosts should be able to see reviews on profiles for ALL potential guests before confirming a stay. I've been caught out twice now with this problem: The guest that is booking the stay has only 1 to 3 reviews, and they are all good (or at least acceptable) from hosts saying they would have the person back. However, it's clear there will be two people staying (most often a couple). The booking guest meets all my criteria (it's set high), so I confirm the booking, but only AFTER confirming can I see the profile of the booking guest's partner. And the partner has several terrible reviews describing poor behavior and/or damage to the property (some reviews even mention the booking guest, so it's not like they changed partners). Now I'm stuck hosting guests whom I would *not* have approved had I been able to see BOTH guests' reviews/profiles. Asking about canceling just brings threats from CS about penalties and such.

I LIVE here. I rent my guest room out to help pay off debts I've incurred faster. I DO my research (as far as I'm able), and I ask questions (but there's only so much you can ask without being intrusive) before accepting a booking. I've learned about finding the sweet spot where I'm competitively priced, and I'm mostly attracting compatible guests. Unfortunately, nothing works 100% of the time. The few instances I've dealt with this, the guests were nice enough people, and I've pointed to house rules and politely asked that they do better with cleaning up after themselves, but they either don't know how or come from a background where being clean is not a priority. I feel I would have *known* there would be a problem had I been able to read reviews on *both* guest profiles before accepting.

My opinion is it would be a simple fix for AirBnB to allow hosts to see profile reviews for ALL potential guests prior to accepting a stay. Going to the customer service chat - even for Superhosts - has never resolved anything for me.

Are there any other hosts who feel the ability to view the profiles of ALL potential guests before approving a stay would decrease problems and increase positive reviews?

11 Replies 11

@Trayce0  It's surprising that the guest who booked actually linked the badly reviewed partner's Airbnb profile to the reservation in the first place, since that step is completely optional. Only one person in the booking is required to have a profile at all. That's a fact that is not going to change.

But there is one way to make sure you see the profiles for all potential guests before confirming:  set the maximum occupancy to 1. 

I didn't realize listing the second person's profile is optional, so thank you for that info. I always thought that must be something they're asked to do when they book.

I actually did change my listing to be optimally priced for one person, and then added the "extra charge for second guest" to encourage more single-people bookings. I don't want to exclude couples altogether tho, as a) I've had several couples stay who were lovely, and b) I have a king-size bed, and what a waste that would be! LOL

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Trayce0 

I agree that Airbnb should make this a standard requirement. I have hosted stays where the booking guest has been fine but their partner is a nightmare. Not only does it make the stay difficult, but you are then in the awkward position of leaving a negative review on the profile of the person who was actually okay. I would also prefer it if the correspondence is with both parties, so you can make sure they both understand the house rules etc. What I have found is that it's normally the second guest who breaks rules and that's probably because they've never read them and often they've barely looked at the listing. 

However, the secondary guest doesn't always have an Airbnb account and would then have to create one and Airbnb does everything it can to make booking easier and faster for guests, regardless of whether or not that is to the detriment of hosts. They just want to get their commission and I don't think that is going to change.

However, you could always ask the booking guest to send a link to the profile of the additional guest and make this a requirement of booking with you. I don't think that's a big ask. If the guest gets weird about it, I'd take that as a red flag (in most cases). I have had a few instances of people trying to make third party bookings for friends or family members. I always insist that the guests who will be staying must book from their own profile. Often, I have met with resistance and excuses (e.g. it's not possible to book Airbnb in China, which is nonsense. I've hosted loads of Chinese guests), which tells me straight away this is not going to work out well. Like you, I want to know who is staying in my home.

@Huma0  When I book a group trip under my account, I take it as a given that the accountability falls on me if my companions cause any trouble or damage. It's on me to be the enforcer on site, even if my mates didn't read the rules. But some guests have to learn this the hard way. 

@Trayce0  Borrowing a quote from one of our laid-back CC contributors:  "Yikes dude, just saw your last review. Whatever you did at that Airbnb, don't do it here, OK?"

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anonymous 

You would think so, right? I mean, that's logical.

