Being punished for not accepting inquiries?

Mamode0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Being punished for not accepting inquiries?

So as a new host I’m eager to invite new people but also weary of things that might go wrong. Since joining I have been getting a lot of long booking inquiries 2-4 weeks from new accounts with no verification and no reviews. Of course I don’t want to accept these as i know nothing about them and a few I’ve guessed are from my own city.  They could be renting it to do anything! 

Is there a way where denying people who don’t meet your requirements won’t effect your progression? Because it does feel like we are being encouraged to just accept accept accept, without considering who we are letting into our homes and what their intentions maybe. 

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Mamode0 

There are "inquiries" and "booking requests". These are different.

An "inquiry" is only a question,no obligation to decline or pre-approve, just sent an answer withn the time limit.

A "booking request" must be accepted or declined within the time limit. But if the guest wants  something which is not offered in the listing, just ask the guest to retract the booking request.

Mamode0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Ohh, I thought I had to either pre-approve or deny after sending the message. All those inquiries I’ve rejected needlessly. 

Thanks also for the tip about asking guests to retract booking requests if they ask for something not offered. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

I suggest to you, is to spend a couple of hours a day on a computer and go through the Airbnb web site back to front and learn how it works, Not on your phone that is only the app,

You can also go on to You Tube there is loads of channels on there telling you how to make money with Airbnb,

Also learn how to turn them "Inquiries" in to "Bookings" otherwise you are leaving money on the table, I feel it's must to reply to any sort of inquiry and answer their questions if they have any, I have turned many inquiry in to a booking.

I always say something like "Thanks for your Inquiry I'm sure you would enjoy your stay should you book my place" and if you have any questions please feel free to ask, Thanks again!,

Go through your listing on a regular basis make sure nothing has changed, it does happen bye the way it's upto you to check,

Play around with your Title and Description.

I have been on Airbnb many years I still take a look everyday, Good Luck