COVID cancellations 2021

Lew134
Level 1
Mosman, Australia

COVID cancellations 2021

Hi all,

I have a guest asking what happens if she cancels her June booking due to COVID in her area (Melbourne). By the book, host cancellations rules apply (mine are strict, so she would lose 100% at less than 30 days out), and she has no cover under airbnb extenuating circumstances policy.

She has suggested moving it to a future date - but no penalty to her. There's no chance I will fill that spot now with 2 weeks to go.

My options are:

a) stick with 100% cancellation policy and presume she won't re-book

b) let her shift the dates no penalty

c) let her shift the dates, but say with a 50% discount on new dates

Any options or opinions gratefully received.

Regards, Lew

2 Replies 2
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lew134 I would tell her that you will refund proportionately if you're able to get some or all of the dates re-booked. I wouldn't offer to fully refund or change the dates at no penalty to her. Guests should have their own travel insurance: she knew your cancellation policy when she booked, and people should be well aware by now that Covid can throw a spanner in the works at any time. I don't think you as a host should feel an obligation to act as her insurance because she didn't plan for an entirely forseeable situation. 

You're correct: Extenuating Circumstances shouldn't apply here. 

Fran2
Level 10
Launceston, Australia

The Australian State of Victoria is in lockdown due to COVID. She will be refunded as per ABB’a rules. She is not allowed to travel outside 5 km of her home