Booking "request" from a guest who should have been able to instant book. What am I missing?

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

Booking "request" from a guest who should have been able to instant book. What am I missing?

So, this has happened a couple of times: A guest with multiple "rave" reviews and all verifications, ID, etc. (meets my criteria for IB) submits a booking request instead of instant booking. 

The first time this happened I was a bit confused. The guest looked good and had over 30 good reviews. I asked him what was up with that and he never responded, so I let it go. 

This time I just got another request. The guest has multiple reviews- he seems to be sensitive to noise and has left other reservations early for various reasons- bit still has over 16 reviews with a 5* average. 

Could this have anything to do with a host indicating they "would not host again?"

It's confusing to me. It seems to me that there is something preventing him from instant booking. 

Thanks for any info. Kia

55 Replies 55
Karla533
Level 10
Santa Fe, NM

@Kia272  This kept happening to me, too.

My theory is the same as yours, that this happens when a host says "No" when asked if they would host this guest again. Perhaps even if the host gives that same person 5 stars for whatever silly reason.

What I decided to do is: I am using IB again, after taking a break for awhile, but I also checked the box that every guest is required to send me a message.

Since I'm fully booked for many months the messaging is not a nuisance at the moment. The message requirement ensures the guest knows how messaging works on ABB, and I get a chance to look them over a little bit.

So far I have had only 1 IB guest that I would not host again, and her reviews were fine (not stellar). I left her a negative review and she wrote back irritated and accusing me of unfairness. I responded with my list of complaints (broken glass not cleaned up nor was I notified, multiple stains on the rugs, filthy washing machine (how?), moved my furniture all around...it was a long list)

@Karla533  Thanks for your response. Interesting that we have the same theory, but I'm stupefied by the fact that these things remain a mystery for hosts. Why can't AirBnB just clarify all of this?? 

I've been fine with IB, and yes- I too require a message. I just wonder about these folks with multiple "good" reviews that can't IB. 

The other guy that I accepted with this situation seemed fine, but was quite different in person than his tone while messaging, which had been warm and friendly.  

He actually left me a fine review, but I checked the box that I wouldn't host again. 

This current guy (again- 5* average) had made multiple comments in his reviews left for other hosts about noise. My listing is very clear that there is potential for noise- roosters, dogs barking, sump pump, etc.- so I messaged him back and asked if he was clear on the noise potential- and he said yes. 

So now that I have it in writing, I'm taking a chance and accepted the booking. That doesn't mean he can't complain about noise, but now I have some ammunition if that happens. 

Cheers, Kia

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kia272 

Just because a guest doesn't instant book, that doesn't necessarily mean they can't. 

1. A lot of guests don't understand the difference between IB, request to book and enquiries and that includes many 'experienced' guests. I have been encountering more on this lately and there is a current discussion on another thread about this, i.e. has something changed on the Airbnb interface to make this less clear to guests?

2. Even if a guest could IB, some just don't use that function. They prefer to have some sort of interaction with the host before they book, which I totally understand, especially if it's for a longer booking or it's just a big spend for them. There are lots of stories about scamming hosts as well as scamming guests. Some guests just like the reassurance of knowing that a host is a real person and will respond to their messages in a timely and helpful manner.

Having said that, yes, there are the instances where a guest seemingly has good reviews but is maybe unable to book because someone said 'no, would not host again', or 'would not recommend' or a thumbs down as it once used to be. I have definitely encountered a few of these before and it's annoying to have to do detective work to figure out what's going on.

Yes, for sure Airbnb could make it so much easier by telling us why the guest can't instant book, i.e. flagging it up, but really, do you honestly think they are going to do that? Airbnb wants us to accept as many bookings as possible, hence the whole existence of the Acceptance Rate criteria, dropping listings down in the searches when hosts decline requests and sending warning to those hosts that apparently do it 'too often'. Actually, hence the whole existence of IB in the first place. Then there is the whole question of why so many scammers are apparently 'verified' by Airbnb or that guests who are proven scammers and reported are not removed from the platform.

Certainly, it would be useful if hosts did not leave positive reviews and 5* ratings and then click on, 'no, would not host again,' as it's not exactly helpful to other hosts. On the other hand, if a guest has a lot of reviews, like some of the guests you mention, the host who didn't want to host them again might not have left 5* but the average still comes to that because the other hosts did. Some sort of warning in the review itself would be more insightful, but I can see why so many hosts are fearful of writing anything too negative there.

