Can I cancel without penelty

Chrissy35
Level 2
Port Willunga, Australia

Can I cancel without penelty

What should I do? I have just had someone book into my place for 2 Adults and now I find out they are bringing their 8 year old child with them. It’s only because they asked if the could bring the 8 year olds service dog that I asked if he was staying and said my place is only suitable for two people. And he was like it’s ok he will crash with us. My house rules state that the studio is not suitable for children 2-12 and It only accommodates 2 people. Am I able to cancel without penalty as he clearly booked giving false information. 

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Chrissy35 Do not cancel. Message the guest and ask them to cancel as your listing clearly states max 2 people occupancy. Warn them that they will not be able to access the property with 3 people.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry I disagree with @Mike-And-Jane0  on this one. When this has happened to me I contacted Airbnb and asked them to do a penalty free cancellation as the guest wanted to bring a third person to stay in a property that had a maximum of two people and they cancelled straight away. 

It is not up to the guest to decide that they can break your rules by bringing an additional person.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Tell them to cancel asap as you will only refund if rebooked,  that usually puts a rocket under the guests.  Tell them  insurance etc only covers your max, which is two. No way will you bend on this.

Chrissy35
Level 2
Port Willunga, Australia

They have sent through a request through the app for me to cancel, but the notification says if I do cancellation penalties will still apply. I have sent through another message to support but still have not received any answers from them. I’m just going to wait until I hear back from CS.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Chrissy35 

Do not accept the request. You will be penalised in the same way as if you had made the cancellation yourself.

Tell the guests you cannot accept the cancellation and that they will have to cancel from their end, or, if this means they will not get a full refund/the guests refuse to cancel, chase CS again for a penalty free cancellation. 

Chrissy35
Level 2
Port Willunga, Australia

Thanks everyone, I have finally heard back from CS and they have cancelled the booking penalty free. Glad I waited to hear back from them. 
Also now know what to do in future 😀