Brand NEW renovated apt. for 4 in city centre AMS!

Timothy412
Level 1
Bradford, United Kingdom

Brand NEW renovated apt. for 4 in city centre AMS!

My family and I wanted to share our horrific, difficult, and lengthy experience of dealing with Airbnb and one of their hosts.

We made a reservation to stay at “Brand NEW renovated apt. for 4 in city centre AMS!” Amsterdam.

Unfortunately, through no fault of our own we had to cancel our reservation due to a technicality on one of the Government Covid forms (this was not known at the time of booking and the form could not be completed until the flights and accommodation were booked). Incidentally, after explaining this problem to KLM airlines they immediately issued us with a full refund.

Just over 24 hrs after making our reservation, (as noted above) we had to cancel. The host initially offered us no refund despite our explanation and legitimate reason for cancelling. He could have at least offered to move the dates.

The host did eventually offer us a refund, on the condition that, he received another booking for the same dates. This happened, however, he then went back on his word and did not offer to return our money

We reported this matter to Airbnb who were equally unhelpful. It’s incredibly difficult to communicate with anyone who works for Airbnb. Eventually having established contact, we then were able to explain our situation in great detail along with sharing all our communications with the host. The nett result was nothing whatsoever being resolved.

Finally, it is worth noting that the replies and level of assistance received from the Airbnb team was to say the least, extremely poor!

At a time when the world in a mess, a little common decency wouldn’t go a miss.

6 Replies 6
Dora486
Level 10
Frigiliana, Spain

Can’t you claim on your travel insurance?

Timothy412
Level 1
Bradford, United Kingdom

Thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately as the legislation was there, all be it hidden at the time of our booking there is nothing they can do. It's crazy as we could not have known about the issue until we'd booked flights and accommodation as this information is required on the government form. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Timothy412 

I try to avoid Airbnb support whenever possible, just for that reason. It's often futile, if not extremely frustrating. 

But your case is one where you just can't avoid it. I know it's like talking to a brick wall, having to break explain over and over, and then nothing happens. Very frustrating. 

You just have to keep at them. That's all you can do. Hint: avoid personal insults and accusations. They have the power to just cut you off, with no recourse. End of discussion. Be nice, but persistent. 

Good luck. 

Timothy412
Level 1
Bradford, United Kingdom

Thank you, it's very difficult not to lower yourself to their level when something like this happens. I keep asking my parents and a legal friend to review before I post or say anything.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Timothy412 

I am sorry about your situation but, if I were you, I wouldn't waste more time trying to get assistance from Airbnb CS because you don't really have a case here.

Early on in the pandemic, Airbnb was issuing refunds to all guests who had to cancel due to COVID related issues, but this has not been the case for a very long time. Those refunds only apply to bookings made before 14th March 2020. The reasoning is:

"Our extenuating circumstances policy is intended to protect guests and hosts from unforeseen circumstances that arise after booking. After the declaration of COVID-19 as a global pandemic by the World Health Organization, the extenuating circumstances policy no longer applies because COVID-19 and its consequences are no longer unforeseen or unexpected. Please remember to carefully review the host's cancellation policy when booking and consider choosing an option that provides flexibility."

Now, I don't know what technicality is preventing you from going on your trip, as you haven't specified that, but it is your responsibility to  check the cancellation policy and any relevant travel restrictions/requirements. Even if you can't complete the form before booking flights and accommodation, surely you were able to see what was required?

If your travel insurance won't cover you due to this mistake, then why would you expect the host to act as your travel insurer instead? 

Personally, I would refund a guest if they cancelled within 24 hours, providing the booking wasn't last minute. It is a shame that your host went back on his promise to refund you should the nights be rebooked. However, technically, he is not under any obligation to do so. He has a right to stick to the cancellation policy that is stated on his listing and which you agreed to.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's just how it is and would explain why you are not getting anywhere with Airbnb CS.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Timothy412  It's important to read all the terms of the cancellation policy in place for whatever listing you book before actually booking it, because it is a binding contract you agree to by booking.

While some hosts may be amenable to a change of dates, or offer and follow through on a promise to refund any dates they can manage to rebook, they have no obligation to do so.

So it's wise to cover yourself by taking out travel insurance. 

I hate when guests say the host made promises they then reneged on- that's so unethical and hosts like that give Airbnb a bad name. If they have no intention to refund, they should just say that- "Sorry, but I am sticking to the terms of my cancellation policy", not lie.

One thing to be aware of, though. Just because you see dates you cancelled marked subsequently as unavailable doesn't mean they got rebooked. Hosts block dates for all sorts of reasons. Maybe they decided to take a holiday themselves, maybe friends or family are going to stay there, maybe they decided to do some renovations. Some hosts decide to block dates over holidays because people come to party at that time of year and they want to avoid getting guests who may trash the house. 

So you really never know for sure why the dates show as blocked.