@Huma0 When booking, guests do not have the option to decide whether they want to instant book or request. They can always inquire but when it comes time to proceed with the booking they will either see a big "Confirm and Pay" button or a "Request to Book" Button. The Airbnb system does not give them a choice.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 

Interesting. How do you know all this stuff?! I try to keep up to date with it but some things remain a mystery to me...

I noticed also from the guest perspective that it was not clear if you were doing an IB or not. This would explain why recently, so many guests seem confused about the booking process.

@Huma0 I've attempted to book a lot of listings. It's a good way to learn about the guest process. And I like to see what other hosts set as pre-booking messages. You can do so too, just select dates and click 'reserve' on any listing other than your own. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 

I'm always scared that I'll book a place by mistake. I know you have to confirm the booking, but the Airbnb system is so glitchy, I get paranoid about it.

This has been occurring for me more and more as well.

I think it would be very helpful for Airbnb to list the total number of stays, and a rough timeline, like over a two or three year period (depending on when they started renting). The fact that a guest started an account in 2010 and has one 5-star review makes me skeptical.

A couple often has a one or two 5 star reviews, but when staying with a group, or kids or pets, may garner a very different star rating under those conditions.
 When I get a booking for 8 adults, but the only reviews are as a couple, I am skeptical and I try ask more questions about who is in the group. 

I also think the majority of guests don’t actually read my listing details or requirements so I have to re state my 48 hr ID and rental agreement return screening window to test if they can follow simple rules or get annoyed, and cancel if I have low confidence they will then respect my home.

@Yvonne41there are lots of things ABB could do to make guest info more meaningful. As it is, I really discount any good reviews because I know how most hosts live in fear of leaving a poor one. ABB cares that guests keep booking and are relying on majority numbers-- the majority of guests are decent to good. When you do get a bad apple they are so foot draggingly slow to do ANYTHING even with abundant proof. Yet they will shutter a good listing if a guest hints that they might have a camera--without hesitation or explanation. That tells me that they could not care less about removing or flagging poor guests and will spend their energy policing hosts for imaginary transgressions. They seem to believe that as long as their are guests to book, the supply of hosts will be bottomless.

@Kia272 @Karla533 my lowest rating review was given (2 stars review) by such guest. He sent a inquiry with a few questions, and satisfied with the answers. Then sent an request without just IB. I felt strange and a bad feeling. So I confirmed he understood my house is an older house, no dishwasher etc. He said yes. He had a few 5 stars. Not just 5 stars, perfect reviews, I accept him. Turn out the first thing he complain was the house is too old. Sure he didn’t wrote that in the review but said we had a unsafe driving way which is not true at all. Anyway, after that. I think about why he sent request instead of IB. I guess the previous host might checked “not host again”. 

@Kia272 @Karla533 

If I have instant book turned on with a pre-booking message required, can guests still instantly book without a host's response to their pre-booking message?

I too recently received a booking request from someone (all 5 stars) who appeared to have met all my instant booking requirements, but didn't/couldn't. I didn't know why they didn't book instantly. In the end, I assumed it meant a past host had clicked "no" to "would you host again".

@Amanda1775  As I understand it, yes- they can IB if they meet all of a host's requirements. They could type pure nonsense in the message and they could still IB. My listing asks for them to answer some brief questions in their message to me. If they don't, I message back. 

The point here being that as hosts, we are a bit mystified by why this is happening. I am working on assumption here- that it's because a previous host clicked the box for would not host again. 

I definitely wish that it wasn't such a mystery- that AirBnB would provide accurate info. 

Oh well. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kia272  Are guests who would meet your IB requirements actually prevented from sending a booking request? 

I ask because some of my guests (especially single women) have told me they would never instant book a place- they want to get a sense of the host through a message exchange and may have a question or two. 

Of course in that case they should send an Inquiry, not a Request, but some guests are unclear on that. (Not surprising, as Airbnb doesn't educate guests on the difference)

@Sarah977 My impression is that they are not able to IB, even though they appear qualified to do so. The two times this has happened has been with guests who have multiple high ratings and verified ID, etc. They aren't actually inquiring about or asking anything. They are ready to book, but somehow can't. Hence the mystery/confusion.