I stayed in an Airbnb in Athens with a large group. The place was immaculate. In the guidebook, the host asked to take the trash out to some nearby bins before checking out. It was hot as hades and there you have to put your toilet paper in the bins, so I totally understand why.

Yet, all the adults in the group (bar me and a couple who were also Airbnb hosts) decided it was unnecessary to do this. We had been allowed a late check out, so there really was no excuse, but they just couldn't be bothered. 

I (and the host couple) had to explain to them that this was literally the only thing the host had asked us to do. They still didn't care. Then I asked them, "Do you really want X (booking guest) to get a bad review because we couldn't be bothered to do this?"

It had actually never even occurred to them. At this point, everyone started cleaning the apartment frantically and they did take out the trash.

@Anonymous  I wish everyone adhered to your level of personal responsibility! You can stay at my place anytime! LOL Alas, Americans especially seem to have trouble with that kind of thinking. 😕

I will have to go check out this "yikes" review! O.o

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Trayce0 

In my experience, Americans often come with different (higher) expectations when it comes to anything to do with service. I mean America is famed for its high level of service, isn't it?

I have two American guests staying with me at the moment and last night we were having a discussion about this, but it was about ordering in restaurants and specifically asking for stuff that is not on the menu. They told me that in America, that is completely normal, as the attitude is that, if you are paying for it, you should get what you want, rather than what is advertised. I have found that can apply too when they are staying in Airbnbs.

Americans are not the only ones though. My family comes from Pakistan, and I know that in India and Pakistan, there is a very similar attitude. Another recent guest, who was from India and training as a chef in a Michelin 2* restaurant here, said that Indian customers did this ALL the time and that it was infuriating. 

@Huma0  All sound advice! And points well made for both sides!

I like your idea of asking them to send a link to the other guest's profile when chatting before booking - is that even possible? I know often if I try to send a link, even to my guidebook, AirBnB deletes it from the thread. I feel slightly guilty about asking *too* many questions, as it seems improper, but perhaps when put in terms of "this is my home you'll be occupying, and I'll be here, too" it's not as terrible as it sounds otherwise. You are absolutely right about excuses, as well. As soon as I start hearing excuses, those are big red flags. Many thanks for your thoughts!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Trayce0 

There is an option to have add the additional guests to the booking as co-guests, IF they also have Airbnb profiles, and it is something I sometimes used to ask guests to do when I still hosted couples/pairs. Here is how it is done: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1175/share-trip-details-with-other-guests

However, what I did notice is that nothing appears when you then click to see the other guest's profile. The details for that guest only seem to be visible AFTER the booking is confirmed and I do not know why that is. For me, it kind of defeats the purpose. Also, I don't think that the additional guest sees the message thread, even if they are linked on the booking. They just get the itinerary and the host's contact details.  

I could be wrong about that last point though. Perhaps someone who knows more about this  or who has used Airbnb as a co-guest could advise?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I hold who made the booking totally responsible since I have no clue who else came or why and 99% of the time it works out. Perhaps is because I do remind the one that made the reservation that: "You are most welcomed to add more (up to 8), that you feel our place will also fit them."

Everyone has golfing or poker 'dear' friends, doesn't mean they will also feel the same way about going now to 'Timbuktu' that offers neither of those things they have in common.

@Fred13  When I have to remind a guest of house rules (so far it's always been about keeping the kitchen clean), even if I'm texting with the guest(s) on our regular phones for the most part (I use a Google number for that), I do text them through the AirBnB app in hopes they will realize "I am serious, and you are responsible as the person who made the reservation." So far, it's always gained an apology and a positive change in behavior, but not always the level of cleanliness I'd hoped. Some people just have a different idea of "clean," and that's fine, but if it's *too* far from my standards, then I'd rather they book elsewhere.

I'm still annoyed that it could've been avoided altogether if I had seen the partner's profile before accepting the booking. I've stopped accepting bookings from people with no reviews at all. I feel bad that I'm judging new profiles like that - I mean, new people sign up to AirBnB every day, and I want to be helpful in getting them started. But usually what's happened is the partner's profile is compromised with bad reviews, so they just had their significant other sign up instead where people can't see the trouble other hosts have had. I don't appreciate deception in anyone, least of all in people staying in my home.